“Less pub, more a restaurant...”
Review of Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A
Ranked #2,519 of 3,871 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Reviewed 18 January 2012

First off our server was a girl named Kaylee, if the management reads this make sure you keep her; it's rare to get servers this good.

-----

After spending the day at Hamilton pool, I figured being in the area we'd try it out. As you enter the bar is divided off to the left and the restaurant to the right, which was disappointing as I was expecting genuine pub experience as advertised: for most that's a large room with a bar, and food at the table or bar. The food and drinking is very much split though.

We were seated by the hostess (if you have a jealous wife or other beware, the uniform is short skirts and lots of cleavage) and joined quickly by our waitress Kaylee. I asked for Blue Moon and was advised that they didn't serve it, but offered a comparable beer which I can't recall the name of, but as promised was comparable to blue moon.

Reading the menu, you quickly realise it's more or less standard American fare with dressed up names, like Hackney Hot Wings and Portsmouth Po'Boy (ask a resident of Portsmouth what a Po'Boy is and I almost guarantee a blank stare), which was again disappointing and inauthentic.

I ordered the Fish and Chips to see if the could at least knock that out in a traditional English way. Alas they couldn't. The chips weren't the big thick cut variety that you'll get in any chippy in England, and instead small potato coins. That said I couldn't fault the taste; the fish had crisp light batter and the fish inside was up to par, the potato coins not so much, but certainly nothing I wasn't happy to finish.
Our server Kaylee popped along to make sure all was well during the meal, and offered the name of a different beer of a similar taste that I might like to try. I ordered a glass which was brought back in a blink of an eye and the girl wasn't wrong; she knows her beer. The one thing I couldn't fault was volume. At the end of the Fish and chips with the generous helping of (actually quite good) beer battered mushrooms, I was far too full to order desert, and I'm very partial to desert.

Kaylee made sure we well taken care of, and despite the lack of authenticity they seem to push as a selling point, the food was good, as well as reasonably priced at just over $50 for two with two beers, two cokes and two mains. Can't say I'm in a rush to return, but I'd consider it if I was in the area.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

I do miss the pub foods of the UK. I got my fish n chip fix today. The scotish eggs were done perfectly. The menu choices are good and like the interiour surrounds. It brings back memories of merry olde England.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I have only had the fish and chips with a side of creamed spinach...it was very good...if the rest of the food is as good as the fsh and chips then its all good.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We go to the Lion and Rose about once a month, and the Soho Onion Petals are literally the best appetizer in all of Austin. We usually end up ordering two of them! They are so delicious, and the sauce they serve it with is great, too. The entrees are OK, my favorite is the Docklands Shrimp and Chips. And to cap it all off, the absolute, hands-down best Apple Pie I have ever had. It is so hard to explain, but it is just amazing. You have to get it with ice cream, because it is fantastic. The food is very heavy, but it is worth it! Reasonable prices.

Been to Chick-fil-A? Share your experiences!