“Perfect Get Away” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Star of Texas Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Star of Texas Inn
Ranked #10 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Lisbon, Portugal
“Perfect Get Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Was there for Business and visiting friends and was very surprised by the excellent location, plus the accommodation facilities and great friendly staff.

If in Austin and would like to be away from downtown and at the same time being able to walk there this is the perfect spot.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jaqueline S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
North, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here before and loved it so back we came. Just as quirky, whimsical, and excellent as our previous visit. Kudos to Milly, the breakfast chef, for her delicious broccoli casserole and fantastic blueberry muffins,but also for her friendliness and help. Star of Texas is not five stars, it is the "Star" and lives up to its billing in unique and endearing ways.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Traveler6102013
DFW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed recently for a campus visit with our prospective student. It was so nice to leave the car parked in the lot at the B&B and not worry about finding parking on campus. We were able to walk every where we needed to go and we felt like we had a great introduction into campus life as there were usually students walking by. Our room in the Star of Texas 2 was on the 2nd floor and we found it to be comfortable. Everything was nice and in good working order. The only housekeeping issue I saw was some staining on the very light cream colored carpet. The Star of Texas buildings are next to each other and we saw the sister property the Austin Folk House a short distance away. If you appreciate the character and charm of an older home, you will probably enjoy your stay. Other reviewers commented on street noise. We did not experience anything out of the ordinary for an urban location on a fairly busy street and were not at all bothered by it. We enjoyed the breakfast. Both mornings there were an egg dish, bacon, a type of muffin along with fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, and bagels. Juice, lemonade, and soft drinks were available whenever we wanted them. The University Coop/Bookstore, a CVS, restaurants and other businesses were conveniently located a short walk away. While the staff seemed to only be onsite to prepare breakfast or clean rooms after checkout, both people we encountered were very friendly and helpful. We asked for and were given a late checkout time which was very appreciated.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank amyntexas
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

On first sight seems rather old and shabby but the rooms are really comfortable and bathrooms more than adequate (was in room 14 which has a bath and shower over). At first it also seems odd that you never see the owners etc except for someone briefly refilling the breakfast spread. TV very basic. But the wifi was super fast - downloaded my osx upgrade. Who needs a tv anyway on such visits? Breakfast is also excellent and drinks always available - and those cookies - had friends asking me to grab some for them. The main advantage is the location especially if it's the university you want (was giving a lecture). Hope to stay here again when I'm next around.

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank mullasadra
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed for a week at the Start of Texas Inn while working in Austin, and loved it. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and cosy. A breakfast of bacon and eggs, fresh fruit, toast and cereal was perfect. Free lemonade, soft drinks or juice every day.

Our hostess even offered me the use of a washing machine for my laundry. When I returned, my washing was folded and returned to my room!

Room Tip: Room 25 was very nice and has two beds, a king and a single, perfect for a small family.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Theresgj
Georgia, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was a great place to stay for meetings I had at UT. The proprietors are very friendly and accommodating - they let me print my boarding pass, for example. The information about Austin they have in the rooms is very helpful, and it's easy to get to restaurants, etc by walking. Despite warnings it would be noisy outside, I had a very restful night. They do provide white noise machines, however. The breakfast was very tasty, and they have cookies in the afternoons and wine in the evening. The only issue was a rather large cobweb in my room.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor because I did not want to hear people walking above me. It is a spacious...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sarita08
North, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Star of Texas B&B was exactly what my husband and I were looking for in Austin. We were in Austin for an opening exhibit at the Harry Ransom Center on the campus of University of Texas and for the UT football game so we wanted to be close enough to walk to both events and not bother with parking. Star of Texas was the perfect choice. Plus we had a lovely room with a wide veranda where we could enjoy coffee in the morning and a drink in the afternoon. The inn offers a delicious breakfast, hot casseroles, orange juice, bacon, and all other wonderful choices. After I bragged on an egg casserole, the cook even shared a recipe with me. Dylan who also worked there was so helpful and friendly that we felt were visiting someone's home rather than a place of business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family