“Not wowed but certainly an OK place to stay”

Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #62 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Not wowed but certainly an OK place to stay”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Shared lobby and overall vibe are a bit odd. Attached chain restaurant food turned out to be better than I expected. Staff and service were great. Very close to the convention center and other attractions. But there are other hotels in the area with a bit more ambiance that are close to things and in the same price range.

• Stayed October 2013
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Debbie,
Thank you for taking time to post your review. We strive to WOW all of our guests and thank you for letting us know that we did not meet your expectations. We will continue to work hard to provide the service that we have become known for in downtown Austin. I look forward to your return so our associates can show you their genuine care! Thank you for staying with us! Happy Holidays

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The Courtyard in Downtown Austin sits diagonally across the street from the convention center. It could not be more convenient if that's where your business is and the intervening intersection is stop signs (not lights), so you can get there in under a minute. Now, if you're going elsewhere in downtown Austin, you can probably walk there from the Courtyard in 5-10 minutes easily.

The property itself is "married" to a Residence Inn -- same building, but two distinct properties giving you access to the amenities of both. The Courtyard has the Starbucks and the restaurant on property, while the Residence Inn has the exercise room, the pool, and some great hidden sitting/working areas in its lobby.

On the Courtyard side, which is where I stayed, the rooms were very nice. One of the most comfortable beds I've had in recent memory, good working area, and speedy internet. Having the Starbucks is convenient. The restaurant on property is a buffet for breakfast and, I think, lunch. It's a sports bar the rest of the day. It's not bad, but not stellar either -- standard tank-filling fare for the morning.

What made the property stand out was the staff. My check in process took seconds and they were standing there waiting on me (or anyone) when I arrived. I needed to delay my check out and they happily accommodated. When I asked about the breakfast options that Marriott Elite Rewards members get, they provided some breakfast vouchers.

When I go back to Austin, this is where I'm staying.

Room Tip: Tip: If you're looking for lobby working/meeting space, walk over to the Residence Inn side. The...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Rabbit,
Thank you for staying with us while in Austin and for taking time to post your review. I am please that you were able to experience our amazing associates. They work hard each and every day to ensure our guests feel at home and are able to maintain their routine when staying at our hotels.
Thank you again and we look forward to hosting in the future.
Texas
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed there because it was a short walk to 6th St. to go out for Mardi Gras, and that worked out well.
The young lady who checked us in acted like we were inconveniencing her, and she told us nothing except how to get to our room. We had to ask her about the parking, the breakfast, etc.
Other than that, it was a good stay, with a nice room in a good location.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tex s
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Texa s,
Thank you for posting your review from your Mardi Gras Weekend earlier this year. Since your last visit we have worked hard on our arrival and do take time to walk each guest to the elevator while explaining some of the features of the hotel. While we cannot get all the amenities into that short walk we will always be available to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward for you next visit so we can show you some changes.
Boston MA
Reviewed 28 November 2013

coffe maker surrounded by food particles from last guest's breakfast and iron rusted out so shirt ruined all make me wonder if housekeeping is something you have to request at check-in. Won't be staying here again,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
EdouardBostonMA,
Thank you so much for taking time to let me know about the poor housekeeping service you received with you were staying with us. I have taken time this week to work with the housekeeping team to ensure they are not missing any steps while servicing rooms. Also, we have worked on our inspection process to ensure our inspectors are teaching and guiding the housekeeping team and helping them to execute perfect rooms every day. Thank you again and I do hope you give us another try when you are in town.
Reviewed 22 November 2013

After weeks of tiring travelling, I had a few nights in this hotel and it was bliss! Great location, staff and rooms. The indoor pool and spa were a welcome bonus and the breakfast was fantastic! Highly recommended

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
redsox-wanderer,
Thank you very much for taking time to post your review about your recent down time at our hotel. We are all very pleased you were able to get some R&R from your hectic traveling and enjoy Austin and the amenities at the hotel. When you are ready to get some more needed rest just give a call so we can help you plan you next trip. Thank you for staying with us! See you soon.
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Conveniently located to Convention Center! AwEsOmE, helpful & friendly staff! Rooms were exceptionally clean & stocked! Starbucks close by. Restaurant & bar in lobby as well. We will definitely book our next stay here.

• Stayed November 2013
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
AngelaRamos,
Thank you so much for your kind words about our AmAzIng associates! They work hard each and every day to make our guest comfortable and at home. Also, thank you for choosing our hotel for your trip to Austin we look forward to your next visit! Until next time, enjoy your travels.
Twinsburg, Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2013

What separates this Courtyard from the others? The staff. When I arrived for my conference (5 days), I remembered how much I was paying for the room (all hotels in this area are overpriced during convention weeks) I thought to myself that 5 days hence I was going to be writing a rather bland review. I think most Courtyard Hotels deliver the same standard room and services (although the restaurant attached was excellent) -- so there were no surprises here. And any property is beholden to the surroundings for esthetics (as noted in a recent review of this hotel, I too was facing a rather 1 star view, but every hotel in the area would have this problem as well). But the room thermostat worked perfectly and heated and cooled quickly (it was a time of the year where heat and cooling were needed), the internet speed was great and the bathroom sparkled with a shower that delivered a powerful stream of water. The staff was terrific. In general I expect a nice greeting upon arrival (when my platinum status shows up) but after that the staff would not know me from any other customer. When they were not behind the desk helping customers, they were in front of the desk and were greeters. We had some Halloween pranksters that pulled the fire alarm, and the staff handled it perfectly at the time of the event (about 3 in the morning). Upon checkout when I mentioned this event (when I was asked if I had a perfect stay), I was awarded extra points as an apology. The location is perfect --- a 90 second walk from the convention center or larger Hilton Hotel, the light rail or the $1 airport bus. (I wish I knew that when I took at $40 taxi ride from the airport). It is a about a 3-5 minute walk to 6th street (music and bars).

I do have one issue that I think all the hotels and the city needs to deal with. In order to get to the convention center or Hilton, again 90 seconds by foot, you need to walk past a small park. There were people sitting on the bench that seemed to take turns (politely) approaching a passerby asking if they could have a few words...... for the purpose of soliciting money (begging). Despite the fact the solicitors were polite it was unnerving and unwelcoming. My guess is the businesses in this area and convention center officials need to get the police to clear this area of this type of activity. What does it say about a convention center if the visitors have to deal with this???? I hope this comment urges the city to take care of this problem (yeah right) but I would trade an eyesore city for this type of threatening behavior.

In summary -- a standard Courtyard room and amenities, fairly priced for the area (but overpriced --- this is not Times Square), with a great staff.

Room Tip: I do not know what the view is looking out towards the front of the other sides, but the view lookin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Bruce C,
Thank you very much for all of your kind words. This team works hard every day to make each guest feel welcomed. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we sure hope to have the pleasure to entertain in the future.