Austin's Inn at Pearl Street
US$252
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$169
Austin Motel(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$212
austinmotel.com
Wyndham Garden Austin(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$114
Crowne Plaza Austin(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$125
Lone Star Court(Austin)
US$205
US$194
All reviewseast roomgothic suitefrench roombed and breakfastvictoria housepecan treesbombay roomday bedother gueststhe main houseprivate balconymodern conveniencesromantic weekendsecond homesmall hoteluniversity of texas campusboutique hotel
Reviewed 3 August 2006

I am a researcher and I spent 2 months in Austin to use the library facilities at the University of Texas. After several trial runs with housing, I found a perfect arrangement at the Inn and I stayed there for two full months from early June-early August. I rented the Texas Hideaway apt., which is a very comfortable efficiency with a kitchenette, dining and living areas, king bed, and bath. The owner Jill was courteous, professional and very personable and she has a very good and trustworthy staff. The grounds and room were beautifully kept. It was a pleasure to relax on the shady and nicely landscaped patio after a long day at the library. I will stay there again next summer if I return for research. The location is very convenient: several blocks from UT, 15 blocks from downtown, and a few minutes drive to the Town Lake running trail. No complaints here and I give it a high recommendation.

• Stayed: July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed 1 July 2006

We read several reviews before heading to the Inn at Pearl Street and were concerned that it wouldn't be that great. We ended up staying in the Gothic Room, which was a fantastic room with a privat porch off the sitting room. The entire inn was well kept and service was great throughout. The staff was friendly and breakfast was very good.

The Inn is steps from the UT campus, but far enough away to avoid the noise fromt he bars. I would highly recommend the Inn to anyone travelling to Austin.

Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Tournoi511
Reviewed 11 June 2006

Here's our story with this place and its owner, Jill.

Last Christmas, we were desperate to find a short-term stay, we were in between houses, having sold the old one and purchased a new one but we had a 30 day gap between closings... We had looked for a long time with no luck because of the holidays and ended up having to put everything in storage and staying at an extended stay room until we could find something better... There were three of us, myself, my husband and my seven year old son and we were quite uncomfortable there.

Late on a Sunday afternoon, a couple of days after New Year's Eve, we were driving around and happened to see the Inn at Pearl street , we realized that they might have some small apartments in the back, so we walked in.... the place was deserted but the owner was still there and showed us, after much waiting around while she talked on the phone, a small cramped apartment at the top of a garage used as storage.

The place was very small and $2,150 for the month, and that after haggling. It had a room with a small kitchen on one wall, a bathroom and another small room with a small bathroom. It couldn't have been more than 450 sq ft. at best... But it had a nice deck out of the small bedroom and was nicely appointed. And it was available!

We took the place to start the next day. It was around 6 PM on a SUNDAY. She made us sign a contract and give her a check for the full amount.

The next day at 8 AM, a friend of mine called saying she had a small furnished house in the same area that had become available. I called the owner of the Inn at Pearl Street right away, to let her know what had happened, would she accept around $200 for the trouble and let us possibly take the other place instead? She said she had a very strict policy, but to go look and that we would talk...

I went to see it, it was lovely and it had three times the space, a yard @ $800 for the month... since it was much bigger, comfortable, and affordable... I took it on the spot and called the Inn as agreed... After several unsuccessful call attempts, my husband and I decided to go back in person, to get our check back and write her another check for the trouble, after all we'd only had the reservation for a few, non- business hours. When we got there, the secretary said the owner wasn't in. We urged her to giver the message to call us and told her that we wouldn't take the rooms. She didn't call, so finally I decided to put a stop on the check.

We never heard from her. After a few more attempts to get in touch with her, we dropped the issue, never remembering that I had given her our credit card number as well...

On our next credit card statement, there it was, a charge from the Inn at Pearl Street, for almost $800!!!

I am going to dispute the charges, but beware. This woman won't give you any wiggle room, no matter the situation.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank rosa100
A TripAdvisor Member
Algonquin, Ill.
Reviewed 9 April 2006

My husband and I hosted our daughters wedding at the Inn last December. I made all arrangements over the phone as we are from Illinois and they seemed like wonderful people. That is until we got there. We booked 8 rooms and there were other guests there besides the wedding party. I must say the rooms were lovely and well decorated to suit the age of the two homes although they were rather small. I think you have to expect that in Victorian home. However, had we realized how small the rooms were we would have booked more. We were assured that there was plenty of room to set up a cot for our grand daughter. There was not, she ended up on a pallet on the floor with out sheets or blanket even after we requested them twice. Breakfast was a disaster. The owner tried to cook for about 25 people by herself. We ended up with cold half cooked food and no place to sit. Other guests of the Inn were angry because the wedding party took up most of the space. The wedding reception was a disaster. I paid to have a hostess to assist with the food, cake etc. but she was no where in sight most of the evening. She was also very rude to many of the guest. No one from the wedding party will ever stay at this Inn again because of the way they were treated. Then on top of all this she refused to refund our refundable deposit. This is only a small sampling of the problems we had. See review from my daughter the bride dated March 1, 2006.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2006

I would like to disagree with the two negative reviews of the Inn at Pearl Street. Although, yes, the place was dusty, my bathroom was spotless and I found the ladies that ran the place to be very helpful and relatively friendly.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business