“Average at best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #164 of 3,663 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Northwest Austin
Tampa, Florida
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Used to go to the Chuy's on Knox Henderson in Dalals when I lived there. It was okay. This one (on North Lamar) is about the same. In Texas you really have to be good to stand out from the crowd when you serve Tex Mex food. No one in our party of four was impressed. Patio is pretty noisy, like most. There are lots of other places in Austin who serve great Tex Mex. I would try one of them.

• Visited May 2014

San Antonio, TX
“Salsas and salads are pretty awesome.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I've come here on business several times and haven't ventured out on too many of the dishes (I tend to be on a diet when I travel on business). I usually stick to the healthy salads (no dressing on mine) and cheat a bit with the chips -- the salsas are pretty good so I need to cut myself off on the chips after about 10 or so, otherwise I could keep eating just chips and salsa.

The place is always packed and they have fresh tortillas (workers making them in the back). I would recommend the place.

Visited March 2014
Shanghai, China
“Very Good Mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our several families ate at the original Chuy's on Barton Springs...highly recommended by my brother-in-law...very good Mexican cuisine...great place to dine...seems to be a favorite with the locals (we are out of towners). The family loved the cream jalapeno dip so much we bought a quart to go and took it back to my sister's place...ate it with just about everything.

• Visited April 2014
Texas
“Place has gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We used to go here often although we haven't been here in about a year. I always get the same thing,so I noticed it wasn't as before. The portions were smaller, the charro beans were cold and the rice was clumpy. The place was so loud we could not talk to each other. We used to bring our out of town guests here and have a nice dinner and conversation. Even the guest we had with us complained that they never want to go there again. And there was a 30 minute wait on a Tuesday night at 7:30pm.

• Visited April 2014
UK
“Great Tex-Mex with a twist”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Great food if you like tex-mex style. Good, friendly service. Such a cool place with a great atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Chuy's? Share your experiences!