“More like San Francisco”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We were visiting our grandkids in Austin and wanted to take them somewhere different for dinner while Mom and Dad had an evening out. Our daughter suggested Hao-Q, also known as Hao Q and the website is haohaofarwest.com

The restaurant is in a simple strip center but the inside is very comfortable and the staff is welcoming. We were there around 7 on a Saturday evening and by 7:30 all tables were full. We get so used to eating Asian food and maybe not paying attention to the dishes we are used to. The steamed dumplings were amazing. So often the dough is thick and maybe a bit tough with a nondescript filling. These had a tasty pork filling that was very tender wrapped inside a very delicate thin dough. They melted in your mouth and were like some I tasted once in San Francisco. It was a perfect example of getting used to ordinary appetizers and being amazed when you taste a simple item that a chef has taken loving care making ($5.95 for 10). The grandkids shared chicken lo main and the one bite of chicken I tried was tender and flavorful. My husband had moo shu pork ($9.50) which he enjoyed a lot. I had the Neptune Platter ($13.00), sizzling shrimp, scallops, squid, mushrooms, onions, chestnuts, snow peas, broccoli and carrots in a light wine sauce. The seafood was perfectly cooked - meaning that some chef had not killed good raw seafood by overlooking it. The entire dish was delicious. Our mains came with fried or white rice and as expected, the portion size was very large...lots of leftovers - but not the dumplings. Two orders were devoured quickly. My son-in-law is very gluten sensitive and many diners do not realize that some sauses include gluten. The kitchen makes special sauces for him each time he visits AND they remember when he comes in that he has a problem with gluten. This has become the family Asian restaurant. There are two others in Austin owned by the same family, but each is managed by a different brother. I can strongly recommend the one on
Far West.

1  Thank Ann R

Reviewed 14 May 2013

A true neighborhood, mom & pop Asian restaurant with food that would rival the best of Chinatown in New York or San Francisco. Entering Hao Q, you are greeted by a lovely, young woman, Hong, who makes this dining experience very special. You are not a stranger there for a meal, but rather a new friend or a family member coming to enjoy an outstanding meal. After dining here 2 or 3 times, Hong recognizes you, addressing you by your first name and remembering your favorites. When I walk in, she immediately alerts her chef/husband to start preparing the crispy duck, which is the best I have ever had! General Tso's chicken is wonderful, and the pho is authentic and very tasty. Great place to meet friends, family for excellent meal in a family like atmosphere!

1  Thank Jerald M
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This is the best Chinese food I have ever eaten. I am in my 60s and have been to Chinese restaurants in Taipei, Hong Kong, Saigon, Vancouver, Toronto, San Francisco, and Chicago. The best places in all of these cities cannot hold a candle to Hao-Q. The flavor and seasoning are spectacular! The service is friendly and efficient. The prices are reasonable. The owners take the time to check on the needs of every table. The chef is highly skilled and very professional. Special requests? No problem. This is a family run business that does it right. My wife and I stop here every time we pass through Austin. 5 stars!!!!

Joe P.

2  Thank josephedward71
Reviewed 10 November 2012

This restaurant is a real find.
The food is wonderful and the staff is very welcoming.
You have to try the egg foo young if that is one of your favorites.

Reviewed 12 December 2006

We live close by to China Sea and it's a good family owned restaurant. The prices are reasonable and they have a selection of foods to choose from. There are other fantastic Chinese restaurants out there, but for the location, it's a good place to go too.

2  Thank luzababy

Been to Hao-Q Asian Kitchen? Share your experiences!