“Dirty socks and credit gouging”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin
Ranked #54 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I checked in with a bad impression of the hotel. I stopped at the gift store to purchase drinks for my son and I. I was told there was a $5 additional charge because I wasn't checked in yet. Not a great start. Check in was easy. My room was nice...but there were dirty socks under the bed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
John M, Guest Services Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear John C,
Thank you for staying at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel. I was glad to read that your check in experience was easy. That being said, I would like to sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issue you encountered in your room. I can assure you that this will be followed up on with our housekeeping team to make sure this does not happen in the future.

Best Regards,
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,342)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My stay started off very rocky due to the rude customer service received by Rudy when I called to get directions to the hotel. Not once, but twice was he very rude to me and my mother when we called. However, when I finally arrived to the hotel, I asked for the manager, Jon and he was the epitome of customer service. He listened to our complaint, gave the kids beach balls, and just really took care of us. He made the trip so enjoyable. We will definetely return here as long as Jon is there!

Dear Latanya M,
Thank you for deciding to spend your work/weekend getaway with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family. You left a lasting impression on me and I cannot wait for your return.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The gentleman at the front desk was extremely friendly and very efficient. I was checked in and up to my room in less than five minutes. Arriving after midnite that was fantastic for me. I put my order for breakfast on the door and it arrived precisely at the time I requested. The fruit was fresh and the cakes were to die for. I couldn't have asked for any better service!!

Dear Eddie S,
Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Austin for your recent trip. We appreciate your positive feedback and I will be sharing it with the team.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Was staying for a convention and the room was good and the service was outstanding. There are nice restaurants close by for eating. I even left my charger in the room after check out and housekeeping was able to get it to me. I recommend the Doubletree.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Scott M,
Thank you for taking the time to write about the Doubletree by Hilton Austin. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to quickly return your charger. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at this property for a military function 6/20-6/22/14. Needless to say, was not a good experience. Check in was at 3 pm but room was not ready. Front desk clerk told us to sit down & she would tell us when it was ready. Not very friendly, might I say. Room was ready at 4 pm. Requested a king room & was told they had us in a double BUT would upgrade us. NOT!!! Arrived to room & no upgrade & a VERY small room. I don't know if the hotel were having AC issues but it definitely was not working properly & never cooled off the room. Housekeeping never replaced our used towels or attempted to tidy the beds. There were several other soldiers staying at this location with their families & all had the same complaints. I am, by no means, a picky person, but this was definitely not worth the $ spent.. My husband & I have stayed at many different hotels for military duties, this by far was the worse experience.

1  Thank Kim H

Dear Kim H,
Thanks for taking the time to write regarding your recent stay, the feedback you provided is very valuable and greatly appreciated. Please accept my apologies that your stay was not as enjoyable as you would have liked, your complete satisfaction is very important to me and I assure you that we will use your feedback to continue to improve our hotel.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Initially, I had trouble making reservations. I tried to make reservations several weeks before the event I was attending---a banquet for Major General James Brown. I was not allowed to use my HHONORS points. I tried to make reservations using a block of rooms reserved for the aforementioned banquet and was told none were available. I asked for a king sized bed when I made the reservations. When I arrived, I was told none were available. However, the manager told the clerk to put me in a king size bed room. When I arrived at the room, it was not a king size room. I complained and was moved to a king size room. But, I was provided no assistance and had to move my luggage myself. No automatic checkout. Room was not cleaned. All in all, bad visit.

1  Thank Jerry I

Dear Jerry L,
Thank you for attending the aforementioned banquet for Major General James Brown. I want to sincerely apologize for the reservation and service issues at the beginning of your stay. These issues will be addressed with our front desk team. If you would like to talk about your stay in further detail, my contact information is below, please do not hesitate to contact me.

512-374-4809
John.Magnuson@interstatehotels.com

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I walked into the wrong room from the courtyard balcony. The lady was shocked that it was so easy just to walk in. She said that she made sure it was locked before she left. She was assuming that the housekeeping employee may have left through that door and did not shut it properly. Then I walked into my actual room to see the sheets completely off the bed and they came by to make the bed. I hate how expensive hotels don't offer very many amenities, such as free WiFi. They give you eight hours of continuous use for free, but who on earth is going to stay in their room for eight hours straight just to have free WiFi? Also there is no continental breakfast like at Dury Inn for example. You have to pay $10 for breakfast in addition to the over $120/night stay. I've been in cheaper hotels with better amenities.

1  Thank Tephanie C

Dear Tephanie C,
Thank you for providing feedback in regards to your recent stay. I deeply apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. I can assure you that these issues will be addressed with our Housekeeping and Engineering departments. Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention, we will use your feedback to improve our hotel.