“Average family dinner ”

Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy. 290
Transit: Capitol Metro bus stops at West Gate Shopping Center. From Austin Convention Center, take #5-WOODROW/SOUTH 5TH-SB to Western Trails & Sagebrush.
Description: Since our opening in 1982, Hyde Park Bar & Grill has been determined to bring you delicious high quality food at a moderate price. People need to believe in something, and we believe good value, friendly service and a relaxed casual atmosphere will keep bringing you back. We are dedicated to serving you quality, handcrafted food using the freshest ingredients available. Our restaurant is open at 11:00 a.m. every day for lunch and dinner serving a traditional and eclectic mix of appetizers, burgers, sandwiches, soups, salads, steaks, seafood, pasta and our award winning french fries. Our mission is to be the place you eat when you dine away from home. Thanks for choosing Hyde Park Bar & Grill.
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We were a party of 3 adults + 2 toddlers joining a party of 2 adults+1 toddler who were already eating.We asked several times for silverware. The server took our orders and brought us one fork. When we requested more, she brought us 1 each time, necessitating multiple requests for more forks. The first party had left, and everyone had been served before we finally were able to get enough forks for the five of us to eat our dinners.
The chicken was juicy and tender, and the green beans were fresh and crisp. The mashed potatoes were also good, but the macaroni and cheese was gummy, and the sweet potatoes were too spicy. The spinach salad was good.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I went to HP Grill last night and found out no more sides with your entree. You are expected to buy them and eat them family style. Claiming they lowered their prices (ha!) for the main dishes, the grill now offers a tiny piece of salmon with NOTHING for $12. No freaking thank you. Your food is not this good. Give everyone a 25 cent baked potato with that and you'll find your clientele much happier. While I used to love HP grill, I will now not be going back. I do not want to fight with my kids over my side, nor do I want to pay an extra $8 for my meal to get potatos and a veg. This is unacceptable. Tell your manager to go back to the old model. Also, what happened to the pasta dishes? Can't sell any sides with those?

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The management of this place should be ashamed of themselves. I have never seen a more disgusting stained and dirty carpet in a restaurant in my life. It looks like carpet you'd see at a crack house.

If they think it's OK to open their doors and serve food with the front of the house looking this way, what are their standards for the kitchen?

I will never, ever, ever darken their door again.

Lucy F, Public Relations Manager at Hyde Park Bar & Grill WestGate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Hello, robg9000 --

Believe it or not, we very much appreciate your taking time to post about our restaurant. And you're right -- our carpet does need to be replaced.

We are in the planning phase of a major interior update that will include new flooring among other things.

That being said, we have the carpet steam cleaned regularly. It unfortunately hasn't held up as well under intense traffic as we'd been told it would. So it's stained and worn rather than being dirty but you're right -- it doesn't look good. Look for an update to our interior in the coming year.

Our kitchen organization and cleanliness is a source of pride and we'd love to give you a tour of it if you'd be interested. Or you're welcome to check our health department scores and those of other area restaurants at http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/health/restaurant/search.cfm. We view the health department as our friend -- someone who comes in regularly and points out anything we can improve to better ensure that we are giving our guests the best, healthiest food from a cleanliness standpoint.

Please email us at hydeparkbarandgrill [at] gmail [dot] com if you'd like a kitchen tour.

Again thanks for writing,

Lucy Frost
for Hyde Park Bar & Grill

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Some really nice mini-quesadillas led off a late, and light, lunch that three of us enjoyed at the Hyde Park Bar and Grill (West Gate) on a Thursday not long ago. It was a good sign, and Hyde Park did not disappoint on any of the other courses, either. Pulled pork bbq was first rate; nice sides including cornbread and greens completed the picture. Prices were moderate, service was fast and friendly (one of us had to have a quick lunch on a tight schedule, and all his dishes arrived promptly), and a mildly dissolute dessert of ice cream and chocolate sauce did not go amiss, either. Next time in Austin I would like to return to Hyde Park for dinner --

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Because we are selling our home, we are eating out a good deal. One night I scrambled out for a viewing with my teenagers to Hyde Park Grill. What a treat. We have returned 3 times since. I have liked everything I have tried--the collared greens with bacon are crisp and delicious. Go!

Been to Hyde Park Bar & Grill WestGate? Share your experiences!