“Thoroughly enjoyed our stay on New Year's Eve”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #61 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Residence in for New Year's Eve. We went to see Willie Nelson and wanted to stay downtown after the show. We really enjoyed our stay! The room was great and the rooftop terrace was incredible!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

Looking forward to ringing in 2013 with you next year!

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed at the Residence Inn Austin for 4 nights during SXSW 2012.

Check in was a breeze. Even though the hotel was at capacity during my stay, I was able to get my room even though I was several hours early for check in.

Room was spacious, clean and well appointed. Staff was super helpful and always friendly.

The location is what puts everything over the top. Only 2 blocks from the 6th street action. Also, 2 blocks makes a world of difference regarding noise (it is still noisy in the area but not as bad as being right on 6th).

I am not sure I could be any more satisfied with this place. I will attempt to get it for SXSW next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

discjoker,
Thank you for enjoying SXSW with the Residence Inn Marriott Downtown Austin! We are always looking to be the friendliest hotel in Austin and try all measures to ensure the fun and music from 6th Street are minimal. We do have white noise fans and other items available to help with the noise on 6th. Also, we will be installing a noise reducing black out curtain in our rooms starting in April.

See you next year!

Reviewed 9 March 2012

The hotel was very clean, both the rooms and common areas. It is typical of all Residence Inns with a separate kitchen, sitting area with the bed, closet and bathroom around the corner.

The free breakfast is offered every day and was really good. Tuesday thru Thursday evening there is free wine or beer and appetizers. Valet parking is $27 and self parking is $21.

The location could not be better. It is two short blocks from the center of the 6th street nightlife area. There is a CVS pharmacy on 5th and Congress, about 3 blocks from the hotel.

I took the bus from the airport for $1.00. It drops you right at the corner of 4th and Trinity across the street from the hotel. There was a luggage rack on the bus and it was not that crowded anyway. At 4pm with some rush hour traffic it took 25 minutes from the airport to the hotel. Buses run every half hour. I also used buses to get to South Congress and to the LBJ library.

I really liked the Iron Cactus Mexican Grill on 6th and Trinity. They have outside tables on the 2nd floor. Dinner prices range from about $10 to $15. We also liked the deck at the Cedar Door at 2nd and Brazos, a nice place for a drink. For a splurge go into the bar at the Hotel Driskill on 6th street.

If you have some time in the afternoon visit the O Henry House and Dickinson House on 5th north of Trinity right around the corner from the hotel. They are free and the docents will talk as long as you care to listen about the history of the houses and people who resided there.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms have a view of 6th street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank przyk
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

przyk,
Thakn you for such and informative review. We are pleased you were able to enjoy our hotel and associates. Your other comment are spot on and will be a great read for many coming to Austin for the first time.

Thank you!

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Room quoted was not what we were given. Full beds, not queen. I also noted a peculiar smell when we went to bed, but, woke up covered in red bumps! We were not informed of any free breakfast until check out!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Karen,
I know we discussed your recent visit over the phone after you departed. I sounded like your allergies and bumps were getting much better. All of our Residence Inn room are outfitted with Queen beds only. Unfortunalty we do not offer Full or King beds at the Residence Inn.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We always stay at this Downtown Residence Inn when we visit Austin. Every single time the staff have gone above and beyond to make our stay pleasant. The rooms are always clean and well-maintained, as is the rest of the hotel. The only drawback is that the bedroom curtains don't block out all of downtown Austin's lights, but that's to be expected anywhere downtown. The morning breakfasts and evening managers' specials seal the deal. The hotel is just a short walk from the 6th Street bar/restaurant scene, and also right next to the Convention Center. Just an example of how helpful and polite the staff are: on our last visit my husband came down with a terrible stomach flu. First thing in the morning, I was quite frazzled and exhausted, but the staff calmly provided directions to the nearest and best hospital, allowed me to bring the car up to the valet turnaround to put my husband in, and helped me load the car without making a scene, causing embarassment, or asking questions. We'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were in Austin for the marathon, so the addition of a kitchen was very convenient. The room was great, the breakfast that was included was really good. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

Thank you for comparing us to your home! That is what we strive to provide to each of our guests at the Residence Inn. Check back in a few months to discover our completly renovated lobby and rooms!

Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed here this past weekend with some friends. The hotel is very nice and clean. The front desk manager was very helpful. It was my first time in Austin and she mapped out all the places for me to visit on 6th Street (which is only 2 blocks away). I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Travellers also viewed these Austin hotels
Courtyard by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
The Westin Austin Downtown
Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown
Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown
Hilton Austin
Hilton Austin
#26 of 201 in Austin

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!