“An elegant small hotel”
Review of Hotel Ella

Hotel Ella
Ranked #38 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very lovely hotel. Staff is fantastic. Loved the breakfast in pretty dining room. The small bar was intimate and sophisticated. Rene the young man in the dining room was so professional and helpful. The attention to detail made it a unique experience and I would recommend it highly. Next time I want to stay in the main house after seeing the rooms. Although the annex was great I think the main house rooms are very special. The complimentary car service to dine in other areas of Austin was very convenient. A real bonus.

Room Tip: The rooms in main house are superior.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathleen O
Manager_Ella, General Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Kathleen O,
Thank you for your great review. I'm so glad you loved your breakfast in Goodall's Kitchen & Bar. We strive to provide a unique experience for our Hotel Ella guests. Our staff is fantastic and I will let Rene know you found him to be professional and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Ella again soon!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Ella

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I highly recommend Hotel Ella, my stay was exceptional in every way.
From the perfect location, to the aesthetics and comfort of this historic hotel it provided the perfect experience for the weekend in Austin.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kellye C

Dear Kellye C,
Thank you for your great review. We're so glad that your stay at Hotel Ella was exceptional in every way! Thank you again for your high recommendations. We look forward to providing you another perfect experience on your next visit to Austin and Hotel Ella!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am on the road as a business traveler all year and I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Ella. The staff at Hotel Ella is personable, courteous and conscientious. They made me feel like I was in their home and provided me with sincere hospitality. My internet worked consistently throughout the property, which is very important to me. The food was amazing and for anyone who is looking for a great restaurant for lunch or dinner, Goodall's Kitchen & Bar is fantastic. I decided to dine in the restaurant several times during my stay and each meal was delicious. It was also great place to meet clients for breakfast and an old friend for drinks on the verandah in the afternoon. What a find! I know where I will stay when I return to Austin. And next time, I look forward to trying out the pool!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Manager_Ella, General Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear marciam1969: Thank your for your great review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Ella and found our staff to be personable, courteous, and conscientious. It's great that you were able to utilize our complimentary wifi. We're thrilled that you enjoyed every delicious meal at Goodall's Kitchen & Bar, as well as drinks on our veranda. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Austin!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Better service than a five star hotel. The staff was wonderful, the rooms was great, the bed comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel. We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant and the food was excellent. Really loved everything.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Nancy N: Thank you for your great review. We're so glad that you loved our wonderful staff (better service than a five star hotel), great rooms and comfortable beds. I'm thrilled that you loved your Hotel Ella experience, including an excellent breakfast and dinner at our restaurant, Goodall's Kitchen & Bar. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Good location . Courtesy car service within 3 miles radius in downtown to 10pm. Current building work nearby unexpected but obviously temporary. Swimming pool and ambience inside very relaxing and staff couldn't be more helpful. Would like to have stayed for more than one night to get into the relax groove. Breakfast scrumptious and well worth booking a rate that includes it for the experience. Not all rooms have a bathtub so if you'd like one I'd suggest mentioning it on booking. Overall a lovely hotel and would definitely recommend it. I thought all the staff were really helpful and genuinely so.

Room Tip: If you'd like a bathtub mention it on booking.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SDPPooleUK: Thank you for your recent review of Hotel Ella. I'm so glad you found the swimming pool, as well as the interior ambiance to be very relaxing. Also, thank you for acknowledging our genuinely helpful staff. When making your next reservation, please let us know that you prefer a room with a bathtub. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Ella soon! Hopefully you'll be able to stay longer than one night and "get into the relax groove!"

Reviewed 14 April 2014

It's rare that I take the time to fill out a survey let alone write a review on a hotel. As a frequent traveler for both business and pleasure, I have to say that I was beyond impressed with the service I received at Hotel Ella! The rooms are great. The food was impeccable and the service was just outstanding.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Myleik T,
It's great to hear that you were beyond impressed with Hotel Ella's service and room accommodations. We're so pleased that your dining experience included impeccable food and outstanding service. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Ella soon!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We have stayed at the Mansion on Judges Hill for several years and the quality we admired about the hotel was it's status as a solid boutique in a great location of Austin. So, my wife and took a trip to Austin this weekend to try the new Hotel Ella, a transformation of the former Mansion on Judges Hill.

The rate I noticed was high for a suite but made the reservation anyway. What a disappointment for a $500+ hotel room. No desk, a shower you could hardly turn around in, slippery tiles in the shower and virtually no hot water in the morning's shower and on top of this, 2 wash cloths, 2 hand towels and 2 bath towels. I will give them a plus for 1 extra pillow. The bed was average and overall the room was small and was no where near "Suite" size or "Suite" quality.

Updates with the pool, outside art, inside art, new carpeting, paint and decorations was well done. Keeping the mansion and dining room was a plus. Parking is $25 and Valet is the only choice.

My advice for Austin is head to the 4 Seasons which is another favorite of ours in Austin. For $500+ you get a lot more for your money is class hotel. For the new owners of Hotel Ella, your upgrades and capital investment were put in the wrong places and just cost you a loyal customer for the past 6 years.

Room Tip: Go to the 4 Seasons for these prices. You will get more.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Mike R
Manager_Ella, General Manager at Hotel Ella, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Mike R:

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Ella and to recognize our service, cleanliness and location as excellent. We were thrilled to welcome you back and show you Hotel Ella, including all of the new product and service enhancements that make Ella sophisticated and unique. I was glad to see you enjoyed the pool courtyard and art installation. They truly bring out the best of Austin old and Austin new.

I apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the quality and comfort of your guest suite. All of the inconveniences you mentioned are easily overcome. I would be grateful for the opportunity to regain your loyalty. I am available anytime via 512-495-1800.

Steve Shotsberger