“Older hotel but clean and getting renovated” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Austin Midtown

Holiday Inn Austin Midtown
Ranked #68 of 197 Hotels in Austin
san francisco
“Older hotel but clean and getting renovated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

This Holiday Inn on the outside is a really ugly old building. I stayed there about a year ago when it was the Radisson and it has improved drastically since becoming a Holiday Inn. The hotel is very clean and the staff is great. It's still in middle of a renovation so I am sure it will be much nicer in the future. The room looked partially renovated with a really nice flat screen tv and new bed. Overall it was a great value and would probably stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
emonette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, 19 December 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how you felt about our hotel and your stay!

We take the comments on Trip Advisor very seriously and respond accordingly. I am so glad that you felt we were making progress at the hotel with our renovation and you liked the new television, bed and that every thing was clean. Our Director of Housekeeping takes a great deal of pride in providing a clean hotel for our guests.

Our hotel is now in Phase 2 of our renovation with guestrooms, lobby and prefunction space. I think you are really going to like the new llok and we plan to be done by the end of March.

Come back and see us again!

Mike Barnett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights in Dec. Value is based on a Priceline win of $45 per night plus tax. As an average-Joe IT-professional I don't tend to scrutinize and get hung up on every small thing. This is a fine 3* hotel worthy of your stay.

Ups:
* Excellent staff! Rachel and Perscilla are extremely helpful.
* They faxed an important document for me, long distance, free of charge. Twice to be sure, with confirmation. Well done!
* Nice, 3* lobby and decor. Currently under some renovation.
* Bed was very comfortable with some sort of remote control that I didn't use. Massaging?
* There are 2 pillows, "soft" and "firm", labelled on each bed and they were very nice and poofy. Good night's sleep.
* Room is generally quite clean. No bed-bugs that I could see (I always check) or any other pests.
* Free WiFi hotel wide and works in parking lot
* Free parking
* For steak or BBQ closeby, try the Texas Land & Cattle restaurant. Huge portions, decent prices.

Downs:
* As mentioned this is near the Greyhound station across the street there are people milling about. They are not on or near the property though.
* Yes, thin walls. Neighbours were watching a sports game at night getting loud so I called the front desk. They got them to quiet down a bit. Notice how loud people have no concept of "inside voice"? Try to get a room without a shared door. Solution? Earplugs. Wear them when I sleep and problem solved.
* Room carpet was worn and stained. I always bring slippers so this is a moot point.
* Bathroom had a little peeling paint on the ceiling about the shower that had been repainted (poorly) in the recent past. Meh, whatever.
* Breakfast is $9. I didn't eat here, I went to IHOP for a $5 breakfast.
* Located directly beside a TravelLodge Motel and parking lots a-join. Again, whatever no big deal.

Overall:
A nice hotel that's tremendous value when you get it through Priceline. As with all hotels, rack-rates are ridiculous so I would have been more upset if I paid $100+.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
emonette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, 6 December 2010
Thank You for letting us know what was good and what can be improved upon. Apologize for the noise yet glad to find the staff was able to handle it for you. Also our Chief Engineer will be reading your review as will other staff memebers including our Director of Housekeeping.

We look forward to having you back and from your comments sounds like we can count on that. (May I suggest other value priced options from our Best for Breakfast menu.) I think you'll find the renovation process we are about to enter into will make it even a better experience for you.

Thank You Again for letting us know about your stay as it makes us better.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

The outward appearance of this hotel is dated by its architecture, yet the building facade appears to be newly stuccoed and painted. Perhaps tinting all the windows and painting the exterior a warmer color would help. The grounds are in superior condition, and the lobby, fitness, and business areas are newly remodeled and absolutely gorgeous. Our room was large and easily accommodated all the stuff required when traveling with a 3-year-old. The decor in the room was modern and pleasant, although the fabric chair had a rip on the arm, and the ottoman and desk chair had stuff dried on them that could have been easily cleaned by housekeeping with a wet cloth. The walls had a few scuff marks on them and the television was an "old" square style 27-inch. The bathroom was very nice with granite counter-tops and plenty of space and light. The bed was a Sleep Number bed, but I did not find it more comfortable than a regular bed. Overall this was a very pleasant stay and well worth what I paid for it on Priceline. I could tell that the general manager is really trying to make this a great hotel. I would stay here again if I had the same deal.

ABOUT THE LOCATION: This hotel is located near I35 and 290, making it easy to get anywhere in town quickly. There is a mall adjacent to the hotel parking lot, but the stores are lacking. It was hard to find a grocery or drug store nearby, but if you go northwest toward Braker Ln, or south toward UT, you will find something.

