“Great place and location”
Review of Star of Texas Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Star of Texas Inn
Ranked #10 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great place and location”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

On first sight seems rather old and shabby but the rooms are really comfortable and bathrooms more than adequate (was in room 14 which has a bath and shower over). At first it also seems odd that you never see the owners etc except for someone briefly refilling the breakfast spread. TV very basic. But the wifi was super fast - downloaded my osx upgrade. Who needs a tv anyway on such visits? Breakfast is also excellent and drinks always available - and those cookies - had friends asking me to grab some for them. The main advantage is the location especially if it's the university you want (was giving a lecture). Hope to stay here again when I'm next around.

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank mullasadra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed for a week at the Start of Texas Inn while working in Austin, and loved it. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and cosy. A breakfast of bacon and eggs, fresh fruit, toast and cereal was perfect. Free lemonade, soft drinks or juice every day.

Our hostess even offered me the use of a washing machine for my laundry. When I returned, my washing was folded and returned to my room!

Room Tip: Room 25 was very nice and has two beds, a king and a single, perfect for a small family.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Theresgj
Georgia, USA
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was a great place to stay for meetings I had at UT. The proprietors are very friendly and accommodating - they let me print my boarding pass, for example. The information about Austin they have in the rooms is very helpful, and it's easy to get to restaurants, etc by walking. Despite warnings it would be noisy outside, I had a very restful night. They do provide white noise machines, however. The breakfast was very tasty, and they have cookies in the afternoons and wine in the evening. The only issue was a rather large cobweb in my room.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor because I did not want to hear people walking above me. It is a spacious...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sarita08
North, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Star of Texas B&B was exactly what my husband and I were looking for in Austin. We were in Austin for an opening exhibit at the Harry Ransom Center on the campus of University of Texas and for the UT football game so we wanted to be close enough to walk to both events and not bother with parking. Star of Texas was the perfect choice. Plus we had a lovely room with a wide veranda where we could enjoy coffee in the morning and a drink in the afternoon. The inn offers a delicious breakfast, hot casseroles, orange juice, bacon, and all other wonderful choices. After I bragged on an egg casserole, the cook even shared a recipe with me. Dylan who also worked there was so helpful and friendly that we felt were visiting someone's home rather than a place of business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Traveler6102013
Metairie
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The location of the house is really great. We had no desire to drive a car while we were in town. We had an easy trip in from the interstate and were able to park and walk to take the bus everywhere we wanted to go. The bus downtown was about three blocks away and so easy to use. The house is really cute, and while it may be a little run down - you just don't really notice. We were greeted at the front door by a really friendly staff member. We were early, and she stopped what she was doing to pour us a drink and get us a snack so that she could finish preparing our room. The room was small, but I expect that at a bed and breakfast. There was a lot of noise out on the street at night over the weekend. But, honestly, the house is practically on campus, so if you don't expect that your expectations aren't realistic. They do give you ear plugs, we used them, and no problems. The bed was really comfy, but the pillows are horrible - bring your own. The room was small, but the space was used incredibly well, fitting in a bed, desk, chair, and wardrobe. The bathroom was small, but again well used space. The house was really comfy and not pretentious like a bed and breakfast can tend to be. Breakfast was prepared early both mornings, and was quite good. The variety of items to choose from was quite extensive. There were warm and cold options, and coffee was available at least an hour before breakfast everyday. There is a fridge and microwave available for guests to use. We would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to other guests. Just keep your expectations realistic, you are near campus, there will be a lot of students around.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 11 which is right next to the dining room. Not really an issue with noise, but an...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Noel K
Mission, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Overall the house is quite run down. Ceiling leaks were visible. I was afraid the ceiling frame might end up falling. As to security, anyone can walk in from the street and make the inn their own home. There was no proper check in time. Keys were left in the door. Anyone could have duplicated the house keys. Housekeeping was much to be desire. I had to take a bath twice due to smelly towels place on the towel rack as clean. They smelled horribly stale. The staff was only visible during breakfast time. Any if any question about the Inn was answer by other guest. As to breakfast, it was the only thing I really did enjoy. Scrumptious frittatas and quiche every morning with waffles and fruit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hilda B
Dallas
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This is a once lovely 19th century home. The millwork and balconies are very nice. Overall, the house is a bit run down. The good points: the bed was very comfortable and we slept well. Last night, this place was very quiet. The not so good points: the shower is within a claw foot tub and is not user friendly. Breakfast is not served until 8:30am and since we had to leave before that time, we did not have breakfast.

The house did not have a welcoming vibe. We saw one employee and she was a bit breathless, and while nice, not into the details of hosting. There is, as others have said, a refrigerator stocked with various things to drink, including wine.

My overall impression is: uninspired and rundown.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple