“The customer service”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #104 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The customer service of Danielle, Alia, and Shanna was Excellent! I am an organization administrator and I understand the importance of great customer service. During my stay, these individuals were efficient, curteous and friendly. Shanna handled our check-in flawlessly as well as day to day questions about Austin and hotel features. Alia also displayed exceptional professional service, answering my questions and shuttling my group back and forth to our conference. Shanna was amazing through out our stay going above the call of duty to make sure our accommodation needs were met. If there were openings in my current organazation, I would want them to be part of my team.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Our staff does truly represent our hotel well. We all work hard every day to assure great guest stays and we truly appreciate you for taking the time to recognize our efforts.

Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

There was an issue at the hotel that was out of their hands. The hotel staff was VERY apologetic and accommodating. Danielle and Alia, in particular, were extremely helpful. I feel that customer service comes before anything else.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your comments and patience during the power outage.

Although the power supply was interrupted, our staff proved that we have the best people the business regardless of the circumstances. Although it was an interruption to our guests, I hope we were able to make you comfortable and informed.

Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is a perfect split of good and bad in my opinion.

Firstly, the hotel is seriously tired and is in desperate need of an update. The furniture, floor coverings and decor is all way past its best.

The shuttle service is free but completely unreliable. In fact I'd even go so far as to say the shuttle service is the thing that p***** me off the most about this hotel.

The staff. This is really the purpose of this report. They are such a mixed bunch. I'm not going to name and shame the bad members of staff but I do think it's fit to name Alia, Devon from reception and Troy from the bar as individiuals who stand out head and shoulders above the rest of the staff due to their competance, friendliness and attitude. These three people were fanctastic throughout my stay. Well done to you three.

The housekeeping staff do a good job with the rooms. Nice touches include the interesting towel folding skills.

The internet is managed by a third party and the password is supposedly changed on a Monday though it changed on the Thursday when I stayed (partial way through a download) and I couldn't be bothered getting it reset as by this point it was just another thing that had annoyed me. The internet though is very slow. The speed of internet connectivity is a massive problem across all IHG hotels.

Also the old girl who runs the breakfast could be a little more friendly which is an understatement.

I wouldn't eat in this hotel. Go round the corner to Rainey Street! It's great.

Room Tip: Wait til they've started/completed a refurb.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for taking a few moments to relay the comments about your recent stay. We appreciate your time.

Our local shuttle service is based on availability and is best scheduled as far in advance as possible. We make dozens of prescheduled runs to the airport based on flight times and usually dedicate one van for local runs, particularly on during busy timeframes when we could have as many as 500 people in site.

Unfortunately, it’s just not possible to assure service on demand. There are other alternatives, cabfare into the downtown area is usually around $6-7.00 and Rainey Street is a short 5 minute walk from the hotel.

I’m puzzled by the comments about our internet service. I spoke to the Front Office Manager who renews the password and she indicated that it is always on Monday morning. We are at 50/5 wireless which is pretty standard for hotels of our size but speed will always depend on how many guests are online simultaneously.

Thanks too for your comments about our staff, we do our best to find, hire and retain the best, most hospitable associates in Austin. However, I would like to add that the “old girl” you mention has been with us 38 years and is one of our most treasured associates. There are many guest who ask for her by name and remember her from their past stays.

We are indeed planning the refresh you suggest. It will include guest rooms as well as major changes to the lobby and front desk area. We hope you’ll come back next year and see what we’ve done.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I came from Kansas City and stayed two nights at this hotel during the 2014 ATX Festival. Real good experience. The service was great, especially the free shuttle to Paramount Theater and South Congress (SOCO) area. Just have to be okay waiting until set times that it leaves. We used this free service twice and only had to wait 15 minutes each time. I did not use the shuttle service on the way back, as we enjoyed the close trail around Lady-Bird lake that brought you all the way back to the hotel. No bugs at all on this trail and it runs right by the lake. So nice!! I only give it one star less than 5 because the continental breakfast isn't free, yet we paid nearly $400. To me that's quite high for a hotel 4 miles from the main downtown tourist spots, and should include free breakfast. Elevator and carpeting/walls outside of rooms on the north tower were very outdated and looked worn. No balcony on room but it seemed clean and pretty modern (flat-screen, coffee maker, fridge, and microwave). We had no problem sleeping and A/C worked great. I generally put this on high so I don't hear traffic/noises. Pool on sixth floor of South tower nice, also there was a workout room and pay washer/dryer there. Would consider staying again.

Room Tip: I'd stay at the south tower. Closer to parking, bar/restaurant and pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your positive comments. We’re glad you that we had the chance to accommodate you during the X Games and provide some transportation to make your stay convenient and comfortable.

We do have packages available that include breakfast but full service Holiday Inns do not generally include breakfast. Our rates are always competitive with our competition particularly during special events and we work hard to provide every guest with value for their dollar.

We are planning a renovation of public areas in the near future and hope you return soon to enjoy Austin and our hotel.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This place was great. This place has very service. Good breakfast and great house keeping. Also they have great food places around it. If you want to go out. I love this place. So come on in to Holiday Inn!!!

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the third floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thanks for the great review. You hit the high points and we appreciate the recognition.

Please come back and enjoy Austin and our hotel soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and could not get over how this hotel goes out of its way to please the customer. First they provide shuttle service two and from the hotel. Which will save you on a cab fare. Also you can use the shuttle within a two mile radius of the hotel for free. Just ask ahead of time and if they are not going to the airport they will accomodate you. And if you are lucky enough to get James to pick you up be sure to talk to him about places to see and dine. When we checked in we were greeted by Fred, Garrett,, and Danielle. They let us check out our room before we checked in. And upgraded us to a King room with a great view of the Lake and the hotel pool. Later that first day they called to make sure we had everything we needed and said not to hesitate calling them if we needed anything. Later we also spoke with Rachel and Noelle who also were very helpful. They also have a fine restaurant. We ate breakfast every morning and I must say have two very dedicated servers, Victor and Joyce who has been a server for 38 years. Be sure to have either one serve you. This entire staff goes above and beyond to please. Kudos!!!!!

Room Tip: The tower on the side with the the view of the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thanks so much for your gracious comments about our hotel and recognizing our staff.

They make us shine every day and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know. Staff development and retention is key to making every guest feel at home on the road and we work hard to give our guest the finest hospitality Austin has to offer.

Please come back and visit again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Overall, I have to rate this hotel as average. The rooms are actually good, but I felt the entry and hallways were a little "dumpy." Nice room. Nice bed. Good service at desk. 1.5 mile walk along lake to downtown or South Congress Avenue. If you want to be more centrally located so you don't have to walk as far, I recommend paying for the Hyatt or other downtown hotel. But Holiday Inn is certainly more reasonable. My room was on freeway side so it was a bit noisy. Definitely ask for lake view.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view or to be on side of hotel to avoid freeway noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kim M
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thanks for your kind comments about our property.

We are indeed in about a 15 minute walk along the lake from downtown or you can walk up Rainey Street and take in Austin’s newest entertainment district. We also offer complimentary shuttle service into the downtown area.

We hope you will return the next time your travel plans include Austin.