“They get it!”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #102 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Seldom am I inspired to write a review but after a great stay at this property I simply have to. I regret that I cannot remember the name of the young lady that checked me in. She was genuinely friendly and welcoming. She gave me some great pointers on where to go to dinner within walking distance of the hotel. When I returned from dinner, she made a point of asking me where I ended up and if I enjoyed my experience.

While this is a mature Holiday Inn and not the newest property in Austin, it is in very good condition and my room was immaculate, spacious and comfortable. I had a spectacular view of the lake which made me regret not staying longer to explore the trails and water activities going on below.

The next morning I enjoyed a very nice full American Breakfast for something like $12.95 (un heard of value) complete with a made to order egg white omelet. I had a lesser breakfast at the Rosewood Crescent Court in Dallas 2 days prior and paid $29.33. Apples to oranges...I know but the difference was my server Leo. Like his front desk counterpart, his interest in my comfort and enjoyment of my breakfast was genuine. He checked back to make sure I had everything I needed, he explained how the breakfast worked and when I wanted to pay, there was the bill (many many restaurants blow otherwise great dining experiences by being slow with the bill).

Austin is booming and I had a hard time finding a downtown hotel. I ended up at this Holiday Inn sort of by default. I was a bit concerned because the room rate was considerably lower than what I normally pay in Austin. I spent the earlier part of the week at true 4-Star-4 Diamond hotels in Oklahoma City, Dallas and Houston and they all did a good job managing my guest experience. None of them however can compare in terms of the genuine sense of hospitality that has been inspired inside this Holiday Inn.

I work in the hospitality business and it was fantastic to see the great, real work being done inside this hotel. Thank you very much for the experience!

Room Tip: The fun and energy of the Rainey Street bars and restaurants 2 blocks from the hotel is reason enouf...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you, Thank you for taking the time and effort to compliment our hotel and staff.

Your experience is what we seek for all our guests and were glad you enjoyed your stay. Please think of us the next time your travel plans bring you to Austin

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Customer service at the front desk was very nice and personable (Garrett). I was placed in a room on the 12th floor facing I-35. Tried falling asleep around 11pm and lie in bed awake until 3am. The noise and vibration from the traffic was just simply unbearable. I put in earplugs and turned on the AC to mask the noise but it didn't make a difference. Called the front desk at 1am to have my room switched, but they told me they were 100% full.

Room was small and cleaned but very old furnishings. Uncomfortable bed. Had to check out a day earlier than expected because I need sleep! Yes, it was that bad. Will find another hotel in Austin.

Room Tip: I would think there are quieter rooms NOT facing I-35
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

We regret that you did not get a good nights sleep. That's truly our goal for every guest.

We do always try to accommodate our guests needs but it we have indeed had many sold out night recently.

Thanks for you’re compliments to our staff. They are truly the backbone of our operation.
Should you decide to return please contact a manager to assure that you get a quieter accommodation to assure a restful stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The staff at the desk is super nice, look for Garrett, a friendly and helpful young man, Samir is very helpful too. Good service in general, free WI-FI & bussiness center. Rooms are small but decent and clean.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thanks so much for your kind words about our staff. We strive to hire and retain the best associates in Austin.

We do indeed have complimentary WiFi. We also feature complimentary parking and airport transfers. These free services make us an exceptional value in the downtown area.

Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Location, Location, Location is what made us book this hotel for a business trip to Austin.
On the positive: staff extremely pleasant and helpful, the hotel/room was clean and centrally located in Austin.
Negative: This hotel is in a bad need of a remodel! Just about every facet of the hotel is outdated even the TV/entertainment. I’m not sure how in 2014 you can deliver a picture image that is worse than 1970’s rabbit ears… but they did. Wasn't impressed that my in room coffee wasn't replenished after the first night & had to call the front desk.

Like I said… Nothing special. For the $190 I paid for a room facing the freeway , I will look elsewhere next business trip to Austin.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate your kind comments about our staff. We may not be the newest hotel in Austin but we can certainly be the most hospitable. You may be interested to learn that we will indeed be renovating in the coming months.

We regret the poor reception on your TV. These units are less that two years old and we utilize the same provider as most properties in Austin. I hope you were able to relay the comment to our staff so our engineering staff can make the needed repair.

Coffee is to be replenished daily when the room is made up. I’ll be sure to make our Executive Housekeeper aware of this so she can reinforce this policy.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope you’ll give us another try soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have had a brilliant service from Garrett and Danielle, who bent over backwards to assist us. They were thoroughly pleasant, and made the whole check in procedure a dream.

We have enjoyed our stay so much so that we stayed and extra unplanned night.

Room Tip: the 9th floor was so quiet and away from any traffic noise..
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for the wonderful comments about our front desk staff.

A good first impression certainly does set the stage for a pleasant stay. We’ll pass the compliment along.

Be sure to come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The location of the hotel is great. The service was super friendly. The room was clean and cozy. The bathroom was tiny but adequate. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep a wink the entire night (as a matter of fact, I'm laying in the bed in my hotel room right now at 6:41 am). From the seventh floor, the traffic noise from I 35 was so bad, that nothing I did blocked it out (listening to white noise, music, audio book using noise canceling ear buds, pillow over the head, etc.). I am not a light sleeper, so for me to not be able to sleep due to noise is unusual. The traffic was constant all night long. I brought my daughters to Austin to see a concert at Stubbs and am worried about making the drive back to Dallas with them after a completely sleepless night. I would not recommend this hotel for the traffic noise reason.

Stayed: April 2014
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for the comments of our hotel and staff. We regret that noise from I35 did not allow a restful nights sleep.

Although we’re replaced our windows with double paned glass and will be adding thicker blackout drapes, we can’t move the building or the interstate. Some of our guests are just more sensitive than others.

We hope you will give us another try they next time you come to Austin. We always do our best to honor requests specifically those requesting a quiet room away from traffic.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here overnight on our way to the Texas Gulf Coast. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The shower spray was good and strong but the bathroom was a little small by American standards (but not as small as in France!). There were a few minor cosmetic blemishes such as a paint mark on the wall near the bed and a hole in the fabric on the ottoman but nothing major to complain about. The wall mounted TV worked fine. There is free parking but you must come down an elevator in the garage and then walk through the building to the lobby to get to the elevator to go up to your room. We didn't use the bar or restaurant so we can't really comment on those amenities. The staff were pleasant and courteous. The top floors have a nice view of Lady Bird Lake (named for the late former First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson). The hotel is right off the highway (Interstate 35) in downtown Austin. Almost as soon as you exit, you are there and when you leave, the highway entrance ramp is also conveniently located. There is some traffic noise but it didn't prevent us from getting a good night's sleep. Each room also has a coffee maker with disposable filters for making one cup at a time. On the whole, this is a good hotel for the money.

Room Tip: Some rooms on upper floors have view of Lady Bird Lake.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thanks for the through review. Your stay is what we strive to provide every guest. It seems like everybody has a different view on location but I’m confident that your observations are shared by most.

The garage elevator is only connected to the lobby for security purposes. The goal is not to allow anybody into the hotel that has not had to pass some form of observation by staff. In the case of the garage, cars must pass an access gate that is monitored by cameras.

Please come back the next time you visit Austin. There’s a whole lot to see and do that you just can’t do in just one trip.