“Great hotel and location”

Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

For business I exclusively stay at Marriot properties, and I now prefer the Residence Inn over all other reasonably priced properties - this location is a great example. The service was incredible, the complimentary breakfast was well above average, they had a 'social hour' with free drinks/apps, and the location was directly in the middle of Downtown. The only negative is the essentially mandatory valet parking for $30.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Justin,
On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel. Your business is extremely important to us and I am personally proud that our associates helped make your trip to Austin enjoyable. We do offer slightly more breakfast options that the typical Residence Inn but you will find the same social hour in all of the brands hotels. As with every top 10 city in the country parking is very limited and ranges from $65 in NYC and Chicago to $24 for self parking and $30 for valet service here in Austin. Thank you for taking time to post your review, we look forward to entertaining in the future!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Residence Inn Austin Tx downtown ( Marriott). Nice hotel~ I valet parked the first night for $28~ but I told the front desk I would self-park the rest of the time. I did self-park the next 2 days but on my bill I was still charged the valet price for all 3 days. so check your bill folks.

The hotel had the elevators fixed so you can only go to your floor, example ~ if you are on the second floor, you must swipe your room key for the elevator to move and then it would only go to the second floor. That would keep people from roaming the hall ways, but it also keeps you from going to the other floors where family and friends may be. But in all it is good for safety.

The Residence Inn side of the hotel did not have a swimming pool, however the Courtyard Marriott did have a pool that could be used by the Residence Inn side. The pool is indoors and small, the exercise room is on one side of the room, and then the smoking patio is on the other side. So the small indoor pool is sandwiched between to glass walls. I am not a indoor pool fan. The Hilton next door had a great outdoor pool. Yet the Hilton cost a little more.

Our room did not have a refrigerator or a microwave. We called the front desk and made a request for a refrigerator, which was delivered to our room in just minutes!

There was a Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel, And I did order room service on night. I ordered a hamburger and it was delivered in a timely manner, however for $23, it was NOT a great burger. More like a walmart patty on a bun.

The major drag for the ROT Rally is on 6th street and the Residence Inn is on 4th street, so it was just a short walk, or short bike ride for my ole man. yet it is far enough away, that I barely could hear the bikes running up and down the street all night.

I enjoyed the hotel for the most part. Staff was very friendly and on checking in they gave me two rubber duckies that were dressed like bikers! ha! cute!... for the ROT Rally next year, we may stay here again. We had fun!

We were in Austin for the ROT Rally (republic of Texas). Most of the bikes and sights for the ROT Rally is on 6th street. The Residence Inn Marriott is located on 4th street, so it was a short walk to all the action.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Fannin9,
Thank you for staying with us for the 25th ROT Rally. We are the closest hotel to the ROT Rally hot spots and downtown parade route as well as the best dining and activities in Austin. I am glad you liked out biker ducks, they are an annual hit! My apologies for the confusion with the elevator. The elevators do require registered keys to access the guest room floors but guests are able to reach other floors in the hotel so they can meet up with their friends and family and not just he floor they are assigned.
Thank you again for staying with us. We all look forward to you adding to your ROT Rally Rubber Ducky collection next year!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Nice RI.

Great staff and very attentive.
They share a building with a Courtyard
They have a large bar/restaurant in the CY which we used for breakfast and had a few drinks in the evening.

This place is centrally located so you can walk to most places

Austin wasn't for us. But the RI was great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunnski
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

sunnskim
I am happy that our hotel was a highlight in your trip. We are right in the center of all of the culture and entertainment and our associates are always available to help your find some the best in the city. Thank you for staying with us. If you do make it back to town we will be here ready to help you make the best of your time.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I attended RTX in Austin, TX for the third year in a row, but this year I decided to fly down a few days early and the Residence was a much better choice than Courtyard. Full kitchen, stream-worthy internet, and housekeeping that does the dishes. The staff were always around to answer my inane random questions and it is so close to Sixth street and the Austin Concention Center. Perfect!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Maria,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for another year of Rooster Teeth. We had a great weekend with all of the attendees and cannot wait until next year for one of our teams favorite weeks of the year. I am sure a lot will change in downtown Austin before your next visit so be sure to let us help you maximize your trip! Thank you again and safe travels.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 weeks from May into early June on business. As this is on business I cannot comment on whether this was value for money as I did not pay. However, I must say the stay was exceptional!

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location (on 4th West and Trinity) so you are a real short walk from West 6th and a 2 minute walk in the other direction to 4th and Congress. The room was huge and had a kitchen area, huge lounge and massive wardrobe along with bathroom area. The Breakfast every morning was served down in Champions Sports Bar and Grill and really did go all out with a huge selection of food. Free WIFI in the rooms along with the lobby and some great staff that really do go above and beyond to make sure you are catered for!

I would fully recommend this place to anyone travelling to Austin.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

colonel14,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your review and for your kind words about our amazing associates. They are the heart beat of our hotels and being able to read your words will keep the energy moving! Thank you.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The staff here is quite friendly and professional. I spotted the supervisors doing regular checks to see everything went well and getting constant feedback from customers.
Like pointed out on the other review here, the corner rooms have a great view of the city and its sky scrapers.
However, there were some unclean utensils in the closet from the time I checked in and went unchecked until I used it later in the week. It was quite a time consuming affair to get those cleaned up finally. A tap in the bathroom wasn't functioning fine either. Couldn't report it during the stay as I had a tight schedule.

There's a starbucks in the lobby and the food at Champions was good. The staff is quite helpful and they're quick to respond. Had a comfortable stay overall though.

Room Tip: Corner rooms towards the north have a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
MarriottAustinDT, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

hp_bengaluru,
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Austin. We all appreciate your business and look forward to many return visits. I want to personally thank you for mentioning our amazing associates. They work hard each day to make our guests feel welcomed and I am pleased you were witness to their amazing efforts. I have shared your feedback about the cutlery with housekeeping and they have identified the problems so they can better react to a similar situation. Thank you for sharing. Safe travels!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here last week in room 801. This is a corner room with great views of the Austin skyline, especially the Frost Tower. Great location with walking access to the Capitol, UT campus, 6th street, and convention center. Get an *01 room on any floor if you can. We left the curtains open all might and enjoyed the view.

Service in the restaurant was excellent. Housekeeping was lackluster but acceptable. Rooms are small, but I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank ynnej
MarriottAustinDT, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

ynnej,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel while you explored Austin. Our team is always available to help each guest maximize their time in our city. Just a few short blocks from the hotel you will find the best restaurants, nightlife, art and attractions. I am happy you were able to enjoy Austin and look forward to your return. Thank you.