“Traffic Noise is a Nightmare” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #115 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“Traffic Noise is a Nightmare”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is great. The service was super friendly. The room was clean and cozy. The bathroom was tiny but adequate. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep a wink the entire night (as a matter of fact, I'm laying in the bed in my hotel room right now at 6:41 am). From the seventh floor, the traffic noise from I 35 was so bad, that nothing I did blocked it out (listening to white noise, music, audio book using noise canceling ear buds, pillow over the head, etc.). I am not a light sleeper, so for me to not be able to sleep due to noise is unusual. The traffic was constant all night long. I brought my daughters to Austin to see a concert at Stubbs and am worried about making the drive back to Dallas with them after a completely sleepless night. I would not recommend this hotel for the traffic noise reason.

Stayed April 2014
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for the comments of our hotel and staff. We regret that noise from I35 did not allow a restful nights sleep.

Although we’re replaced our windows with double paned glass and will be adding thicker blackout drapes, we can’t move the building or the interstate. Some of our guests are just more sensitive than others.

We hope you will give us another try they next time you come to Austin. We always do our best to honor requests specifically those requesting a quiet room away from traffic.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here overnight on our way to the Texas Gulf Coast. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The shower spray was good and strong but the bathroom was a little small by American standards (but not as small as in France!). There were a few minor cosmetic blemishes such as a paint mark on the wall near the bed and a hole in the fabric on the ottoman but nothing major to complain about. The wall mounted TV worked fine. There is free parking but you must come down an elevator in the garage and then walk through the building to the lobby to get to the elevator to go up to your room. We didn't use the bar or restaurant so we can't really comment on those amenities. The staff were pleasant and courteous. The top floors have a nice view of Lady Bird Lake (named for the late former First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson). The hotel is right off the highway (Interstate 35) in downtown Austin. Almost as soon as you exit, you are there and when you leave, the highway entrance ramp is also conveniently located. There is some traffic noise but it didn't prevent us from getting a good night's sleep. Each room also has a coffee maker with disposable filters for making one cup at a time. On the whole, this is a good hotel for the money.

Room Tip: Some rooms on upper floors have view of Lady Bird Lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thanks for the through review. Your stay is what we strive to provide every guest. It seems like everybody has a different view on location but I’m confident that your observations are shared by most.

The garage elevator is only connected to the lobby for security purposes. The goal is not to allow anybody into the hotel that has not had to pass some form of observation by staff. In the case of the garage, cars must pass an access gate that is monitored by cameras.

Please come back the next time you visit Austin. There’s a whole lot to see and do that you just can’t do in just one trip.
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Great room, great location. Close to downtown as well as the arboretum location. full restaurant and bar, not priced to gouge you. If you are a whiskey person see if you can grab a a seat directly at the bar and hope Troy is working. Rockstar, very knowledgeable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Although you’re typical Holiday Inn lounge doesn’t always have the reputation as a fun place, it’s the people that make ours great and Troy is a big reason. He’s enjoys what he does and is good at his work.

Thanks for taking the time to let us all know. We do appreciate it.
Duarte, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was in, what is considered to be, the older tower. Room was small. 2 full beds pretty much took up the entire width of the room with some space in between. Bathroom was small too. Everything in the room was clean and in good working condition. There was a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee in the room. I don't know when the room was last remodeled, but almost everything looked new, except the AC. Not enough electrical outlets to charge all my devices.
The hotel is right next to the highway, but I was not bothered by any road noise. I was, however, annoyed by noise from the hallway. Every time somebody opened or closed a door, you could hear it.
The entire hotel was clean and looked modern. It looked like it was remodeled not too long ago. The restaurant area looked really nice, but I did not eat there.
Be wary of the business center. It needs some attention. I went in there to print out flight tickets. First computer I used was super slow. I don't know what had been done to it, but it would take over a minute for each click to load and with every click 1 or 2 extra browser windows would pop up with advertisements. I switched to the 2nd computer which was a bit sticky (ewwwww) and had an empty beer glass next to it. This computer was very fast, but it was not connected to the printer. I had to swap the USB cables myself only to find that the faster computer would not recognize the printer. After messing around with both machines for about 30 minutes, I gave up and started to leave, just then the printer turned on and printed multiple prints of my flight tickets. I don't know if more printed later or which computer finally responded.
All in all the hotel wasn't that bad. I think the room rate is too high for what you get. I reserved the room at a discounted rate through another website and still thought that I overpaid. Although this place is listed as a 3 star hotel, it's like a low level 3 star or maybe a 2.5 star.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the detailed review. It appears that you had a pleasant stay.

Our last complete renovation was in 2009 but we’re in the process of another one for this year. We get heavy use so it’s a never ending process to keep everything up to date and in good order.

The business center computers are checked daily but it’s always difficult to them clean both inside and out. We regret your frustration and have addressed the issues. It appears that a guest needed one of the printer cables. Our next step is to set up a wireless printing system.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Good location on the lake, close to Rainey Street which was a real plus. Did not have opportunity to take advantage of pool or other amenities but the staff we encountered were all very friendly. Free wifi always a plus.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments. You hit some of the high points that many of our guests appreciate and we’ll continue to work to make the hotel even better for your next stay.

Come back and see us again soon.
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed two night in April and was very satisfied. My room was clean and updated. The bed comfortable. The bathroom was on the small side but I was traveling alone so that was not a problem.

Checking in took a little more time then it should because there were only two people behind the desk and there was a line waiting to get checked in. When it was my turn the staff was courteous and professional and had me to my room in no time.

The only drawback was the high price for the rooms so the place is no bargain.

I also thought a breakfast was included. I had a glass of OJ and a breakfast taco that was only fair. As I was leaving I was given a bill for the breakfast bar. Even if I had a huge breakfast I would have been overcharged and for as little as I ate I felt robbed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not overlooking Interstate 35
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for the comments and observations. They are welcomed from a seasoned traveler and top contributor to Trip Advisor.
We do our best every day to provide clean and comfortable accommodations at a reasonable cost. We’re generally priced competitively with similar hotels but we also provide free parking and WiFi unlike other properties around the downtown area. This can be a hefty savings.

We’re a full service Holiday Inn. Unlike Holiday Inn Express that provides a limited complimentary breakfast, we provide a full menu along with buffets at breakfast and lunch.

Unfortunately, if you used the buffet, you were charged the buffet price regardless of what was eaten. It should have been clearly noted on your guest check in the restaurant. Additionally, although they are not on the standard menu, just ask the server if that is all that’s needed, I’m certain we can accommodate your needs.

Thanks again for your comments and come back and see us soon.
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is a standard Holiday Inn. As a platinum member, the "free" gift was 500 points or a free drink. I like other hotels that allow you to grab amenities from the gift shop. Speaking of gift shop, they don't allow you to use your credit card unless it is a $10 charge. Really? Overpriced and no credit card? There is a Chevron right next door though.

The rooms were average. Outdated decor (the wood furnishings), lumpy pillows...but a view of the river and 35. Bathroom was fine. Good water pressure and hot water. Flat screen TV with a good channel selection.

Housekeeping was rather slow...arriving one day at 4 PM to clean.

In house restaurant was just meh. They have a breakfast buffet for $11.99. It was digestible, but avoid if you can. You are in Austin after all.

This brings me to the biggest problem. Location. I was stuck eating breakfast here because there was nothing else in walking distance. Even with a car it is a pain to drive downtown for food and SoCo is a 10 minute drive and then having to deal with the mess of parking.

I wouldn't return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thanks for the detailed comments and for taking the time to relay them, particularly the information on the gift shop.

Like many hotels, we do not run the gift shop or set their policies although we will be addressing the $10.00 minimum. I understand that many small businesses seek to minimize the percentage paid as so called “swipe fees” by setting a minimum.

Many guests really enjoy our location next to the river and within walking distance of downtown. It allows us to offer free parking and our guest transportation is used heavily by our guests to access the city center.

Although we seek to provide a wide variety on our breakfast buffet, there are plenty of other options near the hotel other than South Congress. Just east of the hotel on Ceasar Chavez, Riverside and East 6th are numerous spots including some to the best breakfast tacos and other breakfast fare around. Try Cisco’s Restaurant and Bakery the next time, they are legendary.

We hope to see you again soon.