“A True Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Strickland Arms Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Strickland Arms Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Newland, North Carolina
“A True Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

This is a small B&B with 3 1/2 rooms (I think,see site for details).The room was quiet with it's own air conditioner that didn't keep us awake at night. The room was simple, queen bed, armoire for clothes small shower/toilet, Computer screen sized tv. But that was plenty for this lovely little B&B. Breakfast was simple, eggs, biscuits, fruit, jelly.Breafast is served at nine. This was a little late for us because we had to get going to our destinations early. So we only ate it twice. Coffee was strong and abundant. Coffee and tea are available all day/night as are muffins and a limited amount of fruit. Small bottles of water are kept upstairs by the rooms in a small fridge, which is kept empty so that you can store your own few cold things. It is shared by all three rooms. The porch has multiple seating areas so you can relax and enjoy the garden. The back garden is enchanting with a fountain, swimming pool and fireplace surrounded by walls that vary from Central American brick to Roman Columns. Hidden lighting and soft music make it a "destination" to unwind in the evening. Two of the nights we were there, a fire was built in the outdoor fireplace (not a fire pit). Very easy access to I-35 but you don't hear traffic. Neighborhood safe to walk with wonderful bakery (Quacks) nearby. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a bath tub, book early as that room seems to sell out fast.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AuntBeem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed in Sir David's Room and was absolutely impressed by his hospitality. We had a beautiful view through the windows of the back gardens with the pool and trees. The breakfast was so nice with delicious coffee, yummy orange juice, fresh eggs, fruit, and amazing biscuits with jam. We would definitely stay here again, it was so soothing, a little oasis in the heat of Texas spring, a home away from home

Room Tip: Sir David's Room just had a Queen bed, but it was so comfy and beautiful views of the garden ya...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stumbled onto the Strickland Arms website when I was looking for a room for the Formula 1 race weekend. All of the hotel rooms were way overpriced ($499 for a room at La Quinta?!?!?!). I emailed Barbara and she had just had a cancellation so I snapped it up. I'm so glad I did! It seems that this is the only establishment in Austin that didn't double or triple their rates for the weekend.

The house and gardens are really lovely. Our room and bath were comfortable and beautifully decorated. The mini-fridge was filled with bottles of water, essential for the desert-like Texas. Barbara and her husband were very kind and we felt completely at home there.

We never took advantage of the hot breakfast since we left early for the race each morning, but Barbara left out fruit, muffins and coffee so we weren't hungry when we left. The house is located on a quiet street about 20 minutes from the airport. There are several very nice places to eat just a few blocks away on Duval Street, and the house is about 10 minutes from downtown.

This was our first stay at a B&B and I was surprised at how much better it was than a hotel -- quiet, comfortable and relaxing. I'll definitely be looking to stay at B&B's when I travel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jeannehc
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Barbara and James "Strick" have one of the loveliest B&Bs in which we've ever stayed, with grand, bright rooms comfortably appointed for relaxing, reading, and sleeping (plus reading lamps on both sides of the beds, several boxes of tissue in the rooms, and plenty of towels!), beautiful antiques set in a huge old home--high ceilings, heart pine floors, and wraparound porch among its novelties, lovely communal living and dining rooms, and a pool and hot tub set in the walled, lush back garden. Relaxing out there is reason enough to stay here. Barbara is ever kind and attentive, ensuring you're well-fed in the morning and well-directed into different parts of Austin given her wealth of knowledge about the area. And James is busy about the B&B, maintaining it to high standards. The Strickland Arms truly is comfortable, clean, and wonderfully located for easy access to all points in Austin. You won't be disappointed. (And if you are, then maybe that means you're really just cut out for staying at big box hotels henceforth.)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank stindy
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here for south by and enjoyed it immensely. Great value and a short ride to 6th street sold me but the comfort and hospitality will bring me back.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank CelticGreen35
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Strickland Arms when we were in Austin for a short weekend. We had a great trip and the house is just lovely. For anyone complaining about it being run down, I'm surprised--I didn't notice anything on this house that was not just part of being an old house. The house was built in 1904 and things are not perfect. If you prefer a sterile environment that has no character, go to a hotel, not a B&B! We stayed in Lady Mae's room, which had a large bed, garden tub with jacuzzis, and windows. The bed was very comfortable and the refrigerator in the room was a big plus. Breakfast was delicious with fresh biscuits and plenty of fruit, and like other reviewers I loved getting to visit with the animals. Overall we had a great stay, the home is tucked in a great little neighborhood and is close to everything, making it easy to get around Austin.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kmascasa
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

I absolutely loved my stay at the historic Strickland arms. The innkeepers Barbara and James were both very sweet and accommodating to us. The room was very clean and comfortable and I loved the flat screen TV. The breakfast was tasty as they took care to slice and arrange the fruit platters for their guests. The location was close to restaurants and a major bus line which takes you to downtown Austin. Be sure to say hello to the furry innkeepers, Bueno, Evil and Amber. The Strickland's pets were very friendly and helped to make my stay even better. I would definitely stay here again..and again...and again.

Room Tip: Book early to get the best room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple