“Very Nice B & B”
Review of Star of Texas Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Star of Texas Inn
Ranked #11 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is a comfortable B&B located close to the University. We stayed in room 14 and found it quite comfortable. Their were 2 other guests the night we stayed and we didn't even know they were there until the next morning. Nice and quiet. Room is comfortable. The bathroom is pretty tiny with the sink in the main room. Not too uncommon for a B&B. The towels were nice and thick.

Only a couple of issues kept it from being 5 stars. The vent in the bathroom was full of dust balls and dirt. The tub/shower is pretty tiny with shower curtains surrounding the tub. Standing in the shower, my arms and shoulders touched both sides with the curtains sticking to me and I'm not a huge person. Curtains are also dark which made the shower space dark. It would be nice to see the newer rounded shower rods used which would make the shower/tub space less claustrophobic and easier to take a shower.

Breakfast was delicious with a baked apple oatmeal and a quiche. The quiche was wonderful. There was also fresh fruit, bacon, cereals, orange juice and more. The young man from the kitchen was very nice and helpful to the needs of the guests.

I would recommend this B&B to friends with a warning about the small shower space.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kentbigdog

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Great place, great owners. A wonderful mix of thoughtfulness and quality. We LOVED the sheets. There is a wonderful balcony off room 12 (and other rooms as well). Oh, and the cookies were perfect.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William F
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed here recently for 3 nights and it was great. The owners are not around much i dont see that as a problem, you can phone them if you want.

The house itself is great and more of a museum than anything, very nice decor inside. There is a verande downstairs and a balcony upstairs with rocking chairs. I found this a perfect place to sit and relax.

There are compimentary cookies, soft drinks and white wine in the reception and also earplugs and umbrellas to borrow. This is very thoughtful on the owners part. There is free wi-fi and also a computer guests are welcome to use. The breakfast was ok and slightly better than most places i have stayed in the USA.

I had room 11 and it was ok for one person but would have been slightly cramped for 2 people. That is the only negative i found during my stay. My room was still very nice and the bed large and comfy though. The room and hotel in general were very clean and comfortable.

The hotel is fairly near to The Bob Bullock museum and Blanton art gallery, it is a fair old walk to 6th street but you cant be near toeverywhere and there are buses and taxis that will have you there in no time.

If i return to Austin i would not consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rich2112
Reviewed 3 May 2012

To stay in the older and historic house has its own unique atmosphere and I enjoyed everything. The accommodation was great, the location near university campus, but close to downtown and breakfast was delicious - every day fresh baked cake, different sort of fruits, bacon etc.

I would definitely recommend staying there and if I will return to Austin, it´s a place where I am going to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sunflower195
Reviewed 7 April 2012

It's an older place but well maintained, with only two complaints. First though, great location, right in the thick of things. Right beside the UT Austin campus, walking distance to the tower and other sights. Close to everything. Good parking, beside the place. Breakfasts were really nice. The staff was very friendly. The rooms were nice and clean. There's a plate of fresh cookies right inside the door. Very nice touch. There's also a fridge loaded with soft drinks. Very appreciated. Complaints: we had to leave early, and they weren't accommodating in regards to breakfast. They left a couple of baglels out for us, and we toasted them, but not even any cream cheese. There was cereal and milk if we had wanted it, so we can't complain too much. Not a big deal, I don't guess. Also the shower in our room was pretty horrible, I'd try to get a different room next time, and would ask about the shower before booking. It was an old fashioned tub, with a circular bar over it, so that the curtain was all around the tub. That meant that you climb in and close the curtain around you, and the curtain hangs against you on both sides. That makes it hard to shower. Based on everything else, and the very reasonable rate, I might even stay in THAT room again, but I'd really try to get a different type of shower.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Rick G
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We loved it! Jenifer and Christina were awesome and always had an answer for any questions that we had for them. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to stay close to UT campus. Our room was spacious, beautiful decorated and very clean. I will definitely be staying here again on our next trip to Austin. The breakfast was delicious. It is like being at a home away from home.

Room Tip: Room 12 is awesome with door to wrap around balcony in room!