“Decent but not raving about it”
Review of Chuy's

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Northwest Austin
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Good margaritas
Good service especially in a busy atmosphere.
Flautas were the best item from my combo platter which was pretty good but not exceptional.

There are newer reviews for Chuy's

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have lived in Austin ~25 years and Chuy's has consistently been one of my favorites throughout the years. I do love Tex-mex/southwestern food and Chuy's is an Austin tradition. I probably have averaged in recent years of going to Chuy's almost weekly.

Here is what I think is most important:
- Don't miss the(Hatch) Green Chili Festival. If you like your food spicey, the you won't want to miss. They also have some Green Chili entres year round.
- Mexican Martini's are really good and recommend over there margaritas.
- Get Creamy Jalepeno dip for your chips. Mmmm... good!
- I have tried just about everything on there menu, but am partial to the Chicka Chick boom boom enchiladas and the Southwestern enchiladas.
- As Austin has grown, so too have the crowds for Chuy's. It is best to get there before 11:30am for lunch and 5:30pm for dinner. Otherwise, be prepared to wait. And the bars aren't big enough to hold everyone that is waiting.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Our waiter was great and the food was excellent. Went after picking our daughter up at the airport and will definitely go again.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Chuy's is our go-to TexMex restaurant. Around mealtime on weekends it is mobbed; helps to pick an off-the-trail location (they have several here). Service is friendly. Great food, free chips & salsa, good margaritas. What more could you want?!

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

This is the second Chuy's I've visited (one in San Antonio) and I have to admit that I don't understand why people mob the front door and check all their Texan courtesy when they come in.
I admit the setting is cool (Elvis, Elvis, Elvis) and the service great, but coupled with the average food, it has more of a theme park feel than the Austin experience it is touted as.
I came here tonight with my mom and son. We ordered the queso compuesto, which was delicious. But then the main dishes came and it all went south.
I had the Steak Burrito, which seemed to be a cleverly wrapped maze with minimal meat and maximum flour tortilla. It was scarce on cheese and sauce that I sometimes found myself faced with vast stretches of plain white flour. The charro beans and green chile rice became the centerpieces of the meal.
My mom had the green chile enchiladas on the daily special, and she said hers were average (although being a hardcore Mexican cook, she can be critical). She also commented that her refried beans tasted canned, and after trying them, I had to agree.
My son liked his burrito, but also left behind huge patches of colorless tortilla along with comments that there wasn't much meat in it.
Cost saving at Chuy's? Perhaps.
The highlight of our meal was the lovely Devin, our server. She was always right on time with refills of iced tea, and was more than polite to my mom, which I appreciated. She was every bit the gracious young lady, and if I lived in Austin I would try to bring her home to momma.
All in all, I don't know why people give in to stampeding others at the door as if they were giving the food away. It has to be the service, or the queso, because the food itself fell short of the mark.
I

Been to Chuy's? Share your experiences!