“Poor Service, Mediocre Food”
Review of Hill's Cafe

Hill's Cafe
Ranked #1,563 of 3,827 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours
Description: A local South Austin hot spot since 1947, Hills Cafe has been serving up the best southern comfort food, steaks and BBQ anyone could ask for. An old Austin original with live music, catering, outdoor dining and large oak trees, Hill's Cafe is a destination for great food and fun! Did we mention a full bar and awesome drink prices?
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We went on a Saturday afternoon around 1:30 to 2:00.. The place was fairly empty, so expected great service.. We waited some 10 minutes to even be greeted by a server. The menu features quite a few burger options, which three of my party ordered in various combinations. The bun outweighed the size of the patty, the fries, which are more like wedges were huge and cooked perfectly, but I wouldn't really consider them fries. I ordered the Caesar salad with fried chicken, not sure what kind of Caesar dressing they use, but it wasn't standard issue. The chicken on the salad was virtually tasteless, which was a huge disappointment. On the up side when the server was present, she was a happy soul, and interacted well with my two year old grandson.

All in all I wanted this place to be everything a Café should be and it just wasn't...

1  Thank camrachic

Reviewed 9 January 2014

So I see from some of the previous posts that service has been an issue in the past. My husband and I have been here twice, once in December and again in January. On our last visit we spoke to the new manager, Matt, who went into great detail about everything they are trying to do in order to bring this place back to it's old glory. You see, the restaurant was bought out early in 2013 and early on there were issues, lax service being one of them. Then there was the fire just before Thanksgiving to make things even more interesting. I can honestly say, on both of our visits, our servers were incredibly attentive and friendly and the food was excellent.

What kind of food, you say? On my our first visit I got the Diner Deluxe Burger -- grilled onions and serranos, bacon, swiss and cheddar cheese and sauteed mushrooms on a sweet kolache bun with sweet potato fries. That monster was a serious gut buster and one of the best hamburgers I've had in Austin. On our second visit, I went for the SOCO brisket tamales -- smoked brisket shredded with BBQ sauce 'made in house' with masa topped with green chile queso and spicy pinto beans, salsa and fresh avocado. The pinto beans were the only thing on both of the plates I wasn't that crazy about. My husband loved the Country Bob Burger so much he got it on both visits.

This place is huge (imagine one giant honky tonk saloon/restaurant) with a massive outdoor area and stage that could easily accommodate tons of people. In fact, I'm looking forward to being there at SXSW to hopefully hear some great live music.

The new owners are really making great strides to improve customer service, serve great food and offer plenty of live music. And so long as Matt continues to spearhead this process with the level of enthusiasm he showed when speaking to us, I imagine it will be pretty fabulous indeed.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Nice rustic decore. Country music theme. Easy to find. Food was okay. Staff was unconcerned throughout the meal and even through the payment. Since we go out for service as well as good food we would not return to this restaurant.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have been frequenting Hill's since I arrived in Austin in 2001. I've usually been pleased with the food and the service. Tonight, however, was an exception. It wasn't the food as much as the service that disappointed me. I ordered the prime rib and was told that they had run out of all the steaks on the menu. I was tempted to leave the restaurant, but I decided to stay and order enchiladas. A few minutes after my order was placed, another couple ordered the prime rib. By that time the enchiladas were served. When I questioned my server she said that the other server probably didn't know there were no steaks. She consulted with that server and came back to me to say that steaks were just delivered from a "sister restaurant." I didn't find any "sister restaurants" when I googled, though. The manager comped my meal, but I can't say that I am eager to return to a restaurant that didn't have food for me but had the same food for another patron who arrived after I did.

1  Thank 776Candace
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere is fantastic! You can sit in a booth that some celebrities have been to or choose a politician's hangout.
The food is great here. I have tried a lot of the choices. There wasn't one that I wouldn't recommend.
Beverages just ask and they probably wil find away to get it.
Waitstaff and cooks are fantastic. They are friendly and enjoy their jobs.
I have been going here for a few years and it is one thst I highly recommend.

Been to Hill's Cafe? Share your experiences!