“Great brisket” 4 of 5 bubbles

Vic's Barbecue
Ranked #1,397 of 3,668 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Southwestern
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: South Austin
Northport, Alabama
“Great brisket”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

Good local place for barbecue. Brisket is consistently good. The smoked chicken is cooked well but not dry. I go there whenever I'm in Austin.

Visited January 2013

Geneva, New York
“Plenty of Good BBQ at fair price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I had the brisket and rib combo with slaw and potato salad. All was excellent. Only thing I would have liked better would have been a choice of whole wheat bread instead of white bread that was included with the combo. I had unsweet tea to drink and it was fresh and tasted great.

The staff was friendly and helpful, thank you Vic's for a memorable trip to Austin.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Phoenix, Arizona
“Delicious Brisket,Hole in the Wall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

It's a bit shabby inside, with ceiling panels missing, dirty floors, and not the friendliest staff, but the brisket ,melted in my mouth! Worth a shot if you're on your way to the airport.

Visited May 2012
Boise
“Great BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Nothing fancy about the decor but it was some Great BBQ!!

• Visited May 2012
seguin, tx
“Vic's BBQ is over-rated.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

I have been to Vic's twice. I recently moved to the area. My friend lives on the street behind Vic's. (Yes, I know...scary!!). Anyways, he always told me never to try Vic's. He said they are too expensive and not very good.

Being a BBQ fiend that I am, I had to try it. Even after being warned. I stopped in on a weekday, on an off hour. It wasnt lunch time but it wasnt dinner time either. The place was empty and I ended up ordering two sliced brisket sandwiches, which I ate in my truck behind the restaurant. The sandwich looked decent, until I got in my truck to eat it. I was shocked at the horrible cuts of brisket and the amount of fat put in my sandwich.

So I end up eating it anyways, I was in a rush. I had bought the 2nd sandwhich for my friend, who was unable to eat it, so I ate it right then. The 2nd sandwich was full of fat too!! There was as much fat as there was lean meat. Its 50 percent fat sandwich, and 50 percent lean sandwich. No thank you.

So I always told myself I would not waste my money again....so I thought.

I recently started working across the street from Vic's. The rednecks at my job recommended Vic's and took me along on their lunch today. I've never eaten lunch with these guys and I kinda stalled at going to Vic's. But I said, why not, these guys seem to think its good...that was my first mistake.

We get to Vic's. Wait in line for what seems forever. I order my food from the butcher who can hardly speak English (that's okay, Im from the Mexican border and am hip to this). So I ask him for a sliced brisket sandwich and 3 pork ribs. I also got some beans on my plate, some onions and pickles and some sauce. Then I grabbed a tea.

The total came out to just under $13. For lunch. The guy at the register kinda laughed and said it would be much cheaper had I ordered a lunch plate. My response was "why didnt your guy cutting my meat point that out to me?". I was like, why should I pay for this, if you know its wrong??? I felt like he cheated me right there.

So I shrug it off and pay the full price. I sit down and low and behold, there is more fat and gristle on my sandwich than edible brisket. The fat outweighs the meat. This is not good.

I ended up throwing my food away, right in front of the cashier, so he could see me do it. I will never again step foot in that dirty little BBQ place. If you look around at the decorations (like I did, as I sat there with my food in the trash can), I noticed that they had not won a BBQ award since 1988. They opened their store in 1987. This does not surprise me. They have not been awarded anything in twenty years. I think that speaks volumes on their BBQ.

I was pretty upset about the $13 fat sandwich I bought. For $14 in Lockhart, I can get two pounds of lean cut brisket with no a piece of fat on it. I would have been better off spending $5-$7 in gasoline to drive to Lockhart to purchase one pound of brisket for $7. I would have had a much better piece of brisket and a much nicer cashier.

Vic's, I am sorry but you gotta go!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles