“Walkable”

Super 8 Austin Downtown/Capitol Area
Ranked #99 of 201 Hotels in Austin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Midlothian, Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had a one night stay on September 10th.We got there a little after 2:30 PM. I will begin by saying that the lady at the front desk was courteous, did her best and was helpful when I needed directions but it did take a good 30 minutes or so to get checked in with a reservation in hand. There was one couple ahead that was trying to get a room and the phone ringing off the hook while the lobby was filling up as she was telling us all that she is waiting on the cleaning staff to be done by 3:00PM. Then when it got closer to 3 she started talking about 10 more minutes making it almost 40 minutes to get checked in. So others are correct that they will not let you check in early at all and I think the cleaning thing was a [--] excuse to make us all wait until 3. I didn't like it either because there was one easy option for food-the mexican restaraunt across the street but it didn't look like it was open. They have a room service menu if you want to pay 15 or 18 bucks for a sandwich. Also, if you are going to attend an event at the new Austin 360 Ampitheatre, this isn't the right place to stay. Shoot for the other Super8 on HWY 71 close to the airport. It's a little more expensive but it's much closer and looks nicer. The room at this one had a weird smell, old, wore out light switches, dusty, dirty base boards and dusty fan in bathroom, dinky, mismatched pillows with stains on the carpet. There was a hide a bed couch but I don't know how you'd use it because it's blocked by the bed, (also had stains and trash in it). I guess it depends on how picky you are but this place was kinda skanky to me. Bed was comfortable besides the pillows and it had a good air conditioner. Funny part is that there are signs in the rooms that threaten a 150.00 cleaning charge added to your account if you smoke in the room. That was laughable. As bad as I hate cigarettes, a Marlboro probably would have made the room smell better.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My experience with the staff was so bad, I left without staying the night. Day one, staff and facility were just fine. For my purposes, the location was ideal. Although the events that transpired surround one individual, my discomfort level was such that I left the property and checked into another hotel.

Room Tip: Anywhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Austin hotels

Houston
Reviewed 12 September 2013

You get what you paid for as far as ammenities; staff was friendly; security made it a hassle for guests to visit; parking is limited to 1 car per room

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

London
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The thing is, this is a nice motel in a great location. They just need to sort their disorganisation out. Reception were doing their best but needs to be reviewed. The room was $75 a night, a bit over our budget but went for it due to location. However, on check-in (at 3pm) we were told the room would be ready in 10 minutes, they are sorry for the delay, the cleaning staff have not been getting the rooms done in time recently. 2 other people were also waiting. Then reception gets so busy, they cant keep up with the amount of people waiting to check in, by this point about 6 of us all being half dealt with, and the rooms still not ready, phone ringing. Every time I asked, my room still wasn't ready, by 4pm i was finally given my keys, which after carrying all my stuff up to the room on the second floor, neither keys worked. Stress that could all of been avoided.

• Stayed September 2013