“Nice Place for Business, also Close to Fun!”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #45 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Nice Place for Business, also Close to Fun!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Although I live in Austin, I had a corporate retreat here last week. The room was nicely appointed, comfortable, and had everything I needed. The lobby has a great area to plug in your laptop and free Wi-Fi made working from the lobby easy. The hotel is a block away from one of my favorite restaurants, Eddie V's. Staff is helpful...can't think of a negative although I wish the bar in the lobby was less of a sports bar. With so many places within walking distance, though, it is even tough to complain about that!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
JDKAC,

Thank you so much for posting your review of you recent business 'trip'. For future visitors to Austin please take JDKAC's advice and visit Eddy V's Steak House located right behind the hotel. You can thank him later! JDKAC, thank you so much.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here over Labor Day Weekend, which was also UT's opening weekend of football. Hotel staff was excellent, always greeting you upon entering and asking if they could help you with anything. Hotel has a no-party policy, which kept the hotel quiet at night even though Austin itself is a loud, party city. Valet was $29 per day and was very quick at pulling our car up. Room was new (or newly renovated), very clean and pretty big, with a very large sofa for lounging. Residence Inn also comes with free breakfast, which I believe is not free at the Courtyard by Marriott. The Residence and Courtyard occupy the same building and appear to both be great places to stay. Location is perfect for access to Town Lake/River, 6th Street, Capital, Rainey Street, etc. We will return upon our next trip to Austin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
DaveA10,
We all appreciate your business and thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We will continue to do our best to keep the hotel as a place where you can escape the energy of the 'Live Music Capital.' As you mention breakfast is included in the room rate at the Residence Inn. At the Courtyard by Marriott you would have a choice to book a room or a room with breakfast. Thank you again. Safe travels.
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is a late entry as my stay at the Residence Inn was back in the middle of May for a nursing conference. From the time my friend and I arrived to the hotel we were greeted by the manager who gave us tips about the "in's and outs of the city" which was very helpful. We had an issue with the AC in our room making a loud noise and the maintenance crew was right there to fix the unit. The desk help was very friendly, Milyeon and Suzy keep up the great work! The manager of the hotel should be proud of his team and I'm sorry I forgot your name as your establishment is well run!!! The complimentary breakfast @ Champions was delicious and what a wide range of foods to select from!! Great buffet and the waitress Katie is such a hard worker and very efficient!! Murant, the Champions manager great restaurant. Wish your restaurant was here in NH!! We miss you all already!!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong at the Residence Inn in downtown Austin. Full size kitchen, with appliances and...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Residence Inn Associates at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Beachgirl2056,

THANK YOU! We had a great time getting you know you during your time in Austin. We look forward to seeing you for your next conference!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I've always liked Residence Inns as I travel a lot with my family. This Residence Inn will come across as smaller than most but you have to remember that you are right in downtown, walking distance to great restaurants, the Children's museum and the lake. You are able to walk to the Capital Metro train station as well but it doesn't go anywhere useful other than downtown.

Some of the good:
1) Good responsive personnel
2) Fantastic location
3) Good breakfast (by free breakfast standard) served at the Champions bar.
4) Nice gym and indoor pool

Some of the lows:
1) Bed is creaky and not the most comfortable I have slept on in a Marriott
2) Parking is $23 per night

This is a nice hotel that I would keep coming back to for its great location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KennyKon
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
KennyKon,

On behalf of all the associate at the hotel Thank you for both your business and your review. You are correct, the best of Austin is just a short walk away from our front door. Any one of our associates will be happy to assist in finding great activities to fit any family or personality. We hope we get the chance to play host the next time you visit Austin. Thank you!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The staff was extremely accommodating for our stay in downtown Austin even though I had made a mistake with the double-booking through expedia, they were efficient and kind in fixing my error to make sure I wasn't charged twice. When I left an item there, they were quick and thorough to make sure that it was shipped to my home. Thanks Jarda! This place is so close to 6th street and Rainey Street. Perfect stay for my husband and I!! Stop looking, this is the place to stay!

1 Thank Amy B
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Amy B,
First thank you for staying with us when you visit Austin. Second, thank you so very much for celebrating the dedication and genuine care our associates share with their guests every day. Hotels are so much more than just beds, they thrive on the smiles and can do spirit of each associate! Thank you so much!
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights leaving on 25th July. The saff were unfailingly polite and helpful at all levels. Breakfast (free) was awesome and you would be hard pressed to beat it in any other hotel, and I have stayed in many all over the world. This hotel is a gem that is very well located for all that you want to see and do in Austin, especially the fun of 6th Street.I was trying to think what the Marriott Residence Inn had to set it above most of the others and then it suddenly dawned on me. The general manager was conspicuos by his presence on the floor from early morning into the evening. Meeting ,greeting and making guests fell welcome and valued. In my experience this is rare and I know that such leadership brings out the best in all of the other staff who were always polite and helpful. All things considered the Marriott Residence Inn is a really good place to stay in Downtown Austin. A lot of the credit for this falls, at least on my observations, to the leadership of Mr David Malmberg. Keep it up David, based on my personal experience of your hotel you are running a very impressive operation

RJK010,
It was my pleasure to get to meet you during your visit to Austin. The genuine care that our associates display allows me the time to get to know every guest I possibly can, and they don't really let me do much else in fear that I may goof something up! Again, it was my pleasure to host you at our hotel and we all look forward to having you and the Mrs. visit us in the future.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
David
North Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We came to Austin with no where to lay our heads. We entered the lobby and it was clean and updated. The staff at the front desk was friendly and quick. The young lady did forget to give us directions to our room, which ends up being a blessing later. We parked in their underground parking garage (There is valet available.) First, I will say the rooms are clean and spacious. The rooms at the Residence Inn are equipped with a lot of features you would find at home (Couch, refrigerator, toaster and coffee pot.) It was quiet on the second floor of the building and the pool was down the hall from our room. The gym is nice and the pool area was clean. There are too many restaurants within walking distance to list. It's downtown Austin..so there is plenty. I want to finish with an encounter we had with one of the staff at the hotel. When you enter into the building from the parking garage its two separate hotels, Courtyard Marriott and Residence Inn. We ended up selecting the wrong building(Courtyard Marriott), but ran into some helpful staff. The gentleman (David) accompanying the young lady who was initially helping us, persisted that he assist us with our luggage, hanging clothes and getting our doors. We explained to David that we were lost and he chose to take us to our room. He could have explained the directions to the room but he went the extra mile and not only helped with our luggage but made sure we made it to the correct building (Residence Inn.) We told him about our weekend getaway which involved an escape from the children to celebrate our anniversary. After locating our room, I introduced myself and inquired about David who told me he was the General Manager of the hotel. We left out later to go out to eat and returned to find a iced bottle of champagne and a card left in our room. Good job Marriott staff!

Everything rises and falls on leadership- John Maxwell

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
MarriottAustinDT, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
John,
I am very proud our team could be part of a special weekend in Austin. Thank you for staying with us and Happy Anniversary!
David