“Lovely Inn Terrable management”

Austin's Inn at Pearl Street
Ranked #8 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
Algonquin, Ill.
Reviewed 9 April 2006

My husband and I hosted our daughters wedding at the Inn last December. I made all arrangements over the phone as we are from Illinois and they seemed like wonderful people. That is until we got there. We booked 8 rooms and there were other guests there besides the wedding party. I must say the rooms were lovely and well decorated to suit the age of the two homes although they were rather small. I think you have to expect that in Victorian home. However, had we realized how small the rooms were we would have booked more. We were assured that there was plenty of room to set up a cot for our grand daughter. There was not, she ended up on a pallet on the floor with out sheets or blanket even after we requested them twice. Breakfast was a disaster. The owner tried to cook for about 25 people by herself. We ended up with cold half cooked food and no place to sit. Other guests of the Inn were angry because the wedding party took up most of the space. The wedding reception was a disaster. I paid to have a hostess to assist with the food, cake etc. but she was no where in sight most of the evening. She was also very rude to many of the guest. No one from the wedding party will ever stay at this Inn again because of the way they were treated. Then on top of all this she refused to refund our refundable deposit. This is only a small sampling of the problems we had. See review from my daughter the bride dated March 1, 2006.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 6 April 2006

I would like to disagree with the two negative reviews of the Inn at Pearl Street. Although, yes, the place was dusty, my bathroom was spotless and I found the ladies that ran the place to be very helpful and relatively friendly.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 March 2006

I had my wedding here- and we were NOT happy. The owner was rude to guests, including my 75 yr old Grandmother! She wouldn't let us work the stereo, insisted she do the wedding music- then left to run an errand and left it to the bartender who we payed to tend bar not the wedding music- she messed it up and played the wrong song for me to walk down the isle. My husband had to leave the altar to go fix the music. She took down our reception buffet an hour and half early, then we watched the groundskeeper walk off with a to go box. The worst is that she witheld money from our deposit, claiming we had 2 extra kids stay (3 & 4 yr olds). They were aware of every guest staying at the inn and told us we would not have to pay extra for the kids, then took the cost from our deposit and refuses to pay it back. The room the kids stayed in had no hot water the first night and the next morning when we let her know, the response was "well what do you want me to do about it?" I also requested a full length mirror for the bridal party to get ready- there wasn't one there so I asked her for one and she told me "I cannot accomodate everyone's request for mirrors!" Seriously, I'm sure there was not a high demand on mirrors, even so you think she could accomodate the bride's request without being rude. She locked my parents and myself while we were on grounds, and walked in on guests without knocking more than once. She showed my Grandma's room to some people putting all of her belongings in the closet so when she went back to her room, her stuff was not there and people were in her room- she never bothered to take the belongings out of the closet. These are only a few of the many problems we experienced with this owner. And graciously she told us during breakfast that we were drinking too much coffee! She was irrational and acted as if we were inconveniencing her throughout our time there. I DO NOT recommend this Inn to anyone who wants some respect for themselves and their guests.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 February 2006

This was my first time in Austin. It is such a beautiful city. My husband and I stayed at the Inn (our first time staying at a B&B). When we arrived the owner had taped our keys to the back door and left us a note to find our room. I could probably understand that if it were late and past normal business hours but it was 3:00 p.m. Nonetheless, the Inn is well appointed and comfortable. We helped ourselves to some wine that was left for us and sat on our private balcony. As one of the other reviewers said it was very warm in the room and we didn't have any one to call to turn it down. Thank goodness it was mid December...we opened all the windows. The owner made an appearance briefly while my husband was moving our car to find a better parking space (the parking is quite limited) and at that time she turned down the heat to our room. I actually never met her. We did hear her though, at 12:30 a.m. I saw her from our window arguing with a tenant about her rent. The argument woke us up and lasted for about an hour! You can a learn a lot about someone while they discuss problems and trust me this women/owner is not a rational nor a logical thinker.

Our stay really wasn't bad it just wasn't as I expected a B&B to be...I thought it would be more of a personal experience. The only person I met during our 2 night stay was the chef and he wasn't very friendly. I hope the next time I stay at a B&B I at least get to meet the owners.

• Stayed: December 2004
4  Thank AWDallas
Reviewed 9 February 2006

The Inn is really lovely. A great location near UT Campus and The Capitol and about a mile from 6th street shops and restaurants.
Not the typical service you would find at a B & B. Never was greeted by owner. Called to change rooms and heard back 5 hours later. She was a bit cranky too. Seemed put out.
Our controls for our heat/ac were located in the room next door. We were boiling. Hot water ran out every morning...we shared the hot water heater with the room next door. (must have been a 5 gallon heater:))
It has a lot of potential if the owner loved what she did and would take care of the guests.
Breakfast is toast and a toaster......some granola...serve yourself.
I loved the decor of our room (Bombay room) and I loved the pretty Inn...still not sure I would stay there again. Needs better service.

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank buglet74
Austin, TX.
Reviewed 6 December 2005

What a beautiful B & B. With above average rooms and a great Austin Location. And thats it. Our wedding at this Inn was tainted by the Owner. She is very controlling and deceptive as a bussiness owner. Numerous times during the planning(after we were finacially committed) and wedding she became argumentitive and confrontational with members of the wedding party.

The wedding party stayed at the Inn. The Owner dead locked guests out of their room while the guests were on premise. She assigned herself a role during the wedding and literally disappered leaving her duties with the overwhelmed bar tender which created mistakes. The whole establishment was very sketchy, when help was needed most, no one was available even when promised. I would not suggest using this location for any reason what so ever. There are plenty of other options that must have a better staff.

There is zero customer service if the Owner completely removed herself from customer interaction this Inn has a chance, but its not worth the risk..

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 16 November 2005

In all the bed and breakfasts we've been to, this one by far outweighs them all! Staying in the gothic room was glorious. Everything was perfect- from the atmosphere to the food and service. A memorable stay.

Stayed: September 2005