“Hamburgers Rule!”

Fran's Hamburgers
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 16 June 2012

It's simple folks: If you love real, homecooked, beef burgers, this place is for you. If you are one of those health nuts who is looking for soy meat and a protein shake, keep on driving.

The hamburger is cooked on a grill in a small kitchen. The combos are either large or small, so pick one. Double meat is even better. OF COURSE the burger is going to have some grease in it. No meat is 100% fat free. Those people who won't touch a potato chip or are grossed out if you don't use Pam to grill food, they need to move on and go to a Austin hippie joint....Mama Fus, Zen, etc.

I call it how it is. Frans on Congress is great. I work at the Capitol so when we want to escape the lobbyist food, and want something better and hotter than whataburger, Frans is the place.

It's claim to fame, if I am not mistaken, is that this restaurant came out in some movie that Sandra Bullock came out in. I don't reallly care. I love their burgers!

1  Thank TheJedi72

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Fran and Dan used to be a couple years ago.When they split,there became Frans on Congress and Dans further on the south side.Frans has the kind of quality burger you expect with the little roof covering your parking space like the 50s drive-in restaurants had.Service is pretty quick and the food -mainly burgers and fries-well prepared.Recommended and close to the Magnolia on Congress.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is more of a nostalgia type visit than a restaurant experience. Locals eat there. The food is cheap and the location is great. Other than that, I would avoid this place unless you really like greasy hamburgers.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

I visited both Fran's locations on a recent Austin trip. The burger at the South Congress location was fresh and tasty. Plenty of toppings and a toasted bun. I had breakfast at the Fran's that is just off 290 and east of I 35. Good breakfast with fluffy biscuits.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

It is a time travelling, no question, I mean the place. First I felt being in a movie with those tables, chairs and things on the wall. And here comes the BURGER. Amazing. All the time, same quality, big size and the taste-it makes difference.
Don't miss Fran's once you are in Austin!