“Good Experience, But Not Really a 3.5-Star Property”

Wyndham Garden Austin
Ranked #55 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Berkeley, California
“Good Experience, But Not Really a 3.5-Star Property”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The Wyndham Garden Hotel would be a winner if it were a 3-star hotel. However, as a 3.5-star hotel, it’s much more average. It is clear that time, money, and effort have been invested in this hotel, though, so I will give it the benefit of the doubt with my rating.

I chose the Wyndham for my recent stay in Austin because hotels downtown and along South Congress were simply too expensive for 3 nights. I paid less than half as much to stay at this hotel, and I was able to invest my savings in a good time around town.

Hotel staff members were friendly, and the lobby and common areas were clean and nicely decorated in a musical theme. My fourth-floor room had been recently renovated and was well appointed. Highway noise was audible but not overwhelming. The only disappointment was the small bathroom, which noticeably lacked counter space and headroom.

The premises are comparable to any number of airport hotels. The pool is pleasant for its size, and the Jacuzzi is attractive and comfortable. Too bad almost no hotel guests utilized them during my stay. The fitness center is large but poorly equipped: While cardio machines and free weights are available, weight machines are completely absent.

The surrounding neighborhood is wholly unappealing, but it does not seem unsafe. A rental car is essential when staying at the Wyndham, so do make sure to stay elsewhere if you won’t have one on hand. The hotel offers free parking and free Wi-Fi, and breakfast is available for an additional charge.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
CKokoAUSWC, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Austin, responded to this review, 6 November 2011
Dear Davdaven,
Thank you for your review of our property. I appreciate your honesty and your attention to detail. I enjoyed your photographs as well. Your comments are accurate regarding our location. Since we are not right in the heart of downtown we are able to offer some great rates. We look forward to seeing you here again soon.
BeWell
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
New Bedford, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This was my first time at the Wyndham and I was quite pleased! I had read bad reviews on this hotel and was quite concerned about my stay there. I had stayed at various hotels in Austin and have not had any bad experiences. This hotel was no exception! The staff was wonderful and very friendly. The room was perfect and the bathroom was designed to be size efficient.The room was cleaned and items replenished in a timely manner. The staff at the front desk is what caught my attention. They were very helpful and engaged in witty conversation. The tv in the room had the ability for me to plug in my Ipod and listen to my music. I would without hesitation recommend this hotel for any and all.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Austin Downtown area.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Joe N
Thank you very much for your detailed review of the Wyndham Garden Hotel Austin. I posted a copy of your review in our employee breakroom to share with the staff. Our housekeeping and front desk staff especially want to thank you for your lovely words. We do our best to keep up a lively conversation with our customers and each other to make certain that you are entertained. It's great to hear that it is noticed. Thanks again. Hope to see you soon.
BeWell
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I liked the modern decor and the ample table-top space in my room to put all of my stuff. Internet in my room was fine. Banquet food was average. The processing speed of the computers down in the "business center" (really two restaurant-type booths with terminals) was TERRIBLE. Somebody take a look at that please. Add some RAM or get new computers. New terminals would cost less than $400 each, and you could shop local with Dell! True it's a bit far from downtown (about 5 miles), but it's convenient to the airport. I did encounter a roach in my room, but only one and I know it's hard to keep all bugs out of a property that big.

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for reviewing our property. We appreciate your comments. We are currently working on upgrading our business center computers in the lobby. I've shared your comments with our banquets and engineering staff, as well as our general manager. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Mesquite, Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Wyndham Hotel twice recently and really enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our hotel room was very clean and had a great view of the downtown Austin area. Housekeeping did a great job of changing our sheets and cleaning our rooms each day. One evening, we were so tired from traveling that we dined in the restaurant there, and the service was really good and the food was excellent. If you plan to frequent downtown Austin or South Austin, it's also a short commute. We will definitely be coming back. We've had several bad experiences with hotels in Austin lately, so this one was a breath of fresh air.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the downtown skyline...beautiful at night.
1 Thank K0031
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave everyone at the Wyndham Garden Austin your great review. It was, to use your words, a breath of fresh air. We look forward to your next visit.
Brenham Texas
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My husband and I were very impressed with the new design and cleanliness of the room. We loved the long counter with plenty of room for computers, bags, and belongings. Loved the European style shower, red refrigerator, large flatscreen and comfortable chair. We are innkeepers and were there for our annual conference and it could not have been better. The meeting space and banquet rooms were so convenient and always clean and ready for each seminar. Best of all was the very friendly and accommodating staff! The General Manager, Anthony even made sure our very large group was properly taken care of even though we did not have advance dinner reservations. My husband and I will stay there on our next leisure trip because of it's convenient location near Hwy. 71 and I 35.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your lovely review of our property. I'll be sure to show your comments to Anthony, our general manager. I know they'll make his day. He is always ready to lend a hand wherever it's needed and it means a lot that you took time to mention him in your review. We look forward to seeing you and your family on your next trip to Austin.
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed at the Wyndham one night with my husband and my dog. The hotel is pet friendly and the pet fee is only $35, which was much more reasonable than many other hotels we called.
We were upgraded to a suite, I'm really not sure why. We paid less than $100 and the room was huge. It had two entrances. One led to the pool and the other to the parking lot. We basically had two rooms: a bedroom and a living room with a couch, fridge, tv, microwave, and sink. We couldn't really ask for more, especially considering what we paid.
The reasons I say it was not perfect include a towel with a couple of stains and blinds that did not completely close. There were two large windows right next to the bed. The blinds didn't close all the way so we had to duck tape them shut so that you couldn't see into the bedroom. We never complained because we happened to have duck tape with us and we were only there one night.
We would stay there again!!!

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you so much for posting your nice review and the great photos of the Wyndham Garden Hotel. I appreciate your attention to detail. I have had our engineering team address the broken blinds in the suite you stayed in. Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention. We also have a new housekeeping manager that is super dedicated to making your stay the cleanest most comfortable stay possible so the towel issue should not be repeated. We look forward to seeing you and your pet again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Nice hotel, quiet, clean and comfortable, but a bit far from Downtown. Our room was at the end of a hall, so we didn't have passing traffic, but it also meant that trays, etc, stayed outside the doors for the longest time. Room service was fine, as were our coffee-shop breakfasts. Free internet connection was good.
Two minuses. Turning the shower on was a diabolically difficult operation, requiring a call to the desk. And there was no kettle in the room to make a cup of tea. A coffee maker, yes, but kettle, no.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on this website. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry the shower was not easier to operate. We do have the coffee makers in the rooms that can brew hot water if you don't place a coffee pod in them or you can call the desk and we can send hot water up for you since we do not have tea kettles. I hope this is an acceptable alternative. I look forward to seeing you again soon.