“Upper side of average”

Ranked #102 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“Upper side of average”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed on night for a business trip. Room was on the small side, was a double bed although I had requested a king. Arrived late (11pm) and the hotel was practically sold out, was the reason. Oh well, at least they still had a room for me.

Had a few drinks at the bar, and the fajita tacos. No complaints. Had the breakfast buffet in the morning before driving out, which was especially good. Even Had someone cooking eggs fresh to order.

Front desk staff was polite.

Bathroom was roomy - definitely a bonus in my book.

Everything was very, very clean.

Pricey, but was cheapest in downtown Austin. If I had to stay in this area I'd consider them again, but I'd definitely see if someone else nearby could beat the cost.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jason M
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thanks for the positive review. It seems like we achieved our goal of clean comfortable accommodations with good food and hospitality to boot.

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is terrible! We are currently staying here for 2 nights and counting the days until we can leave. As a Holiday Inn we expected the usual, but this hotel falls FAR short. There are two tours, make sure you don't get stuck in the old one.

It is old, everything is damp-the hotel guide was soaking wet. The room was also very warm. When we arrived we were told they sold out of King beds, we offered to pay extra to upgrade to ANYTHING to get a better room but was told again and again they were "sold out." No apologies for anything.

Paint was peeling, elevator buttons cracked, the room smelled like urine. Stay anywhere else, even though this hotel is cheaper, don't stay here. Austin is a beautiful city, we stayed somewhere else the first few days and then came here and were so disappointed.

On the bright side, there's a fridge and microwave. And as the lady at the front desk kept repeating "free parking! You are so lucky!"

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa F
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
We certainly regret that your stay was not up to our standards, particularly housekeeping issues. I hope you were able to relay this to our staff so we could remedy these issues. Each room is inspected daily after Housekeepers finish their work. I will share this with our Executive Housekeeper and inspectors to assure they are aware of your comments.

We work hard at keeping our property clean and ready for guests and will happily move guests if there are any problems with their room. We were indeed sold out for only two nights earlier this week but hopefully we were able to move you to a more satisfactory accommodation.

Thanks too for your comment on our staff and amenities. The micro-fridge, complimentary parking, complimentary local and airport shuttles along with free Wifi always provide our guests with good value near downtown.

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Maine, US
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I normally would have given this hotel 4 stars, but the unbelievable kindness and hospitality of staff make me love this place and want to come back. From check in- to the bar- to offering a shuttle to downtown-all staff were helpful and courteous! Gave good recommendations too! The hotel is slightly dated, but very clean. The location is fantastic- walk to and from the Rainey st bars and restaurants which is a very cool area. A 5 -10 minute drive anywhere else. The pool is nice as it overlooks the lake. I had a view of the lake as well from the room which was very nice. Parking is free! I will definitely stay here again when visiting Austin.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thanks for your positive comments about your stay.

It sound like we achieved our goal of providing exemplary service and hospitality. We’ve got a great crew and do our best to retain these ambassadors of Holiday Inn and Austin.

Please come back soon.
Broomfield
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Seldom am I inspired to write a review but after a great stay at this property I simply have to. I regret that I cannot remember the name of the young lady that checked me in. She was genuinely friendly and welcoming. She gave me some great pointers on where to go to dinner within walking distance of the hotel. When I returned from dinner, she made a point of asking me where I ended up and if I enjoyed my experience.

While this is a mature Holiday Inn and not the newest property in Austin, it is in very good condition and my room was immaculate, spacious and comfortable. I had a spectacular view of the lake which made me regret not staying longer to explore the trails and water activities going on below.

The next morning I enjoyed a very nice full American Breakfast for something like $12.95 (un heard of value) complete with a made to order egg white omelet. I had a lesser breakfast at the Rosewood Crescent Court in Dallas 2 days prior and paid $29.33. Apples to oranges...I know but the difference was my server Leo. Like his front desk counterpart, his interest in my comfort and enjoyment of my breakfast was genuine. He checked back to make sure I had everything I needed, he explained how the breakfast worked and when I wanted to pay, there was the bill (many many restaurants blow otherwise great dining experiences by being slow with the bill).

Austin is booming and I had a hard time finding a downtown hotel. I ended up at this Holiday Inn sort of by default. I was a bit concerned because the room rate was considerably lower than what I normally pay in Austin. I spent the earlier part of the week at true 4-Star-4 Diamond hotels in Oklahoma City, Dallas and Houston and they all did a good job managing my guest experience. None of them however can compare in terms of the genuine sense of hospitality that has been inspired inside this Holiday Inn.

I work in the hospitality business and it was fantastic to see the great, real work being done inside this hotel. Thank you very much for the experience!

Room Tip: The fun and energy of the Rainey Street bars and restaurants 2 blocks from the hotel is reason enouf...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you, Thank you for taking the time and effort to compliment our hotel and staff.

Your experience is what we seek for all our guests and were glad you enjoyed your stay. Please think of us the next time your travel plans bring you to Austin
Punta Cana
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Customer service at the front desk was very nice and personable (Garrett). I was placed in a room on the 12th floor facing I-35. Tried falling asleep around 11pm and lie in bed awake until 3am. The noise and vibration from the traffic was just simply unbearable. I put in earplugs and turned on the AC to mask the noise but it didn't make a difference. Called the front desk at 1am to have my room switched, but they told me they were 100% full.

Room was small and cleaned but very old furnishings. Uncomfortable bed. Had to check out a day earlier than expected because I need sleep! Yes, it was that bad. Will find another hotel in Austin.

Room Tip: I would think there are quieter rooms NOT facing I-35
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We regret that you did not get a good nights sleep. That's truly our goal for every guest.

We do always try to accommodate our guests needs but it we have indeed had many sold out night recently.

Thanks for you’re compliments to our staff. They are truly the backbone of our operation.
Should you decide to return please contact a manager to assure that you get a quieter accommodation to assure a restful stay.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The staff at the desk is super nice, look for Garrett, a friendly and helpful young man, Samir is very helpful too. Good service in general, free WI-FI & bussiness center. Rooms are small but decent and clean.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thanks so much for your kind words about our staff. We strive to hire and retain the best associates in Austin.

We do indeed have complimentary WiFi. We also feature complimentary parking and airport transfers. These free services make us an exceptional value in the downtown area.

Please come back and see us again soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Location, Location, Location is what made us book this hotel for a business trip to Austin.
On the positive: staff extremely pleasant and helpful, the hotel/room was clean and centrally located in Austin.
Negative: This hotel is in a bad need of a remodel! Just about every facet of the hotel is outdated even the TV/entertainment. I’m not sure how in 2014 you can deliver a picture image that is worse than 1970’s rabbit ears… but they did. Wasn't impressed that my in room coffee wasn't replenished after the first night & had to call the front desk.

Like I said… Nothing special. For the $190 I paid for a room facing the freeway , I will look elsewhere next business trip to Austin.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate your kind comments about our staff. We may not be the newest hotel in Austin but we can certainly be the most hospitable. You may be interested to learn that we will indeed be renovating in the coming months.

We regret the poor reception on your TV. These units are less that two years old and we utilize the same provider as most properties in Austin. I hope you were able to relay the comment to our staff so our engineering staff can make the needed repair.

Coffee is to be replenished daily when the room is made up. I’ll be sure to make our Executive Housekeeper aware of this so she can reinforce this policy.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope you’ll give us another try soon.