“Sunday Brunch is great”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Riverside
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Had Easter brunch out on the patio this year and it was excellent. We had a choice of entrees with or without eggs. There was also a full buffet included that offered such unusual dishes like blue cheese grits and lemon poppy seed beignets. They really staggered the seating times so there was no rush and this allowed us to linger and enjoy

Reviewed 16 April 2014

their deck area is fantastic for a cool spring afternoon or evening! the indoor dining is stuffy and awkwardly quiet. it feels a little bit country club. but the food is fantastic!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We went to Paggi House when another restaurant we were planning to visit couldn't give us a table till 8:45 pm. Evidently this place has been around for a long time, but it is tucked away behind some storefronts at Riverside and Lamar and we had not been before. It is built on a small rise so one enters up a flight of stairs. It is a lovely little building with a large deck tented deck for al fresco dining and area with tables and sofas sunken into the deck for pre-dinner drinks. There are two dining rooms, high ceilings, dark walls and tables and a really lovely bar in the back. So far, so good…..we had wanted to sit inside as it was a bit on the warm and muggy side for us ( we were fresh off a plane from cold and rainy England!) but should have opted for the garden area as we were the only diners inside. The outside wasn't that busy either and there were only a couple of people in the bar area while we were there. Admittedly it was a Tuesday night, but this is Austin and folks eat out. A lot. As I said our first choice was booked up. What could be amiss. Well this is what I think. First of all, the service. The server was trying hard but he was hamstrung by a very old-fashioned vision of what service in an upscale restaurant should be. Stiff and mannered, all " Hi I am -------I will be your server this evening…….that wine is drinking well….the cheese plate is very well presented tonight……." and my personal favourite, when giving us the wine list, " these are the wines by the glass, these are by the bottle ( duh….I can read a wine list) " any of our bottles over $200 are discounted by 20% !!!(not sure of the percentage, as we were so gobsmacked by the statement) My husband and I travel a lot and eat out a lot. We appreciate a good bottle of wine, but I cannot remember ever ordering a $200 bottle of wine. Clearly we are not this place's target customer! Further more, anyone who can afford to drop $200 on a bottle of wine doesn't really need a discount. This is one of the most inane and ill-conceived ideas I have ever run across when dining. Off-putting in the extreme. I felt a bit sorry for the waiter as you can tell the service style is dictated by the management. Here's a tip guys, enter the modern era of dining. Diners are not dummies who need to be spoon fed information and servers should not be robots. Hire personable, smart staff, train them in proper unobtrusive service steps than let them go and trust them to use their intuition, brains and personality. It is what the modern dining public expects. Dining should be relaxing. Now on to the food. When you are dishing up paintings on plates the food really needs to look exciting and pack a big flavour punch. This wasn't the case here. Most was OK, some good but nothing was exceptional. There were also a few glaring missteps. No bread to mop up the tasty broth that the mussels came in and herbed "potato" gnocchi (gnocchi is by definition made from potato, by the by) which was covered in what I am 99.9% sure was dried herbs. Why? With all the great dining destinations on offer in Austin I am not surprised they were not doing a brisk business. They may have been around for a long time, but if they don't step it up I am not sure they will be around too much longer.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Some of the food was good, but some was just terrible. The lamb was so heavily seasoned you couldn't taste the lamb at all. The gnocchi was barely visible on the plate--a few tiny pieces. We were overcharged (they charge for bread-- in our case we ordered one order of bread that we shared, but they charged us for two; I didn't spot it until I got home). Worst-- we are handicapped and absolutely need to use the handrail on the staircase from the parking lot. It is steep and long. Some idiot wrapped Christmas lights around the handrail so that one cannot easily hold the handrail while walking up or down the stairs. Someone will have a nasty fall. I'm sure this is a safety violation. Anyway, my overall impression of this place is that they have a far better impression of themselves than I do of them, and they strut this attitude at you. It comes across in their food prep and their interior decor. They can keep their attitude... and any future business of mine that they thought they might get.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I met my friend in the Well Bar at Paggi House on a Wednesday night. This was my first time at the restaurant and I'd heard positive things about it. The decor was very sleek; it looks like a place with a scene, especially in the nice outdoor weather.

Although the happy hour drink prices were good, the bar waitstaff was unenthusiastic and underwhelming. My friend and I order entrees at our table in the bar. My friend ordered scallops and said it was outstanding. I ordered a lamb entree and it was really disappointing. The meat was overly full of fat. I didn't feel it was worth the price.

Again, throughout the meal the server didn't have much to do with us. I agree with another reviewer; skip eating in the bar.

1  Thank HumbleTexasPie