“Fantastic Location for Downtown Austin”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #61 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Excellent location for 6th Street and downtown Austin. Rooms were very clean and well equipped, however they are quite compact - four of us in a two bedroom suite was a bit of squeeze.

Really friendly staff and we had a very quick check-in.

Stayed on a Friday night and was awoken by alot of street noise in the middle of the night but that wouldn't put me off staying again here as the location is so good. We had no issues with noise inside the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Lots of business travel--constant in fact--but Austin's Courtyard or Residence Inn is tops. It starts with a GREAT front desk staff--always cheerful and pleasant--smiles all around and lots of personality. What's not to be cheerful and pleasant about anyway--hell, it's Austin!! The rooms are like most others--but refreshingly clean and crisp. The location is great--it's close to almost anything and Eddie V's is a few steps away. But the rest of downtown is close enough for a quick walk or a jog. My first choice staying downtown is the Residence (I stay on the Courtyard side) because the staff is friendly and makes you feel like "you're home again".

Room Tip: Rooms toward the front of the property are south-west facing. The rooms in the "back" ove...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Mike_Adventure
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Mike,

Welcome Home...When your on the road as many night a year as many of our business clients there is no better feeling than that friendly smile and greeting when you arrive...we always want to have a member of our team in the lobby making our guest feel comfortable whether they are heading out for early meetings or returning from a great dinner in Austin. Thank you for sharing your comments about our team they will surely enjoy hearing your words.

See you on your next visit to Austin.

The Front Desk Team!

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Yes, traveling, yes with family, and this time with babies going to a wedding. We needed a clean, quiet, helpful place to stay with a little more space than you get in some of those other places. We chose Marriott Residence Inn, downtown. From checking in with the friendly staff at the desk, Sonnie and Kate, to many others, everyone was as friendly as the Ritz where we last stayed. Yes the price was a lot less, less bling, and more just good ole regular people.
My kids swam, I used the exercise facility, and the breakfasts were very nice. Something was available for all. Even the manager's reception was nice.
Parking was a little of a hassle, but it was over Halloween, so the place was packed! However, I heard very little outside noise, and the management was great about preventing any problem within the facility.
Great location, Austin is a great walking town, and will stay here again when I return.

Room Tip: a bit higher to avoid street noise, and on east side of hotel to avoid evening heat in summer
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Musedoc,

We certainly enjoyed the oppertunity to entertain you and your family over the weekend. (it was my first halloween in Austin, WOW) Personally, it was a pleasure to meet the entire family at breakfast and I also enjoyed my early morning coversation with Grandpa.

See you next time you visit us in Austin.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Nice big room. Buffet breakfast at Champions was good. Dogs are allowed but there is a $100 pet sanitation fee that is nonrefundable. Walking distance to everything downtown. Staff is friendly and helpful. There is a "No-Party" policy that is prominently displayed when you walk in so no loud/late visitors.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This hotel takes it's customers rest seriously. On the weekend there are signs up requesting that all guest be mindful of other guests staying at the location. The sign asked that the party remain outside the hotel. The signs worked. Even though we were in downtown Austin close to 6th street, our room was quiet and restful. We loved it!

The breakfast at this hotel is amazing and included in the price of the room. The food was really good.

The room itself was clean and very comfortable. Lots of room; very comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Request a room away from 6th street.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

BV

Thank you for your review and for pointing out some of our teams big focus points. We are in the sleep business and while we know people come to Austin to enjoy all that 6th Street has to offer we want the party to stay on 6th Street so everyone else can get a nights rest.

I just got Chef Jeff's December breakfast menu first draft and I will be torn between the Longhorn Breakfast Tacos and the Banana Pecan Pancakes! Let's try them on your next vist!

David

Reviewed 24 October 2011

I've been traveling almost every week to Austin this year for business, and have been staying at the Residence Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center for the past 10 months.

The hotel is clean and well kept, the location is perfect, and the staff friendly and cordial.

A special mention for Shellie who works at the champions restaurant, and Tatiana who works at the front desk for being very professional and friendly at all times.

Cheers !

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Raj,

It has been our pleasure to have you as one of our long term residents here in Austin. Kudos to you for mentioning the two associates that have help make Austin a Home away from Home. Thank you!
We are going to keep on working to improve all aspects of our hotel for you and future guests and cannot wait to show off our new look after our total hotel renovations in April.

Thank you again for all of your business Raj.

Cheers,
David

Reviewed 20 September 2011

This hotel is in a great location with excellent front desk staff - I was often greeted by name, which was a very nice touch. The rooms are nice enough - nothing special. As the hotel is fairly new, the rooms still look fairly new and were clean.

My second night at the hotel, the room did not get serviced. The person I spoke with to complain was mildly apathetic and asked if there was anything I needed to "hold me over" - no offer to pass along the word to the manager. No offer to find someone in housekeeping to clean my room.

Moreover, I dropped off dry cleaning on Saturday morning to be returned on Sunday. Apparently, my laundry was never submitted for cleaning. By the time the problem had been identified, nothing could be done to fix the it other than returning my bag of dirty clothes to me. As a result, I had to go to a meeting in jeans and a polo shirt the following day - incredibly disappointing service.

When I checked in, there was a very large sign (huge) warning of a "No Party Policy". This is not what you generally want to see when you are checking in to a room where you are paying $300 a night. I understand that it was a big weekend in Austin (many are) but this doesn't seem classy or appropriate. Why not hand people a flyer or put a note in everyone's room?

All in, its a nice enough hotel, with good front desk staff. If you are looking for anything more than a place to sleep after going out downtown, I would suggest looking elsewhere. There are many other options in downtown Austin that will provide a more upscale service experience for almost the same cost.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank EWR2AUS
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2011

EWR2AUS

Thank you for your letting us know about your most recent stay at the hotel. I want to extend my sincere appology for the lack of service you recieved durring your visit. We take pride in our level of service and look to personally connect with every guest. When we drop the ball, like we did durring your visit, we step back and look to eliminate barriers preventing service excellence. We have updated our laundry process to better record and track timing of incomming and outgoing laundry. We also have a houskeeper in the evenings to immediatly assist guests in the event service is required later in the evening.

Thank you again for staying with us. We do look forward to making a improved impression on your next visit.

Residence Inn Austin Downtown Management Team