“Not a very good first impression!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Austin's Inn at Pearl Street

Austin's Inn at Pearl Street
Ranked #9 of 37 Austin B&B and Inns
Austin,tx
“Not a very good first impression!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2008

I don't think these ladies that work there know that first impression is eveything. When I walked in with my finace to book our wedding I felt as if they were very rude and all about money. We have been shopping around for a wedding venue and this place was far from the wedding scene. The assistant crystal mentioned how the owner will be cordinating our wedding well the owner was there and never introduced her self. Any time we had a question the assistant crystal would tell us wait let me finish and went on about pricing this and pricing that. I thought it to be very rude and outrageously expensive. Not worth what should be one of the best days of your life. I would not chance it with them. I could not wait to leave there place. These ladies need to learn how to be more people person. And incase your wondering we booked our wedding at vintage villas off the lake. Now thats a wedding venue beautiful place beautiful people I absolutley love our wedding cordinator Lauren now that is a people person.

P.S. If your alergic to cats you might not want to stay there, the place has a pet cat.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank misslolobat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2007

Although the location downtown is very convenient, and the setting makes for beautiful pictures, I strongly suggest you look somewhere else for your wedding/reception. Planning a wedding can be stressful enough, and dealing with the owner of Austin’s Inn at Pearl Street will definitely drive you over the edge!
I fell in love with the cute bed-and-breakfast the first time I saw it. Jill Bickford, the owner, gave me a tour and a play-by-play of what an actual wedding may look like. She sold me immediately, but I wanted my fiancé to give the okay. So, we went for a second tour, and we got the same song and dance. Days were filling fast, so we put down the non-refundable $850 deposit soon after our second tour.
After my deposit was received, things that I was told during the first 2 tours started to change. I tried to go with the flow and not get stressed out, but dealing with Jill was not easy. I believe she is just very flighty and unorganized – and doesn’t remember what she told you from one day to the next. When I realized this, I chose to deal mainly with her assistant, Crystal. Crystal, thank goodness, is very organized. She started to put everything in writing and was consistent when either my fiancé or I asked her questions.
Unfortunately, this all fell apart the day of my wedding. I had booked the Inn for 4 hours (for both my wedding and reception). I had to pay $30 per guest for the venue. This fee was to cover the use of the entire first floor of the Inn and Bride & Groom’s changing rooms, along with several other things. I was told the week before my wedding that the normal bride’s changing room was already booked, and they didn’t have another option. Thankfully, my aunt had rented a room at the B-and-B, and she agreed to allow me to change there. I was not happy, but again, I tried to go with the flow. When I arrived a few hours before my wedding, I was told by my aunt (I was never approached by Inn staff), that the normal bathroom and the first floor of the Inn were now booked with other guests, and they were not available for my reception (they had mistakenly overbooked the Inn). So, my aunt was forced to give up her private bathroom for all of my guests to use! When she complained, Jill told her that there was no other option!!! When my pastor arrived, he needed to change. Of course, the groom’s changing room was booked as well and not available for my wedding! To top it off, several of my wedding guests (including my mother) said that Jill and her staff were rude to them throughout the evening.
Services that were promised to me and that I paid for were not available on the day of the event. I was never informed of these mistakes by Inn staff – I had to find out from family and friends. I was also never compensated for the lack of services.
I have filed complaints with the BBB and the Texas Attorney General. There are so many beautiful places in Austin to have a wedding. For the prices these venues charge, a person should not have to put up with rude, unprofessional staff. I would definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AustinBride07
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2007

We needed a nice place to stay near downtown and we took a gamble on the Inn at Pearl Street despite some negative reviews. We were pleasantly surprised with the beautiful courtyard that connects the buildings and the comfortable rooms. We never did meet the owner, but the employees who work there were all very nice to us, getting us checked in without a problem and providing a tasty breakfast in the morning.

A new condominium complex is being built right next door which made for a noisy wake up call on Saturday, but they didn't work on Sunday so we could sleep in that day. Our room and adjoining bathroom were huge and the bed was very comfortable. The Inn is an easy walk from the University and a quick drive or long walk from 6th Street, etc.

We knew from prior reviews to request a room with separate temperature controls so we avoided one potential issue. The rooms were very clean and decorated nicely. I'd recommend the Inn at Pearl Street for anyone looking for a romantic place to stay close to downtown attractions.

• Liked — Courtyard and comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Construction going on next door
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LsDano2
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2007

We arranged our daughter's wedding quickly due to a family illness. Jill Bickford, the owner of the Inn at Pearl Street, was more than accommodating. She and her staff went out of their way to help us get our wedding arranged in less than 2 months. When our wedding doubled in size, Jill didn't blink. She helped us coordinate the most excellent, fairy-tale wedding a bride could imagine. The staff was invisible during the wedding. They were able to move chairs without the guests or us even being aware this was going on. The lights and the trees are a romantic touch. We arranged for a room for our bride which was a theme room. It was clean and the staff even put fresh flowers in the room. There were oversized robes and lots of fluffy pillows. Many of our guests said this was the most romantic wedding setting they had ever seen. This Inn is without a doubt a hidden treasure in Austin. The staff was easy to work with. They coordinated with all of our vendors including our caterers, photographer, officiant, musician, and arranged for a carriage ride for the bride and groom. For a wedding or family gathering, you couldn't ask for a better location. It is centrally located, just southwest of UT and near downtown. It is also close to the Bob Bullock Museum and the Blanton Art Musem. There is currently some construction in the area, but this should clear up shortly and it did not interfere with our wedding. I highly recommend this location.

• Liked — Story-book atmosphere, staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed June 2007
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2007

Property is very nice and that's all of the good. Our room was very noise due to heavy road traffic. One night fire trucks came by and nearly rattled us out of bed. When we asked to be moved, management said they would move us only if we paid more.

Also we feel we had no privacy as you could hear anything, and I mean anything, that went on around our room since walls were paper thin.

There was only one a/c unit for the entire upstairs, so if someone set one temperature late at night, you were stuck with it.

Also breakfast was virtually non existent. Cold cereal, a banana and a few pieces of fruit and coffee, if you got there early enough.

All in all for the price we paid I would say this is one of the worst values I have had. It's a very pretty property, but that is the best I can say about it.

• Liked — pretty property
  • Disliked — very noise and no privacy
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank drhFlorida
Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2007

My husband and I have traveled to 6 different continents and seen 55 countries.
We are retired and write for several travel publications. We have never been treated so horribly in all of our travels. The linen was not even changed, there was no breakfast served. We had booked for 4 evenings, but left after 1 night.
The owner, Jill Bickford charged us for all 4 evenings and has yet to give us a refund.

It amazes me that such a shady establishment can still operate as a business.

• Liked — not a single thing
  • Disliked — a compilation of every facet was indeed horrible
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank HappyNomad74
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2007

I stayed here with my husband in early October. We consider ourselves pretty easy going and not difficult to please. From the exterior it looks like a nice place. BEWARE. The Owner is anything but pleasant and she borders on rude. We got up for breakfast at 9am and there wasn't a seat to be found so we could only take part in the Bed portion of the Bed and Breakfast. It was at the tail end of a very pleasant trip and we disn't want anything to ruin it for us.

The worst part was when we received our credit card statement she had charged us for 2 nights instead of just one. I immediately phoned and questioned the bill and she told me I was mistaken then we did indeed stay with her for 2 evenings.

We plan to settle it with our credit company. How they are still in business I will never know.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — tough to name just one
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family