“Didn't have what i ordered, but they had it for the very next patron”
Review of Hill's Cafe

Hill's Cafe
Ranked #1,656 of 3,755 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours
Description: A local South Austin hot spot since 1947, Hills Cafe has been serving up the best southern comfort food, steaks and BBQ anyone could ask for. An old Austin original with live music, catering, outdoor dining and large oak trees, Hill's Cafe is a destination for great food and fun! Did we mention a full bar and awesome drink prices?
Stow Bedon, null, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Didn't have what i ordered, but they had it for the very next patron”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have been frequenting Hill's since I arrived in Austin in 2001. I've usually been pleased with the food and the service. Tonight, however, was an exception. It wasn't the food as much as the service that disappointed me. I ordered the prime rib and was told that they had run out of all the steaks on the menu. I was tempted to leave the restaurant, but I decided to stay and order enchiladas. A few minutes after my order was placed, another couple ordered the prime rib. By that time the enchiladas were served. When I questioned my server she said that the other server probably didn't know there were no steaks. She consulted with that server and came back to me to say that steaks were just delivered from a "sister restaurant." I didn't find any "sister restaurants" when I googled, though. The manager comped my meal, but I can't say that I am eager to return to a restaurant that didn't have food for me but had the same food for another patron who arrived after I did.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank 776Candace

Austin, Texas
“Unique as Austin”
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is fantastic! You can sit in a booth that some celebrities have been to or choose a politician's hangout.
The food is great here. I have tried a lot of the choices. There wasn't one that I wouldn't recommend.
Beverages just ask and they probably wil find away to get it.
Waitstaff and cooks are fantastic. They are friendly and enjoy their jobs.
I have been going here for a few years and it is one thst I highly recommend.

south carolina
“Great Food - Unique Atmosphere”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Had dinner here with my wife and son in late August. Got a hardy welcome when we entered the place and was seated promptly. The restaurant was not very busy, so that may have had something to do with it. The server greeted us right away and had a great personality, easy to talk to, joked around with, and very knowlegable with the menu items.

Food was very good and cooked as requested. Service was excellent. Mainly a steak house, but a variety of other items are offered as well.

The place has a lot of pictures and old time memorbilia on the walls. Very interesting to take a closer look at.

Would highly recommend to anyone looking for great steaks or country home cooking. Very casual. If you are looking for an upscale modern place, this is not it.

Enjoy!!

• Visited August 2013
Midland, Texas
“Step Back in Time”
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

From the decor, to the music, to the food, Hill's Cafe is a step back in time. The place is interesting and the food is good. It is typical of south Austin and worth a visit.

Visited August 2013
Texas
“Do not stop here!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were looking for something different on our way home from the hill country and stopped by Hill's Cafe. We waited in the front lobby 10 minutes before the hostess poked her head around the corner. She said she would be with us shortly. At this time there was a party of 10 waiting for a table ahead of us. She came back out and said that their table would be ready in 15 minutes and told us we could be seated in 15 minutes also. I thought that they were just really busy. We waited in the front lobby for 20 minutes and she pops her head around the corner and says maybe in another 10-15 minutes she could seat us. It is 1:45pm on Sunday and the place is not packed..... we started asking questions. Turns out that the hostess was just trying to keep us hanging around without telling us anything.... because they had 3 or 4 waitress' not show up for work that day. They could not serve us because they did not have the staff to do so... but, they didn't have the courtesy to inform us. I guess they felt like .. if they could get us to stand there long enough that the 1 server they had could get to us EVENTUALLY! They had us stand there for NO REASON and we never got to sit down or EAT. WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FOOD TASTES LIKE? The hostess seemed very flustered.... and apparently there wasn't a manager there either to help pick up any of the slack.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank 11softballmom

Been to Hill's Cafe? Share your experiences!