“Habana Hits a Homerun”

Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Downtown
“Habana Hits a Homerun”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just had a great evening at Habana Cuban restaurant on South Congress. We ate in the bar and Joshua the bartender took care of us all night long. He recommended the Cuban nachos and Cuban sandwich and both were great. And of course the fresh lime mojitos are the best in Austin. Loved the atmosphere and music and kudos to Joshua for excellent drinks and service. We will definitely be back soon.

• Visited September 2013

Austin, Texas, United States
“The food was delicious!”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

What a great find. This restaurant Is downtown and we live North, but it was well worth the drive. The atmosphere was fun. The food wonderful. My husband had a sort of stew that he can't wait to go back to get and I had a ham and roast with Swiss on plantain with black beans and rice. Yum! Oh, I forgot! My mango daiquiri was wonderful (but a little expensive).

• Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas
“Like being on a vacation”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Maybe I've been to Chili's, Jason's Deli and the like once too often, but to me, eating out at this restaurant was like a mini vacation. The music, the atmosphere, the very handsome gentleman who showed us to our table, experiencing new food flavors ... we all loved it - o.k., my daughter and I were enamored with the gentleman - my hubby and son, not so much ;)
The pulled pork was delicious, so was the rice and beans and the bread. And my daughter and I agreed: best Tres Leches Cake, ever! And they have a great assortment of coffee drinks (cafe, as they call it). I had a Tres Leches Cappucino and my daughter a chocolate Capuccino. So good!
We'll be back to try more of the food and have a good time.
This is an older restaurant, which makes it all the more charming (kind of shabby chic). Also it's located right next to "The Great Outdoors", which is probably the most fabulous nursery I've ever been to. Incredible variety, peaceful, shady and just beautiful. Another reason to come back to Habana.

• Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“Interesting menu but poor service and trashy looking areas”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We had been to Habana many years ago and were not really impressed but we decided to give it another chance on Friday. Habana is located adjacent to the Great Outdoors Nursery which is a rather quaint, beautiful, peaceful place itself. We parked in the front of the parking lot and my wife wanted to walk around the nursery so I went ahead and seated myself at one of the outside cabanas directly in front of the restaurant. Several folks were leaving the inside area and I waited for a server. No luck. Ten minutes later, still no server showed up. I got up and headed to the main entrance and a friendly young lady came out of the "employees only" door and asked if I wanted to order. Hmmm, duh, yeah.

I asked about their mojitos and she tried to explain something about a new rum they were using and "would I like to try that?" I inquired about the price difference between the regular mojito and this new rum. "Oh, I think it's about 5 cents." she replied. Sure, I will try that. So I went in, checked out the inside. It was empty of customers and I saw not a single soul. No tender at the bar, no wait staff, no one. I went back out and seated myself in the same spot and waited. And waited, and waited. Finally, the server returned with my drink and asked if I would like to see a menu.

I told her yes and that my wife would want a mojito when she came back from Great Outdoors. She acknowledged that and left. She did return with a menu within a few minutes. When my wife returned, she looked at the inside as well and asked about the drinks. Little did I know that happy hour was just 10 minutes away and that I had ordered my drink too soon. Shortly thereafter the server came back and asked to cash out because she was leaving and did not want to turn over the tab to the oncoming server. I paid her ($8.50 for a unremarkable mojito is simply too much) and reluctantly gave her a tip. Supposedly, the other drink would arrive promptly at 4 PM, when happy hour kicked in. It did not arrive. Again we waited and agreed if it did not come within another 5 minutes we would leave.

We also noticed how trashy the cabana area was. Building material on the ground, some litter strewn about and just generally unsightly. We moved down to the outside patio area which at least was clean but somewhat run down as well. The new server came out and we ordered two more mojitos at the reduced price of $5.50. Then as I was looking at the bar menu, I noticed that the standard mojito at happy hour was $4. So, not only did I get misinformation on the price difference, I got no mention of an approaching happy hour. Whatever "Pirate Rum" is, it isn't worth $5.50.

As I mentioned, the food looked interesting (except for all the plantain related items) but we had already had lunch and just wanted to relax with some cocktails. We picked the wrong place. We agreed that we will not return to Habana. Way too many good service places with good food and decent prices to come back here.

• Visited May 2013
“Austin cuba great”
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Cuban food. Very good simple food spiced well outside seating. Empanada and pulled pork were good vegitables were excellent.

• Visited May 2013