“Good location”

Ranked #113 of 199 Hotels in Austin
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good location”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Close to Rainey st bars. Great location for walking around lake or renting a kayak out back. Our room was small, but cheaper compared to downtown. It Watson the water side, so no noise issues. Good value and front staff was very friendly. Free shuttle too.

Stayed August 2014
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thanks you for taking the time to relay your experience at our hotel.

When the founder of Holiday Inns saw our location, he too thought it would be a great place for a hotel and that was before the area developed into a prime entertainment district.

We’re proud to offer Austin visitors great value and hope to see you again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Weekend family vacation in Austin; arrive late Friday night and was paying first night for Lake view and rewards point for second night; Shanna, in front desk was very helpful in getting us same room for both nights; she was very engaging and provided all the best places to go for a weekend trip; we took all her advice and having a fantastic time so far; we have some morning activities then drive home; only problem was that our room was not cleaned on Saturday but we did get fresh towels; that was not a problem for us; the beds were comfortable and front desk staff was very helpful; this will be our hotel in Austin for sure! The bike and hike trail was perfect to see bats at Congress Bridge and hotel is walking distance to rocking Rainey Street; forget sixth street!

Stayed August 2014
Thanks for the kind review and yes Shanna Rocks. She offers the kind of hospitality that we strive for with all our guests.

I’ll be sure to point out your housekeeping issues to our Executive Housekeeper and appreciate your patience but I’m glad we were able to make your stay a great one.

We’ll still be in the same spot for your next visit so some on back soon.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here and will never forget how great the AC rooms were in the hot, Austin summer. I enjoyed how close the hotel was to the lake and that there was a kayaking/canoe rental right behind the hotel. It was family run and they allowed me to keep my purse with them while I kayaked, in order to have my room key while in my bathing suit.
The hotel is close to a nice trail that goes up and down the lake, I wish I had explored it more, but the bars/restaurants on Rainy Street got my attention a little more than the trail.
Rainy Street is a short walk away and has some of the best bars and food vendors that I still dream about. A bit of a longer walk will take you downtown, which I really enjoyed. When I travel, I like everything to be relatively close together. I thoroughly enjoyed the shopping and though I walked back to the hotel around midnight, I was told that I shouldn't have done that as it can be dangerous for a solo young traveller. None the less, I didn't have any issues.
The hotel itself had great staff, comfortable beds, and helpful shuttle drivers. If the timing works, the shuttle will even take you to SOCO and other areas. Of course, taking guests to and from the airport is their first priority and that only makes sense. This hotel was great and I look forward to returning!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
We’re elated that you enjoyed your say and had the opportunity to try out some of the amenities that make our location outstanding.

We’ll start a top to bottom renovation in November so come on back and see the new look.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed 1 night in July 2014. It is a good hotel if you want to stay close to lake/river. Activities available from hotel for lake/river..It takes about 15-20 minutes to walk 6th street. No complimentary breakfast but restaurant available in the hotel. very close to highway...Rooms are clean and nice....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Oznar
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thanks for the review, short and sweet.

Many of our guests love our location and take advantage of Lady Bird Lake and easy access to downtown. Yes, I guess it’s technically a lake on a river with dams on both ends and the wild Colorado below all the way to the gulf.

Come back and enjoy our hotel again soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business recently. The hotel looks worn and dated, and is located in a less than desirable neighborhood. Upon check in, the staff was polite and accommodating. I asked for a "quiet" room, and the desk employee stated my room was a "designated quiet room". I was glad for that until I actually got to the room in the round building. My "designated quiet room" was directly overlooking a 10 lane interstate highway. To accommodate for the noise, I closed every curtain possible, turned on the AC fan to high, and inserted a pair of earplugs so I could sleep. Some of my co-workers complained about the noise, and one even paid extra to be relocated to another room. For this reason, coupled with the age and condition of the hotel, I do not recommend this hotel. Find another hotel!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, check in early and ask for a room facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank swcrowder
todped, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thanks for your comments and compliments on out staff.

It sounds like the noise from I 35 disturbed your rest. To help alleviate this in the future we’re planning to install thicker blackout curtains to go with the double paned glass that are currently on the building. Although we 175 feet from the highway, traffic noise can sometimes be a problem. The rest of the property will begin a full renovation this November.

Our neighborhood is desirable to many and features several new luxury residential towers, the Butler Hike and Bike Trail and a blossoming Rainey Street District.

We hope you will give us another try when you return to Austin.

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Holiday Inn on Town Lake was my first experience of booking a hotel under my name. I was in Austin for 6th street and this hotel was in a pretty good location. I had friends that walked from the hotel to 6th street, but personally I drove and had a cab drive us. It is about a 20 minute walk and $10 cab fair.

The first night I arrived, we did not have hot water, it was more like lukewarm. I made a call to the front desk and within a couple hours our water was good and hot! I requested for an extra pillow and blanket and was greeted at the elevator with 2 pillows and 2 blankets. All the staff were very nice and accommodating. My friends and I woke up after house cleaning had come through our floor. On our way out of the hotel that day we requested to have the room cleaned. When we arrived back our room had definitely been cleaned.

They were excellent about providing for our needs/requests. They even had great information and about the town and nightlife. I will choose this hotel again in my future travels to Austin, TX.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
todped, General Manager at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We’re elated that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of some of the hot spots near the hotel.

Sixth Street is indeed a 20 minute walk be you may be sistracted if you walk through the Rainey Street District. In recent years, Rainey Street has started to rival other entertainment areas and stack up pretty well. Plus, it’s only a couple of hundred yard north of us.

We hope you do choose us again the next time you come to town. Look for more information about our coming renovation. We’re getting better and better.
Belton, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

For the age it's still a nice hotel. Very clean, comfy beds. Great bar, restaurant. Desk folks very friendly. Parking garage - and it's free !! Great ac... Close to a lot of things even downtown. Very close to I -35 so be aware of some noise but I didn't find it bad or annoying. Seemed to be more in morning time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your time and interest.

All good and all true plus we’ll have an new look in the coming year. Please come back and see us again soon.