“You dont need to come from Texas to like this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Esther's Follies

Esther's Follies
Ranked #1 of 37 Concerts & Shows in Austin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“You dont need to come from Texas to like this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We went on a friday evening on the earlier show. And around two outs later we stumbled onto 6th street, our cheeks hurting from laughing! Now we both come from Europe (scandinavia), and we are no news junkies but we still could enjoy the show.
Sure there are political jokes and even some local jokes about Austin politics, but they were simple to understand and maybe we missed a couple of things but we were none the worse for it.
A high tempo show, perfect to set the mood for some barcrawling on 6th street, or simply just to enjoy by itself. Well worth the money, a must do if you are in Austin for a weekend!

Austin, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Shannon's place - like forever :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I played keyboards here jeez, the 80's I guess. met Shannon the owner, and played in other clubs of hers, too. great lady, and this is an Austin Heritage of humor, what makes "Austin - weird" - and Great!

Visited July 2014
Mobile,AL
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 253 helpful votes
“Spot On Political Satire in an Entertaining Package”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Esther's Follies is a hoot!! Our group opted to get General Admission tickets and we arrived 30 minutes before show time for the early show on a Saturday night earlier this month and got great seats. The staff at Esther's Follies were welcoming and most helpful before, during and after the performance we attended. We were told that a new sound system had just been put in and we had no problems at all hearing the performers. The "Window Onto 6th Street" is much more than a gimmick and adds much to the enjoyment of the show. I am not from Texas but I still enjoyed the political satire that was was critical of all sides in an "equal opportunity"(and usually tasteful!) manner. One needs to know that the featured performer(Ray Anderson) is a comedic illusionist and that a significant portion of the 90 minutes is not straight up political satire. One also should not be surprised that the language and content is not always PG-13 so don't plan to go to Esther's Follies if you are easily offended by the lack of political correctness.

Visited July 2014
Sammo50
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“No Folly at Esther's Follies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

After reading the glowing reviews, I was still hesitant. Firstly, I don't like magic and I don't love comedy shows(I feel forced to laugh) so I was skeptical that I would enjoy the show, as many reviewers stated they loved the magic. Nonetheless, something in the passionate reviews convinced me to go and I booked our tickets and we showed up thinking we had reserved seating. Well, I made an error and booked us for the following Saturday night when we would not be in town. The staff could not have been more gracious(blaming their website not my error when clearly it was my error!) and found us two seats that were perfect. They were so kind and kept checking in with us to make sure we thought the seats were perfect. The show was beyond funny, I laughed the entire 90 minutes. And much to my surprise I agree with all of the other reviewers the magic was my favorite part!!!
The show is so current they must rewrite their songs and dialogue every two weeks! You have to to go you must! must! must! go and don't be put off by the general admission seating you will get a good seat! it is a small venue and all of the seats looked great!

2 Thank Sammo50
Austin, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Funny, entertaining, and unique!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Esther's Follies never disappoints! It is a great place for an entertaining and eclectic look at Austin and the nation. Such a variety of acts, and you are never bored! A must go!

Visited December 2013