“An Homage to Distilled Spirits”
Review of Drink Well

Drink Well
Ranked #796 of 3,741 Restaurants in Austin
Austin, Texas
“An Homage to Distilled Spirits”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I cannot wait to return to Drink.Well. If you appreciate the ART of crafting cocktails, this is the place for you. They take their drink mixing very seriously here and have one of the best selections of liquor I've seen at any bar in Austin. I challenge anyone to order a drink from this bar that they can't make. Be forewarned: this is a small establishment. Their website says that they can only accommodate 37 people at a time. (I almost hesitated to write this review because I don't want this place to get any more crowded.)

We arrived just before 5:00 for Friday's happy hour (Tues.-Fri., 4-6) and were very fortunate to find two seat together at the bar. The bar stools are vintage 1970, and one simply doesn't find comfortable, upholstered bar chairs like these anywhere anymore. I could have stayed there till closing time but probably not upright. Aaron and Becca were expertly plying their trade behind the bar and were later joined by Dennis. It is not only entertaining to watch these three make drinks but also an education. They were friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable, and I simply couldn't ask any more from them as a customer than what they were providing. Between us, we ordered four different cocktails: South Side, Brown Derby, Jasmine Cocktail, and a Manhattan. All were perfection, but I honestly wish I could've ordered one of everything I saw them mix. Surely, no establishment could possibly make a better Old Fashioned. No detail is overlooked, even down to the ice cube chosen for the glass. The coupe style glasses they use for drinks served straight-up make you feel as though you're in an episode of "Mad Men."

Even if you don't order food, you'll leave happy. But, you MUST order food. We shared an order of the House Cut Potato Chips (with two very satisfying dips--I want that white bean and garlic dip on everything I eat from here on out) and a small Antonelli's cheese plate. I highly recommend both for starters. Then, we ordered the Pork Belly Sliders (with a delectable apple curry jam) and the Spicy Kimchi Reuben. I will never put sauerkraut on my reuben sandwich again--it's strictly kimchi from here on out. Why have I never thought of this? It was tragic when this meal was over; I never wanted that sandwich to end. The garden salad that accompanied my reuben was so fresh it tasted as though they'd cut the greens from the garden out back five minutes prior to my eating it.

If an extensive wine collection is your thing, then this bar might not be for you. On this occasion, their menu offered two sparkling, three whites, and three reds. But there are hundreds of places in Austin where you can have a glass of good wine. There aren't many who embrace the cocktail to the extent that Drink.Well does. Cheers!

• Visited July 2014

“Lovingly made cocktails ”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I came here after hearing about this place from a chef friend, who had heard about it from another chef, who I guess heard from a friend of his and so on. Apparently this place has had incredible success and it's only advertisement is word of mouth. After a couple drinks I understand why. These bartenders don't mix drinks, the create cocktails. Classy cozy awesome spot located in a nice culinary neighborhood. It's definitely worth making a stop and having a beverage.

1 Thank JoshAlmighty
“One of the best cocktail bars around”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Drink Well is a place for those who would like to sample some of the best made cocktails ever. The "bar food" is very, very good and is of the tapas type, small plates. The risotto was outstanding as were the beef tartare and the chicken skewers. Drink Well is a friendly place that focuses on presenting the best, well crafted cocktails. They use the best pours and their ingredients are hand crafted with love. The manager, Dennis, is a terrific fellow and the bar tenders (ours was Ania) really know their craft. Once you have a cocktail here, it will be difficult to go back to your local establishment. Be aware that there is no table service. Drinks and food are ordered at a special spot at the end of the bar so it is always easy to get your order taken. When your drink or food is ready, it is easy to get and thus, you're not stuck three deep away from the bar trying to get someone to take your order. If you want a true "cocktail" experience and want some of the best mixed drinks anywhere (not just Austin) Drink Well is your place.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank SwimMan1
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great people”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I live near by and just moved here. This is a great spot, bartenders are very knowledgeable and drinks are worth the wait. The food is also fabulous, spicy kimchi ruebun and pickeled eggs.

1 Thank Michael W
Austin, Tx
“Great little neighborhood stop”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We had some reservations about dropping in here. We had heard they were a little pretentious and there may be a hipster, upscale snootiness about them. WRONG HATERS. What we did find was a warm welcome as we pulled up to the bar. Yes, there definitely is an upscale feel to the place with some pop-top shirt folks and pretty ladies in black dresses. However there were just as many regular folks like us hanging around. Suzie was craving a Gin and Tonic, so it seemed to be a good place to get one. The bartender recommended a Negroni's in Paris, one of their signature cocktails. I went with the standard, a beer.

The Negroni was a bright ginny boozy drink. I took a sip and remembered that first liquor I ever got sick from was Gin. That did not make for a bad drink, just not one for me. Suzie sucked it down in no time and was ready for another one. There were some very impressive looking food coming out to tables and our neighbors at the bar. Not being to hungry we just opted for the Stuffed Cheese Poufs and House Cut Potato Chips & Dips.

The Stuffed Cheese Poufs, he he he he said poufs..., ahem.. were quite tasty little bites. Since they came with three to an order a little mayhem ensued with who was going to get the third. The were light and buttery smooth stuffed goat cheese packets. We should of just gone for two orders instead of the one. We enjoyed munching on the potato chips and assorted dips that came out the same time as the poufs, which made up for having to share the last pouf.

The bar servers were both very accommodating, informative, friendly and provided great service. Good suggestions for drinks and munchies. One item of note. They have a TV which sits behind the bar and plays classic old movies without any sound. This was quite entertaining. So much so, that when we left to go home, we got on Netflix to watch the entire movie which we had started to watch at Drink Well.

All in all, we will be popping by to enjoy a full meal since they have quite a selection to choose from. The spicy kimchi rueben looks off the hook. We are glad we ignored some of the negative hype and ventured out to enjoy a very pleasant Happy Hour.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Jensoid

Been to Drink Well? Share your experiences!