“Overrated!”

Ranked #591 of 3,700 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, Texas
“Overrated!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have family that visits from out of town and think this is the go to Tex-Mex in Austin. I just don't get it. Each time I go there with them ( the only time I go to Trudy's) it is worse. We had a table of 6 and had one basket of chips and a small vessel (2" X 2" X 1") for salsa so had to repeatedly ask for refills of chips and salsa. Cheese/chicken quesadilla had uneven areas of ingredients. Some had cheese, no chicken and vice-versa. Fish tacos had four small, bite size pieces of frozen, breaded, over cooked fish on each taco with tons of cabbage. Disappointing. Don't understand appeal or popularity of this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014

Porter, Texas
“Quality, Authentic Mexican”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We went to Trudy's with our kids during our most recent trip to Austin. We had never been before and we were happy with our selection of this establishment. I have had better Mexican food before (afterall, Texas is filled with Mexican restaurants) but this ranks up there. If you like Mexican, you will not be disappointed. We went during happy hour, so the drinks were half priced, which was also a plus.

The other HUGE positive was the kids menu. It has a mix of Mexican and American food, which is great because sometimes places that serve authentic Mexican will not have options for pickier kids. My son got the cheese enchilada but my daughter got a cheeseburger. I tried both and they were good, and ONLY $4!!!

The wait staff was good and pleasant, which is something that you can and should expect in Austin. We only went one time on this trip, but we would not hesitate to go again on another trip.

• Visited June 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Awesome Find - You will not be disappointed”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Went with a friend, after recommended to us. Ordered The Mexican Martini - delicious drink! We ordered the stuffed avocado with suzia sauce. Unbelievably delicious patty of avocado, chicken and cheese with creme sauce. A must try if you are in the area!

Visited June 2014
“Big Let Down”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've always loved going to Trudy's when we would visit from NY ever year. Always felt like they had the BEST Mexican martini!! I did miss it last trip, so it's been 2 yes since going to Trudy's. We just made the move here to Austin 2 weeks ago, couldn't wait to get to Trudy's for a celebratory Mexi-tini!!
I must say the atmosphere is nice, and the waiters r very nice! But my waiter kept getting my order wrong but hey, no biggie. I ordered a top shelf Mexican Martini and fajitas. The Martini wasn't nearly as good as it used to b. It was not good. It didn't have a good flavor nor was it smooth like it always used to b. Plus the olives tasted hard and old. I was VERY DEPRESSED!! The fajitas were over cooked and dry and the portion of meat and veggies on the sizzling platter was too small, for what u pay!! Overall, real BIG LETDOWN!! Not was it used to b, not going back!!
The next day, I got an amazing Mexican martini at Torchys for less money! But I am sad!!

• Visited June 2014
Dallas, Texas
“this location not as great as the other ones but still good”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This location I felt the food was not as good as the Central or South Star locations. The enchiladas were a ilttle more dry and not as flavorful and the black refried beans not as tasty as other locations. the mexican martini was really good and the kids meals were really good. the appetizers were aweome and staff was great. overall we love trudys but this location not as good as the other two I have tried.

Visited May 2014

Been to Trudy's North Star Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!