“Great ACL stay!!!”

Ranked #37 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
“Great ACL stay!!!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Fantastic location near the University of Texas campus. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The hotel provided transportation to and from the festival which made our trip to ACL so easy. Comfortable and plush rooms and loved the blend of historical character of the main building with the updated modern clean design of the guest rooms. The renovations were ongoing on the courtyard pool and guestroom wing addition, but construction noise was not a problem. Overall, we had a great experience at Hotel Ella and look forward to staying here next time we are in Austin.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chelle A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Houston
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Beautiful hotel, until you look beneath the surface. Staff: very pleasant, not especially well-trained. One example: bellman left me carrying a heavy bag, while he carried a light briefcase. Another, no guide book to hotel services in the room. Wound up walking to valet parking to get my car, rather than calling a number, since the doorman had not written any number on the ticket, and the telephone system is indecipherable. Rooms: I had a large garden suite, looking onto the pool. As a result, there was little sitting area, just a lot of open space. No desk for working. I decided to work on the patio next to the beautiful pool and its fountains. Wrong. Construction is ongoing---a lot of noise, plus workmen walking around. Another point: no guide to television channels, so you flip one by one until you find the station you want. Here's a biggie: no closets. An armoire, BUT, it's full of shelves, so your pants, dresses, etc. can't hang straight down, but must be bent. And the sink/vanity is in the bedroom itself, rather than the bathroom. In short, the architect who redesigned the place must know nothing about hotels. It looks good, but is not practically functional. Given the truly outrageous price, I'd have been much more comfortable at a Comfort Inn. So it's a place to see and be seen, but not to stay.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank RDTADT
Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Read about Hotel Ella in the WSJ so we had high expectations. The price was about $200 more that what was quoted in the paper but I figured that it must be weekend rates. Very disappointed. The rooms looked nice but the views were of a construction fence. The hand-held shower head was 5' high so it was a pain in the back to wash your hair. As mentioned in other reviews the walls/doors are thin and the beds noisy. We had a couple across the hall who had a great time all night. We didn't get much sleep either for other reasons. We luckily switched rooms the next day- view of the parking lot. Pool was not finished. Not a bed and breakfast. Bathrooms were cheaply done with ceramic tile. For $400-550 a night I expect better. Staff was very nice.
Beware there is a 72 hour cancelation policy-
Stayed the last night at a hotel near the airport and my son couldn't figure out why it was $200 cheaper when it had a pool, exercise room, breakfast and a better shower.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Rinwitter
Manager_Ella, Director of Rooms at Hotel Ella, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Rinwitter,

Thank you for your posting. I apologize for failing to exceed your expectations during your recent stay at Hotel Ella with the renovations not being 100% complete at the time of your visit. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the mentioned issues have caused to you. I am available anytime should you wish to speak with me in more detail. Your candid feedback in regards to the quality of the room allows us to address our inconsistencies and make improvements to the mentioned areas going forward. Please contact me personally, as I want to ensure I resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction.

Patricia Lehberger
Director of Rooms
512-495-1800
seattle, wa
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I have to admit, I was really looking forward to this place and maybe my expectations were too high. I loved that this place was historic and so 'Texan' but the renovations are a miss. There was issue after issue and if I'm paying several hundred dollars, I expect everything to be working, at minimum! I had high expectations because they are part of the 'small luxury hotels' but I'm not sure why that 'club' included them. I guess that goes to show that there still aren't any 'groups' 'clubs' that I can trust 100%, including JetSetter. The one positive thing was the staff, but unfortunately that itself won't make me want to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed October 2013
7 Thank dubupak
Dear dubupak,

Thank you for posting your review about your recent stay at Hotel Ella. We are sorry to read that we didn’t meet your expectations. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the mentioned issues have caused to you. I am available anytime should you wish to speak with me in more detail. Your candid feedback will allow us to address our inconsistencies and make improvements going forward. Please contact me personally, as I want to ensure I resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction.

Patricia Lehberger