“Too many Errors, not enough Hits”
Review of Paggi House - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Riverside
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Some of the food was good, but some was just terrible. The lamb was so heavily seasoned you couldn't taste the lamb at all. The gnocchi was barely visible on the plate--a few tiny pieces. We were overcharged (they charge for bread-- in our case we ordered one order of bread that we shared, but they charged us for two; I didn't spot it until I got home). Worst-- we are handicapped and absolutely need to use the handrail on the staircase from the parking lot. It is steep and long. Some idiot wrapped Christmas lights around the handrail so that one cannot easily hold the handrail while walking up or down the stairs. Someone will have a nasty fall. I'm sure this is a safety violation. Anyway, my overall impression of this place is that they have a far better impression of themselves than I do of them, and they strut this attitude at you. It comes across in their food prep and their interior decor. They can keep their attitude... and any future business of mine that they thought they might get.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I met my friend in the Well Bar at Paggi House on a Wednesday night. This was my first time at the restaurant and I'd heard positive things about it. The decor was very sleek; it looks like a place with a scene, especially in the nice outdoor weather.

Although the happy hour drink prices were good, the bar waitstaff was unenthusiastic and underwhelming. My friend and I order entrees at our table in the bar. My friend ordered scallops and said it was outstanding. I ordered a lamb entree and it was really disappointing. The meat was overly full of fat. I didn't feel it was worth the price.

Again, throughout the meal the server didn't have much to do with us. I agree with another reviewer; skip eating in the bar.

1  Thank HumbleTexasPie
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We bought a half-price coupon for Paggi House and used it for a recent Sunday Brunch. We ate outside with music from a guitarist. The spread and amount of food for the price was extraordinary. Just get something else. This is a quiet, peaceful and styish retreat from the chaos of South Lamar.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Paggi House was a great total package: food, drinks, service, ambiance. We can't spend that much regularly, but will certainly come for another special occasion, or we hear Happy Hour is a great value. We requested a romantic table and were given a perfect one inside one of the lovely old house rooms near the fireplace. The decor is warm and elegant in the house. A little louder than we'd like, but there was a very large holiday party nearby. Atmosphere in the bar area (formerly the bricked porch) was VERY lively. Not what we were looking for, but clearly what many others were. Not sure how the outside seating areas will feel since it was a truly ugly night for Austin (drizzling and cold), and the outdoor areas were closed. Normally, I'd choose an outdoor table with the lake and skyline view.

PH has a long list of lovely special cocktails, and I chose the Skyline (Savvy Vodka, St. Germain, Orange Bitters, Lemon, and Prosecco). My husband picked the Ginger Twist (Maker's Mark Bourbon, Canton Ginger Liqueur, Lemon Juice, Orange Bitters). Loved them both. And they have a great wine list. Beer options were limited and not terribly exciting even though it is a GREAT time to be a craft beer lover in Austin (seriously, they need to improve by offering AUSTIN craft brews!)

PH says it is "proud to support local Texas Farmers, Ranchers, Foragers, and Artisans." And I believe the food quality was better for it. We shared three small plates: cast iron wild mushrooms, Texas beets with mascarpone, and cold smoked foie gras along with one large plate: Gulf grouper with lump crab. Finished with seasonal dessert of pumpkin, ginger ice cream, and beignets. We were stuffed, but cleaned our plates as they were all exceptionally good. Kudos to the creative and talented chefs. Note that while there are plenty of items for non-red-meat eaters, true vegetarians will be limited to mostly small plates and one large plate offering.

So, to sum...everyone involved in our evening visit (including the valets) did a wonderful job. We'll be back and recommend it to others.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Nice decor but not very much light in the bar. Also took forever to be served our 2 beverages. Deserts were tasty but still doesn't excuse the lack in service. Would go back again for dinner but surely not to eat or drink at the bar.

1  Thank Ross Q