“Asian Fusion in Central Austin”
Review of Kenichi - CLOSED

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went to Kenichi with 3 other girlfriends. We thought it would be a sushi place, but really more Asian fusion food as opposed to traditional sushi. They had a lot of nigiri and sashimi, which was good, but only a few maki rolls. Service was ok - nothing special but also no complaints. We were able to make a reservation last minute on a Saturday night, so that was appreciated. Plates were small, but what you would expect from an upscale restaurant. Location was great - near lots of bars, but not the dingy 6th street. Not a bad experience, but just not somewhere I would go again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Good services. Delicious food. My only complain was about the amount of the food was very little. We didnt get full. But its a nice place to celebration. A little bit pricy too. Close to 6th street. Hard to find parking. Valet parking is $10.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Kenichi was one of my stops during my SXSW weekend. It is truly a cool spot with a great Austin vibe. I was there to belly up at the bar and catch up with a friend and it was just perfect for that. The atmosphere was really chill and friendly. Gary, our bartender was excellent and very knowledgeable behind the bar - he made my friend and I feel right at home. We really didn't go there to eat but we did have some calamari which was made to perfection – just the right amount of breading and not overdone.

I recommend it, if nothing else, for the atmosphere and great drinks.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

For a town known for it's BBQ, I was pleasantly surprised to find good sushi. My boyfriend found this spot on his last trip to Austin and recommended we go there. The service was excellent. Waiter gave us great recommendations and thoroughly explained the menu. We started with the spicy edamame which is amazing! Ask for the homemade wasabi...they won't give it to you unless you ask. They'll bring out 3 types of wasabi and I guarantee you've never had anything like it. The sushi rolls were creative. I can't remember the exact names of what we got but everything was fresh and tasty. Decor was great. All in all, I'd definitely go back next time I'm in Austin.

1  Thank Donna G
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I'm not sure if they are trying to hide "not so fresh" sushi, or what.
Everything had some sort of sauce on it. I like my sushi with no soy, no wasabi, or anything. Just plain fish. I guess I could have requested that. Service was awesome, and the food was really good. Next time I'll just ask for "no sauce". And there will be a next time!