“Bad experience”

Ranked #7 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
florida
“Bad experience”
Reviewed 5 April 2007

Property is very nice and that's all of the good. Our room was very noise due to heavy road traffic. One night fire trucks came by and nearly rattled us out of bed. When we asked to be moved, management said they would move us only if we paid more.

Also we feel we had no privacy as you could hear anything, and I mean anything, that went on around our room since walls were paper thin.

There was only one a/c unit for the entire upstairs, so if someone set one temperature late at night, you were stuck with it.

Also breakfast was virtually non existent. Cold cereal, a banana and a few pieces of fruit and coffee, if you got there early enough.

All in all for the price we paid I would say this is one of the worst values I have had. It's a very pretty property, but that is the best I can say about it.

• Liked — pretty property
  • Disliked — very noise and no privacy
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank drhFlorida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Dallas
Reviewed 15 February 2007

My husband and I have traveled to 6 different continents and seen 55 countries.
We are retired and write for several travel publications. We have never been treated so horribly in all of our travels. The linen was not even changed, there was no breakfast served. We had booked for 4 evenings, but left after 1 night.
The owner, Jill Bickford charged us for all 4 evenings and has yet to give us a refund.

It amazes me that such a shady establishment can still operate as a business.

• Liked — not a single thing
  • Disliked — a compilation of every facet was indeed horrible
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank HappyNomad74
Washington, DC
Reviewed 26 January 2007

I stayed here with my husband in early October. We consider ourselves pretty easy going and not difficult to please. From the exterior it looks like a nice place. BEWARE. The Owner is anything but pleasant and she borders on rude. We got up for breakfast at 9am and there wasn't a seat to be found so we could only take part in the Bed portion of the Bed and Breakfast. It was at the tail end of a very pleasant trip and we disn't want anything to ruin it for us.

The worst part was when we received our credit card statement she had charged us for 2 nights instead of just one. I immediately phoned and questioned the bill and she told me I was mistaken then we did indeed stay with her for 2 evenings.

We plan to settle it with our credit company. How they are still in business I will never know.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — tough to name just one
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Mageets
Columbia, MO
Reviewed 5 January 2007

My fiance and I enjoyed a wonderful weekend in the Safari Room and we can't get over how comfortable the sheets were. The entire staff was helpful and accomodating. It was a very enjoyable stay and we can't wait to return.

• Liked — Comfortable, friendly, unique
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — look at website and pick a room that meets your needs.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MODarla
norman, oklahoma
Reviewed 3 August 2006

I am a researcher and I spent 2 months in Austin to use the library facilities at the University of Texas. After several trial runs with housing, I found a perfect arrangement at the Inn and I stayed there for two full months from early June-early August. I rented the Texas Hideaway apt., which is a very comfortable efficiency with a kitchenette, dining and living areas, king bed, and bath. The owner Jill was courteous, professional and very personable and she has a very good and trustworthy staff. The grounds and room were beautifully kept. It was a pleasure to relax on the shady and nicely landscaped patio after a long day at the library. I will stay there again next summer if I return for research. The location is very convenient: several blocks from UT, 15 blocks from downtown, and a few minutes drive to the Town Lake running trail. No complaints here and I give it a high recommendation.

• Liked — price, comfort, convenience, relaxing environment, super nice staff
  • Disliked — no fire escape ladder for 3rd floor apt.
  • Tips/Secrets — communicate clearly and courteously and you can expect the same
  • Stayed July 2006
1 Thank Nancy L
New York
Reviewed 1 July 2006

We read several reviews before heading to the Inn at Pearl Street and were concerned that it wouldn't be that great. We ended up staying in the Gothic Room, which was a fantastic room with a privat porch off the sitting room. The entire inn was well kept and service was great throughout. The staff was friendly and breakfast was very good.

The Inn is steps from the UT campus, but far enough away to avoid the noise fromt he bars. I would highly recommend the Inn to anyone travelling to Austin.

Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Tournoi511
austin
Reviewed 11 June 2006

Here's our story with this place and its owner, Jill.

Last Christmas, we were desperate to find a short-term stay, we were in between houses, having sold the old one and purchased a new one but we had a 30 day gap between closings... We had looked for a long time with no luck because of the holidays and ended up having to put everything in storage and staying at an extended stay room until we could find something better... There were three of us, myself, my husband and my seven year old son and we were quite uncomfortable there.

Late on a Sunday afternoon, a couple of days after New Year's Eve, we were driving around and happened to see the Inn at Pearl street , we realized that they might have some small apartments in the back, so we walked in.... the place was deserted but the owner was still there and showed us, after much waiting around while she talked on the phone, a small cramped apartment at the top of a garage used as storage.

The place was very small and $2,150 for the month, and that after haggling. It had a room with a small kitchen on one wall, a bathroom and another small room with a small bathroom. It couldn't have been more than 450 sq ft. at best... But it had a nice deck out of the small bedroom and was nicely appointed. And it was available!

We took the place to start the next day. It was around 6 PM on a SUNDAY. She made us sign a contract and give her a check for the full amount.

The next day at 8 AM, a friend of mine called saying she had a small furnished house in the same area that had become available. I called the owner of the Inn at Pearl Street right away, to let her know what had happened, would she accept around $200 for the trouble and let us possibly take the other place instead? She said she had a very strict policy, but to go look and that we would talk...

I went to see it, it was lovely and it had three times the space, a yard @ $800 for the month... since it was much bigger, comfortable, and affordable... I took it on the spot and called the Inn as agreed... After several unsuccessful call attempts, my husband and I decided to go back in person, to get our check back and write her another check for the trouble, after all we'd only had the reservation for a few, non- business hours. When we got there, the secretary said the owner wasn't in. We urged her to giver the message to call us and told her that we wouldn't take the rooms. She didn't call, so finally I decided to put a stop on the check.

We never heard from her. After a few more attempts to get in touch with her, we dropped the issue, never remembering that I had given her our credit card number as well...

On our next credit card statement, there it was, a charge from the Inn at Pearl Street, for almost $800!!!

I am going to dispute the charges, but beware. This woman won't give you any wiggle room, no matter the situation.

• Stayed January 2006