“Excellent place to stay.”

Holiday Inn Austin-Town Lake
Ranked #109 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent place to stay.”
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed three nights and enjoyed every minute of it. Rachel at the front desk was wonderful and helpful. Our room was nicely decorated, spotlessly cleaned every day and very quiet. We had a great view of the lake and really enjoyed sitting on the sofa and watching people boating and rowing. The restaurant was ok for a quick meal, not the greatest. The food from the bar was great, as were the drinks. Enjoyed the free popcorn in the lounge too. The people who seem to be complaining are the ones who booked discount rooms thru discount websites. Guess what? You get the crappier rooms with no view. Pony up and pay for the better room and view and enjoy yourself.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
UK
Reviewed 16 May 2010

this hotel is clean & the rooms are big, however it really is mid way between a Holiday Inn Express & an Holiday Inn in terms of the decor & the attitude of the staff, as well as the location.

It is a good 30 minute walk into the centre of Austin & whenever i asked the free shuttle was "busy". The only time i noticd anyone using the shuttle buses was airline staff being bought from & delivered to the airport, so it felt to me like the courtesy shuttle for the hotel was for the exclusive use of airline staff. The hotel staff bent over backwards to deal with said airline staff (lets face it they must be a good money spinner for the hotel) but whilst they were pleasant to me I did feel like i was using up their valuable time if i asked any questions!

the first room i was given overlooked the busy I35 so i asked to move to a room facing the lake which was much better.

for what you get for your money here & the mediocre attitudes id suggest that this is overpriced as a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I stayed here 2x. The first time was with my friend in September, and the second time was for business alone in April. Each time I booked this was through Hotwire where I believe I got each night for $65 plus tax. I was very happy with this hotel and would recommend it to other travels if you have a car with you. The mattress was firm and I loved the fact that there were firm pillows and soft pillows with labels on them. It was great that there was also a fridge and a microwave because I don't want to eat out for every meal. It was also cool how there was a movie room and a self serve popcorn machine. Parking is free and you can walk right on the lake because it's just behind the hotel. I stay here because of the location, value, and because it has an airport shuttle. The hotel bar was pretty popular and I have been there 3x during my stay here. Never been to the restaurant but I frequently saw it busy. I also like how there is a business center with 4 computers and a printer because I could print my boarding pass.

Cons of this place? Because of booking on Hotwire, you get the crappy rooms that are facing IH 35. I pretty much heard cars every night. I also found calling the front desk bizarre and would end up just calling them on my cell phone because I never got a connection when calling from the phone in the hotel.

With the location, the only thing really walking distance from it I would say is a gas station. My first night here I didn't get my rental car yet so I just got water and a snack from the gas station. You could also walk to the IHOP from here which is maybe a mile away. If you keep walking down the lake you will be in downtown. I would have done this, but it was so humid when I was there that I just did delivery instead.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
N. CA
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Writing this as I sit on bed during stay- place is that bad I felt the review couldn't wait. Rooms are small, some bodily fluid on drapes 2" from bed, TINY bathroom, carpet dirty and stained, pillow cases on both beds appeared dirty upon entry, dirty dishes not removed from outside room for entire afternoon, ice machine not working on our floor, loud traffic noises from our room, pool dirty (full of bugs). Redeeming qualities: free parking, lounge/bar area/restaurant on site (can't comment on drinks or food), mini-fridge & microwave,beautiful walking area next to river/lake, view from pool area very nice (as I'm sure they are if you're lucky enough to get a room on that side of the hotel). Got this hotel by a name your own price site and believe this may be the reason we were given a room overlooking the parking lot and interstate, on a low floor with no working ice machine. If you're broke and only plan on getting a not-so-good night's-rest, then stay here otherwise, pay the little bit more and stay downtown.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Virginia
Reviewed 24 February 2010

This is a completely adequate hotel. You'll be disappointed if you pay full price (use the name your own price option and offer about half). Although it has been remodeled, the carpets in hallways are dirty. The hotel is located on the lake, but keep in mind that half the rooms will face the parking lot - which mine did. Internet is available and free (although not secure) but do not fall victim to their advertising of a shuttle that will take you anywhere within two miles. Over a 4 day stay and several requests for the shuttle to UT campus, I was only able to use the shuttle once.... the attendant said that the shuttle was unavailable, yet it sat motionless and empty in the parkinglot right behind me as I asked. Be prepared to pay for a cab (which they will generously call for you..) It is not really close enough to walk to anything other than the lake. My sink had no hot water - despite being left running for almost 5 minutes - but the shower water was hot very quickly. This is an adequate hotel - not great, not bad, but under no circumstances should you pay full price.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Upstate SC
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We only stayed here one night but I know where we will stay next time we come to Austin. We could look out our window and see people jogging along the lake, people fishing and canoeing. Easy on and easy off of I-35.
Bed was so nice. Bathroom was excellent. Wireless internet was fast and efficient.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Midland Texas
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I had a great night at this hotel. The staff was excellent...front desk, bar, restaurant, and meeting staff. My room was the perfect temperature when I got there, and I did something here I rarely do in hotels...went right to sleep. The bed was very comfortable and I was very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was a little pricey but the potatoes were awesome...Great place to stay in Austin.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business