TIPS: This hotel has free wireless in the rooms, and there is a manager's reception Monday through Friday in the hotel restaurant from 5-7. The general manager was down there talking with guests and I was served two glasses of white wine on the house. Kids also eat free in the hotel restaurant with a paying adult. I'm not going to lie, both of those things go a long way with me.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank You so much for taking the time to post a comment about our hotel! We review these very closely and share them with our staff.

You were so gracious to point out the many good qualities of our hotel. On the areas for improvement we are on it!

Again appreciate the pictures and comments about our staff and the many offerings to bring value to the guest experience. We look forward to your return.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

Really pleased with our stay here....booked through Priceline. Location is excellent to downtown Austin, easy in and out,friendly,professional staff,clean comfortable room and beds. Have a Managers's Reception with free beer,wine, and hor dourves M-F 5-7.
Will stay there again!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
emonette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, 24 November 2010
Thank you so much for the nice response. We love it when our customers are satisfied!

Yes our location is great and close to all the popular spots in Austin such as the Entertainment District, UT campus and football stadium plus Austin's newest upscale shopping center, The Domain.

We look forward to your return.

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Stayed here after spending 3 days at Austin Hilton, and the room was almost identical. Perfectly adequate, and much cheaper than staying in downtown, which is only 4 miles south. Hotel is also on a bus line which goes directly downtown, and then to airport - fare is $1, or $2 for an all day pass. Hotel is next to a dead mall, but its recent renovations make it a good value. Sleep number beds, but no fridge in room.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
emonette, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
Thank you so much for the great response! We work hard to make sure our customers are 100% satisfied. To compare us to one of the leading hotels in the city makes us feel great!

Yes we are located close to everything and from our hotel it is easy to get anywhere in the city. The Highland mall is inder new managment and we are working with them to make sure our customers have a great shopping experience.

Please call us the next time you are in Austin!

Kind Regards,
Colorado Springs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

I think I may have made another big mistake while making a Priceline . com hotel request? I could not get a room where I wanted the first time through so I expanded my search area to include the north area of downtown Austin, I was carefull not to go below 3 stars, the last time I went below 3 stars I ended up on East Colfax Ave in Denver ! If you have ever been to Denver then I need say no more. I called the front desk at the Midtown Holiday Inn to request a king bed and to see if I could get a downtown facing view, after a few moments the desk clerk, after checking the computer and seeing I was a Priceline booking advised me that he would not be putting me in a king bed unless one was still available at check-in, the city view was not addressed. As a former hotel Manager I must wonder why even do bookings on Priceline if your going to treat them { the costomers} like second class dirt bags. I will be staying here in November and will write another review after my stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response as we want to hear all feed back.

Might I suggest going to the Holiday Inn web site to make your next reservation? Most often they can match the rates of third party sites and you then can make a room request or make a cancellation without the extra work that comes with using that format. In addition you can sign up for the best rewards program in the business by speaking with the 1 880 number or it can be done quickly at the hotel. Trust me it is a great program and it sounds like with your travel your points could add up.

Sorry we could not meet your request but our room types with a view of the city are limited and usually go for a premium rate. So call us the next time your plans are for Austin so we can make that reservation and see what we can do for you to make your stay great.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

As a travel agent, I like to get for what I pay. We paid a fantastic rate for a hotel that offers simple elegance and cleanliness. Room and b/room were very clean. Nice towels, not scruffy or too soft. I hate scratchy towels or those that are so soft they don't absorb anything..The hotel is almost completely renovated, even most of the landscaping is new. Some areas need completion. I liked the pool area, and the shady trees, where you can lounge, read, meet with friends, etc. The hotel offers a gym and a laundry room, free internet, free parking and much more. It's located in a quiet area, 35E and 1222, but close to everything. Walking distance to the Greyhound Bus station. Just 5 minutes from downtown and UT Austin. A short drive to many stores and many restaurants. We had a Continental breakfast in their rest., but they offer a great buffet breakfast for a very good price as well. I would definitely stay here again.
The only thing I was a little concerned with was the rear entrance. This entrance is open to anyone, which concerns me a little, since it's dark at night. I would suggest the management to make it safer, please. Lights and a key scanner for entry?? Thanks..

Dear Fran,
Thanks for all the kudos about the hotel. We strive hard to exceed our customers expectations so when our guests give us a thumbs up we just LOVE IT!

Glad you liked our houskeeping and appointments for the room. Our Director of Housekeeping has a dedicated staff and she is one of the best I have worked with. I am sure her people will be happy to see your comments. Please note we have a professional security staff and can provide a car to door escort.

When you come back please call me and we will do something special to make your next stay even better!