“Excellent service redeems the deficiencies”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #102 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Excellent service redeems the deficiencies”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I booked this hotel on a third-party website with a quite appealing price. While this hotel is not really at the heart of downtown, its location in the proximity of the lady bird lake is still an advantage. The hotel is old, and in my opinion it is in a desperate need of renovation. We lived in the North Tower, and the room was facing south towards the lake. Since it was in August, we have to close the curtain, or otherwise the room is just getting too warm even if the air conditioner is working properly. Probably because of this, the room seems to have a funny smell which reminds me of mold. The bathroom space is quite limited. Even worse, the tower shelf was rusty, and we had to check carefully that the towels were not touching the rust. To make our stay more embarrassing, we were accompanied by a bunch of guests next door who were having a party till 4 am during the weekend. For the record, we were traveling with a 18-month old baby.

We decided to leave this property earlier even if we risked the penalty of not getting our money back for the rest of the stay. We were greeted by Shea, and explained our situation with her and kindly asked her if we could still get a refund for the unused days. She turned out to be sympathetic to our experience, apologized for the noise, and didn't hesitate to go to the manager for the refund. We were even got a discount in our breakfast and dinner bills. Shea is definitely one of the most hospitable person I've ever met.

I now have a mixing feeling about this hotel. While the hotel lacks some quality in the facility, the staffs are truly professional and they do their jobs well. In particular, Shea's outstanding service really makes a difference in the end.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Although your stay did not meet your expectations we appreciate your business and positive comments about our staff.

We are taking your advice and renovating the property starting this fall and hope you will return to see the finished product.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I left a very important piece of personal property hanging in the closet and didn't realize it until I had gone security at the airport. I immediately called and spoke with Harley he said he would put me in touch with the director of housekeeping as soon as they got in , hour later. They immediately went out and found my property hanging right where I said it was. Then I spoke with used as Alia who was so very calm and reassuring that my property would be returned to me. Mela, the director of housekeeping immediately fed ex-d (I paid,my fault) my property and I got it just in time for my next trip. All the employees that assisted me with this problem were amazing thank you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Deborah A
We’re very proud of our staff and your experience shows that they truly care for our guests and their belongings.

Thanks for mentioning Harley and Alia, they are two of our best and set an excellent example for the rest of our staff.

Please come back and visit us again soon.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I don't mind paying for the price if it is truly 3 stars. After all you are staying for the room comfort. Very poorly maintained. We got switched room. First room had stains on the chair with air condition barely working. Second room with the supposed newer South tower. Curtains have holes all over. They used black masking tapes to cover the holes. Very very tacky. Not to mention carpet was old and elevator lights barely works. Just name the fews.
Garage parking and the professional staffs may just help but not enough to sustained the hotel price.
Despite the manager was very professional and helpful. It is really the room should be the main focus of the rating. Sorry I am not going back again!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
We certainly regret that we did not meet your expectation during your stay. I’ve show this to our maintenance and housekeeping department and have been assured that this is not our standard practice.

You may be interested in knowing that we will begin a complete renovation starting in the fall and it will include new window treatments as well as furnishings.

Thanks for your kind comments about our staff, they are truly the best in Austin.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Holiday Inn Austin
Located on IH 35. Hotel is next to Town Lake You can rent a paddle boat or sailboat close by. Hotel is 20 walk to 6th street and a 10 minute walk to Rainey Street. They have a shuttle bus available mostly to airport but during certain hours will bring you to nearby sites and drop you off (if pre arranged and available).
The staff was friendly and helpful. Parking is free
Rooms are clean, the sheets and towels are typical hotel types a little rough.
There is a bar that is open till midnight and a restaurant open till 10pm.
Our room had a coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave.
Because of its close proximity to freeway the room was a little noisy but we were still able to sleep.
All in all this is a clean, safe and decent hotel for the price, not some place you would go for a romantic get away to Austin but a good place to stay if your passing through.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing freeway
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
todped, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
You hit all the high points, thanks for your compliments about our staff.

Soon we’ll have all of these assets and a new look to boot. Our renovation will begin in November and be completed in the new year so come back and see us again then.
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Fred is an outstanding employee at this hotel and he took exceptional care of me during my stay. After an unpleasant night at a La Quinta and a very!! unclean room, I went onto hotwire.com to book a room (last minute) for the other 3 nights I was planning on being in Austin. After hotwire gave me the Holiday Inn- Austin Town Lake, I called the front desk to discuss my needing an early check in and to explain my horrible experience the day before the La Quinta. Fred answered and said that he could take care of my request and that I should drive on over. He not only let me check in early and was so welcoming BUT I was delighted to find he had given me an AMAZING lake view room. When I got to the room it exceeded my expectations! The room was immaculate and a fridge/microwave in EVERY room is such an added bonus! He had told me if anything didn't meet my expectations I was to call him and he would make it right. Of course, I was more than happy and the view was incredible (if I didn't have a conference to attend I would have sat looking at the view for most of the day). When my husband came to stay for the last day, Fred was again so very friendly and welcoming to him. The parking garage was free and very easy to access, and find a parking space. Everything about this hotel really impressed me (the running track along the lake 2 mins from the main door was an added bonus) and I definitely will stay here again in the future, and recommend it to others. If you stay here, take a short walk to Rainey Street to see all the interesting bars/restaurants. The customer service was outstanding (not only from Fred) and Fred is true gem employee of this establishment. I can't thank him enough for his excellent customer service and professionalism.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jennifer M
Thanks so much for your kind comments about our staff and especially Fred. He is a true asset to our operation.

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return the next time Austin is in your travel plans.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Close to Rainey st bars. Great location for walking around lake or renting a kayak out back. Our room was small, but cheaper compared to downtown. It Watson the water side, so no noise issues. Good value and front staff was very friendly. Free shuttle too.

Stayed August 2014
Thanks you for taking the time to relay your experience at our hotel.

When the founder of Holiday Inns saw our location, he too thought it would be a great place for a hotel and that was before the area developed into a prime entertainment district.

We’re proud to offer Austin visitors great value and hope to see you again soon
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Weekend family vacation in Austin; arrive late Friday night and was paying first night for Lake view and rewards point for second night; Shanna, in front desk was very helpful in getting us same room for both nights; she was very engaging and provided all the best places to go for a weekend trip; we took all her advice and having a fantastic time so far; we have some morning activities then drive home; only problem was that our room was not cleaned on Saturday but we did get fresh towels; that was not a problem for us; the beds were comfortable and front desk staff was very helpful; this will be our hotel in Austin for sure! The bike and hike trail was perfect to see bats at Congress Bridge and hotel is walking distance to rocking Rainey Street; forget sixth street!

Stayed August 2014
Thanks for the kind review and yes Shanna Rocks. She offers the kind of hospitality that we strive for with all our guests.

I’ll be sure to point out your housekeeping issues to our Executive Housekeeper and appreciate your patience but I’m glad we were able to make your stay a great one.

We’ll still be in the same spot for your next visit so some on back soon.