“why wait 4 hours for your barbecue”
Review of John Muellers BBQ - CLOSED

John Muellers BBQ
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Concierge at Barton Creek advised us to stop by Muellers for Barbecue and it was a good thing I listened. Have made the Franklin's pilgrimage and although it lived up to it's billing, Muellers did not disappoint. In fact, i found the brisket exceptional if not better than the boys down the street. John, I'll be back next time I come through Austin and by the way thanks for the beer! Rick from Dallas

There are newer reviews for John Muellers BBQ

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sopped in on a recent BBQ trip to Austin. Having stopped in at many of the other top places in and around Austin, I really felt that this was the best I've had. We went on a weekday and showed up an hour before opening, fearful of the long lines at places like la BBQ and Franklin's, only to discover that there was just a single other person there and no one else showed up before opening, a welcome change in the Austin BBQ scene.

We were a little disappointed that they didn't have any beef ribs or their famous smoked squash that day, but we ordered everything else and sat down to eat.

This place definitely blew me away:
1) The brisket was moist and perfectly smoked, heavy on the black pepper in the Mueller tradition, but not nearly as overpowering as at Louie Mueller
2) The pork ribs were great with a sweet rub heavy on the black pepper
3) The pork shoulder was just awesome, sweet and smoky and dripping in flavour
4) The turkey and sausage were also delicious, and the BBQ sauce very non-traditional but awesome.

It was cheaper, a shorter (no) wait, and in my opinion better that its competitors in Austin, and highly recommended. I'd say go soon, because with BBQ this good, by next year I'm sure there will be a line

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We headed to John Mueller's after we found out the wait for Franklin's Barbecue was around ...waaaaaaay too long. Anyways, it got some good reviews in Texas Monthly Magazine which had done us well previously so we thought we'd check it out. The place was pretty unique, actually a little dirty or un-kept. All I care about it the brisket though. So the meat was good. It was peppery, and the sauce sweet? No that was peppery too. Everything seemed a little hot and peppery. It was good, but the lack of balance kept me from giving these guys a better rating. The brisket was a little over dry at the flat and the crusty peppery rub didn't seem to quite set into the meat. The sauce didn't quite compliment the meat. This place should still be on the stop list for barbecue fanatics, but it honestly wasn't my personal favorite. CASH ONLY! I had two sprint a mile or so to the nearest ATM and got back just in time to order with my wife. That made the experience kind of unique and funny!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We ordered ribs and brisket were not disappointed. It was a cool atmosphere - outdoors with picnic tables bad tent covering. Authentic and delicious BBQ. We will visit again.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

After reading all kinds of reviews about "the best" BBQ in Austin, we went to John Muellers Meat Company at 6th and Pedernales and I am glad we did. We got there at 10:30, just as he opened the gate, with about 30 people in line ahead of us. Once the line formed up inside the fenced area, John came around passing out Lone Stars. Some people brought their own coolers, which seems like a good idea to bring drinks (if you don't like Lone Star) and plates and maybe take home meat.

Since everything is cut and weighed to order, it took a little more than an hour to get to the counter. Everyone was there to have a good time and willing to talk while standing in line or sitting at the picnic tables, some of which were covered by an awning, some not.

Our group had just about everything on the menu, except the beef short ribs, which got crossed off the menu early. For everything that you order, the guy at the window throws a good sized sample on your tray (no plates, just wax paper) before he starts weighing. I don't know if this is the best in Austin since it was my first time in town, but it is darn (don't want to get censored) good - a whole other class meat from anything you will get in a regular restaurant - juicy, crusty, and peppery. I'll be back.