“High Quality & Healthy Food”
Review of Luby's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Luby's
Ranked #2,361 of 3,869 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Best of the local cafeterias. Very reasonably priced food. Elderly clientele dominates but many younger families also eat here. Excellent fish and cooked vegetables. Good place!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Every time I go to Texas, I make sure to have at least one meal at what has become my favorite cafeteria. Luby's is always clean; the food is exquisite; the service is tops (a waiter went to the next door restaurant to get a dipping sauce I requested!). You don't want to leave Texas without a meal at Luby's

Reviewed 11 January 2013

This is an amazing chain of cafeterias. I cannot vouch for all of them, but the one in South Austin on Olfort street is simply excellent.

They have a daily all you can eat buffet (which they serve) for less than $9 + drinks. For the two of us the total bill including tip came to about $25.

The choices available were awesome and included fried and baked chicken, fried and baked fish, chicken fried steak, freshly sliced turkey and ham, fried pork chops, and several other items. They had made to order salads, and every vegetable you could imagine. Heck, the mashed potatoes were even fresh made. Several bread choices including a sweet corn bread.
Of course at the end of the line were several different fresh pies. I wisely decided to skip the salad and pie in order to do some more serious eating.

My wife had their fried chicken and a small hamburger steak along with a tossed saled, mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn. I had the fried porkchops, mashed potatoes, corn, dressing, and a piece of cornbread...on round one! I enjoyed every bite and went back for more chops and a piece of fried chicken. Every bite was fresh and delicious. I do have to admit this place, with its all you can eat deal is a real diet buster for anyone like me who grew up poor.

This is simply great home-style cooking which should make Cracker Barrel ashamed to advertise anything similar.

I almost forgot to mention that every employee we encountered was as friendly as possible...made you feel as if they all appreciated your business.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

The food was Lubys so very delicious. Weekday lunch specials are ENTREE sized and $3 ! Amazing. Houston and Katy locations do not do this.
Monday is hamburger steaks, Tues liver and onions and Wed chicken fried steak. I had enough for two days both times I went.
I tried the pan fried cabbage (YUM!) and cooked okra (pretty good) for $1.99 side dish deals with the special.

But both times I had to walk around 75% of the place before I found a clean table! The servers were all around. Maybe they just "serve" drink refills and extra napkins?

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Clean surroundings with a relaxed atmosphere Luby's is a great place to try all kinds of food. I liked the canteen style with servers bringing the extra requirements. I hate it when you go to self serve and everyone has been messing with the food, it puts you off. There were plenty of salads and food for those wanting to watch the calorie intake and an amazing array of meats, sauces and sides for those who are not watching the calories. Try their pineapple, orange and coconut dish, it's so tasty. Hope to return soon!

1  Thank The_1st_Lady

Been to Luby's? Share your experiences!