“A good compromise”

Super 8 Austin Downtown/Capitol Area
Ranked #96 of 203 Hotels in Austin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Austin
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Clean, Newly remodeled room. Friendly staff. The candy machine outside ate my money. Twice. The Manager refunded me the 2.50.
The hotel is right next to I-35, and is the least expensive motel closest to the College/State Government district, which means the clientele are usually younger, and less likely to care about other guests. They were a noisy bunch. At 2 in the morning. We never complained (What's the point?) so we can't fault the managers.
The motel had a breakfast setup, but we didn't partake. There was a Denny's 4 blocks up on the same side of the hiway.
The bedspreads could use a good laundering. The one on the second bed looked...icky. The pillows were clean, but rather thin.
Overall, if you need to be close to the capitol on a budget, this is a decent place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Bellevue Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was a single-female traveler and stayed at this motel near the end of the remodel process. The rooms are completely updated, including the plumbing. I liked the laminate flooring and the sofa was comfortable to sit on. Good wifi and cable TV. There was a new microwave, fridge and coffee maker. I did not take advantage of the breakfast, but the front staff was very helpful. Jeff checked me in the evening I arrived and helped me arrange a taxi to the Moody Theater for an evening show. The front staff stowed my suitcase after check-out time so I could explore Austin before my evening flight home.

The location is within walking distance of the state Capitol and UT, but it is a trek across the I-35. I did not feel comfortable walking to downtown at night by myself, but cabs were efficient and reasonable ($8.00 on-way). During the day, I walked into downtown and used the metro bus system to explore the area. This is a good basic hotel. The location is about as far as I would want to stay from downtown Austin, without a car. The motel is on the east edge of downtown Austin, a very historic and interesting neighborhood. Franklin's Barbecue is a quick walk up a side street (bring your lawn chair for a two hour wait). There also were a few clubs and restaurants a short walk away on east 11th street.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 215. It was the farthest area away from the highway, quiet during my mid-week stay.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Milton Freewater, Oregon
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Remodeled rooms were great with hard floors. The location was in walking distance to downtown area and two blocks to Franklin BBQ. Close to the Capital building and LBJ library. Nice quiet and clean rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here for a bachelor party in January. Very nice rooms, considering it is a motel. It was fairly loud, and the door didn't feel super secure - luckily the location seems fairly safe.

My room was in the middle of being remodeled, and consequently did not have artwork or a headboard for the bed. Still - considering location and cost, it was an acceptable place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 January 2014

PRICE AND QUALITY
I paid about $75 after taxes for a Tuesday night stay. I was placed in room 130, the furthest room from the lobby that's on the 1st floor. The room actually had wood floors, which was a shock since Super 8 is a lower-tiered motel. Everything else is exactly what one would expect- no frills- just the necessities.

SLEEP QUALITY
At night, I could hear cars driving on the highway nearby. Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper. One of the two pillows I had was also unbelievable flat. It was to the point where you can fold it in half and it wouldn't unfold by itself.

BREAKFAST
Meh- Yogurt, individually packaged muffins, cereal, bread, jelly, and bananas. The only teabags that were available were large decaffeinated Lipton tea bags- the ones meant to make an entire pitcher of tea. Kind of a waste of resources if you ask me.

PROXIMITY TO FRANKLIN BARBECUE
If you're visiting Austin, you may have heard about how awesome the restaurant "Franklin Barbecue" is. If not, go look it up and read some reviews about the delicious brisket and the long multi-hour wait in line each morning. This Super 8 is in a FANTASTIC location if you're considering buying food at Franklin Barbecue- less than 2 blocks away. .

(By the way, I rated Franklin Barbecue a 4 on TripAdvisor, but the overwhelming majority of people rated it a 5. If I focused solely on the food quality, I would also have rated it a 5)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo