“New and wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Waxahachie, Texas
“New and wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Newer hotel. Staff was awesome!!! Rooms are clean and very nice - and very comfy beds! Marriott's are always one of my favorite and this one certainly does not disappoint. Add free breakfast and social hour weekdays, and this was a great stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Quantico, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel is very new and so I was hesitant to book my stay here without any previous reviews to go by but I'm glad I risked it! The staff at the hotel are very friendly, and I don't think I ever encountered any staff who wouldn't stop and talk given the opportunity, and not the typical forced chatting either. Even the staff cleaning the rooms seemed genuinely friendly and happy.

I'm a fat kid at heart so breakfast is always a major concern for me. The breakfast items varied slightly aside from the normal hotel breakfast staples you always expect. The addition of chocolate chips and blueberries to my oatmeal was quite nice. They also had some tasty muffins and a delicious granola, yogurt, and fruit cup. Beyond that, the kitchen staff would always ask if they could get anything else for you and they were happy to fulfill some customized requests. The evening socials always had salad, another small food item, and a dessert. Soft drinks, juice, beer, and wine were also available. It wasn't a full meal but it was a great evening snack or relaxing endpoint to the day. Again, the staff are very friendly and more than happy to do anything for you. I rather enjoyed it.

The rooms are very nice and quite restful. I couldn't find much of anything to complain about there. The only odd thing is the bathroom doesn't have a tub. The shower has a floor length glass door and has the footprint of a large tub, but no tub. The kitchenette was well stocked with basic cutlery and dishes. The dishwasher worked quite well and they even provided some capsules for that. Microwave, coffee maker, fridge/freezer... all good. Induction stove top...

My only complaints against the property are the residual effects of the newness of it all. I had a mechanical issue in my room and to their credit, maintenance responded before I finished my coke. They offered to move me to another larger room but the issue wasn't enough to bother me. There's still some construction going on here and there, and some minor final touches that all new buildings endure. Oh, last complaint - it's not very easy to know you're at the right hotel. I missed the sign altogether and drove around the building before I finally saw the street address and assumed I was in the right place. Hopefully the signage improves in the near future.

Final notes - there is a pool but I didn't partake given the ice storm. The fitness room looks nice, although the fat kid in me walked straight past it to the evening social. There is a coin operated laundry on the first floor... A bit of shopping within walking distance... That's all I can think of for now.

Overall, definitely recommended. I'll be staying there again soon!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jfudgeelder
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I am a gold elite member, and was very impressed with the staff and service I received during my stay. I checked in around 2 am and was greeted by a kind young man. I mentioned that I may have a spider bite on my finger. I was expecting a band aid and goodnight, but he went and got not only a band aid but antibiotic ointment, insect bite relief pad and some aspirin for the pain. Very good first impression of the new property, staff that cares, and nice and clean. Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ResidenceInnAUSRT, General Manager at Residence Inn Austin-University Area, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Atlantatoalabama, I am pleased to hear the staff was caring and gave a great first impression. Thank you for being a loyal Gold Elite Marriott Rewards Member. I look forward to your next stay with us!

Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Beautiful new hotel! The furnishings/design of this hotel are nicer than even some of the full-service Marriotts that I have been to. Hotel staff are super friendly. Convenient location to downtown Austin.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian S
Dear BrianS, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the custom furnishings and design at the Residence Inn Austin University Area. I agree our staff is “super friendly”, I will be sure to share your comments with the team. I look forward to your return trip!

Kensington, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family in the area and had a great experience. This is an absolutely spotless new property, and the staff obviously takes a lot of pride in keeping it that way. We had a two-bedroom suite, which was great for our family of 5. Full breakfast (eggs, pancakes, the works) was included in our rate. The hotel is adjacent to a retail park with lots of shopping and dining options, and close to Dell Children's Hospital. There is also a children's museum and playground nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Meg P
Dear MegP, Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear you found the property spotless and recognized that the staff takes a lot of pride in keeping it that way. I will be sure to share your kind words with the team. I look forward to your next trip to the Residence Inn Austin University Area!