“Pretty generic, but served its purpose”

Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
Ranked #15 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here in order to attend a concert at the Austin Music Hall, which was about a 7 minute walk up the street. For us, location was wonderful. It was very easy to access from the highway (we drove from Dallas) and easy to get around the city with GPS.

Valet parking here can be nightmarish...lots of long waits to park and leave keys as well as to retrieve the car when leaving. The valet stand had 3 or 4 staff working it, but it still wasn't enough.

Most of the hotel staff from the sidewalk to the check-in appeared to be college aged kids, and in fact most of the guests were too the weekend we were there. Finding ear plugs already provided on the bedside table had me fearing the worst, but we never needed them, which was a nice surprise!

The hotel is pretty big and because of that has an "every floor looks the same, and all guests blend together" feel to it. But that comes with a big chain hotel.

The room was clean, quiet and roomy enough for us. Could have used a bit more counterspace in the bathroom, but everything there was fine too.

Breakfast buffet was robust and good but hard to find a table both mornings we were there.

While this was a pretty generic hotel experience, we'd probably return if in the area again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Tyler A, Manager at Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

On behalf of the entire team here at the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, we thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your review. We are sorry to hear you encountered delays with Valet service and please know that we are making efforts to limit the wait time. We thank you for your feedback.

The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Austin Downtown

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night. It was a good experience, and I plan stay here again the next time I come to Austin.

The (very) good: I was able to make my reservation the same day at an excellent rate. The location is super convenient to 6th St., the convention center and Zilker park. The staff--from the valet to the front desk--was super friendly. The design of the hotel was modern throughout. The hotel seems recently built--the rooms and furniture seemed new and not very worn. The rooms were a decent size. I especially appreciated that my standard room had a desk area as well as a comfortable couch area. Our room on the 15th floor faced I-35 in the distance, and the view was good. The elevator got us to the 15th floor quickly every time. The valet had asked me when I arrived when I planned to be leaving at check-out, and the next morning, my car was waiting curbside right on time.

Breakfast was included in my room rate, but I went out for all my meals, so I can't comment on it beyond sharing that other guests seemed happy with it, based on comments I heard in the elevator and lobby.

The (not so) bad: If I had any criticism of the hotel, it is that the walls seemed a tad thin. When I got back from 6th St. about 3 a.m. and settled down to sleep, I could hear the young couple in the next room at their, um, peak volume. It was not anywhere near loud enough to keep me from getting to sleep, my buddy who shared the room didn't even notice it, and had I gone to sleep at a reasonable hour, I would not have noticed it, either, but if you're hyper sensitive to noise like I am, you might want to mention that to the front desk when arriving so they can factor that in to your room selection.

Beyond that, if you have feather allergies, you might want to ask for an allergen-free room. I got the impression the pillows were down (I'm not 100% sure though).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

On behalf of the entire team here at the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, we thank you for choosing our hotel and for the outstanding review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Clean and comfy hotel. Spacious rooms. Minutes from downtown. Staff very friendly. Internet worked great. Nice business office. Morning breakfast was complimentary and was good. Far enough away you don't hear the music from 6th st. Lots of quality restaurants across the street from hotel. Also store located across the street in case you want beverages or snacks for the room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I can't say enough about the friendliness and helpfulness of the entire staff at this hotel. From delivering my suit to my room (I had left it in my car prior to valeting it) to the genuine level of concern/assistance I received when I thought I may have car trouble, the staff at this hotel takes customer service to another level! The room/bathroom were immaculate, the breakfast spread had variety and delicious options (right down to the tea choices), and the valet staff were a pleasure to work with!

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

On behalf of the entire team here at the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, we thank you for choosing our hotel and for the outstanding review. We are very pleased to hear your were taken care of and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,
The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown

Reviewed 28 June 2014

In town for National PTA Convention with delegates from all over the world. All the staff were very helpful, knowledgeable and welcomed you in every time you entered. Breakfast (Kitchen Skillet) was 5 steps above Continental & 1 step below Breakfast Buffet, I didn't have to make my own Waffles..Woohoo! Gallery Dining in hotel (24 hours service, a step above room service (some of the same foods as Applebee's), Very clean rooms with Flat screen TV, sitting area in every room, air condition worked well and very nice beds with great pillows. Location is great for a Downtown Hotel, surrounded by many eatery establishments, bicycle carriage rides, and local sight seeing places. I have some new friends that are the best workers at this hotel, thanks for all that you do on a daily basis for your clients.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Tyler A, Manager at Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Norvel J, we are so THANKFUL for your kind words! We are very happy to know that not only did you enjoy our hotel but that our staff took excellent care of you. We will be sure to share your comments with the team.

We look forward to your next trip to Austin,
The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown Team

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Place for a convention. It was very conveniently located next to the convention center. It was a very short and easy walk. The rooms were wonderful. I loved the free wifi and the breakfast was great. Everything was clean. The staff were very helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Tyler A, Manager at Hyatt Place Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for the excellent rating and for sharing your comments-- we truly appreciate it!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

From the first person who greets you, the staff here makes you feel welcome and is dedicated to making sure your stay is easy. The breakfast was good and hot - the food quickly replenished. Even though it was crowded, the tables were cleaned and there was always somewhere to sit. The hotel is close to everything - easy walk to the convention center. Sheets are nice, rooms are big, clean and new. I loved the towels. Overall, it was a perfect stay. I was here on business but would bring my family back because of its location, cleanliness and friendly staff. PS - the pool is indoors which is good for heat but bad for the tan. ; )

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Thank you Sarah G for the very kind words and excellent review! We appreciate knowing that you enjoyed the hotel enough to bring your family back. Your comments will be shared with our team and we appreciate your choice of the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown.