“Very good, but not great.”
Review of Wink Restaurant

Wink Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Wink Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #147 of 3,830 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$35 - US$45
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Recently had dinner with my wife and daughter at Wink after hearing great things and reading the reviews. We were a bit disappointed. While the food was very good, it fell well short of our Austin favorites (Uchi, Uchiko, Lenoir, Odd Duck, Mulberry, etc.). We had a variety of dishes (red pepper soup, two types of salad, mussels, lamb, fish, and a couple of desserts. While all were very good, none of them jumped out as outstanding. Perhaps just an off night.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

First, the food:
Amazing. We did the chef's tasting and everything was superb. Not one item was a let down and the food was as interesting as it was delicious.
Now, the service:
My husband took me here for my birthday and because the menu changes based on what's fresh, they printed a birthday message to me on my menu, and then all signed it at the end of the night. Likewise all the servers and the manager/owner came by to wish me a happy birthday and attended to us as if we were the only people in the restaurant. Overall they seemed to be genuinely friendly, down to earth and extremely professional people, and not just to me but to everyone in the restaurant.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just outside the center of the city. The menu changes regularly but everything looked great. Went with a friend who is local and we started with a soup, delicious, and then chose different entrees and both were outstanding. I had the Arctic Char and it was perfectly cooked. Recommend making reservations; we didn't, and the restaurant was full because it is so small but the staff was very friendly and accommodated us by letting us order from the restaurant menu while sitting at the bar. On the pricey side--soups/salads $12-15 and entrees $28-35 but definitely worth it if you want to treat yourself!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is probably one of the best meals I have had in a while for the $$$. Went to wink this past Saturday with another couple. Made reservations (highly recommended) and was glad we went at 6:30 because it filled up fast and there is not a whole lot of parking. Our waitress was so wonderful. Led us through the menu, which was not extensive but exceptionally varied. We each ordered something different in order to try a taste of as much as we could. All organic and as much locally sourced food as possible. The wine list was not what I would call huge, but offered great selections for every budget. Two of us had the romaine lettuce with chevré, walnuts, pickled berries, and vanilla vinaigrette (wow!) The vanilla vinaigrette was what made this dish. Our friend had the duck breast with navy beans, shiitakes, heirloom carrots, beet greens, and yozu kosho. The waitress suggested a medium rare and it was perfect. It was a lively and fun atmosphere and we will definitely be going back. My girlfriend ordered hanger steak with criminis, green beans, bitter greens, red potatoes, and crushed pepper mayonnaise. All of us shared a taste except her - would not give up a single bite! Hubby ordered black buck antelope with israeli couscous, fennel, kumato tomatoes, feta, and herbed goat yogurt, If you have never eaten antelope, I highly recommend this mild and tasty dish. I ordered the quail stuffed with farro and believe it was the best dish on the table. Roasted to perfection but the farro stuffing was what really made it shine. Desserts were amazing! I highly recommend the lemon meringue. You will not be disappointed by any of these selections! Make a reservation and go!

1  Thank samomma
Reviewed 29 May 2014

well, i guess i can say for texas it is good, but not really. the scallops were over salted and fishy. the salad was good, but tiny and a basic small starter salad for $14? or was it more? my boyfriend took me for a romantic dinner. i felt bad, the food was just average, definitely below standards for anyone who has dined in new york city, chicago or los angeles... over-priced. the service staff was polite, kept touching our shoulders which is odd i have to say, my boyfriend counted 12 shoulder touches during our 1.25 hour dinner. i get friendliness but i prefer good food. skip it and save the money. no offense meant to texans, i appreciate your bbq and tex mex, just this was... a waste :(

1  Thank Aquaks