“Pretty good for the price.”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin
Ranked #55 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was my first turn at a more upscale hotel from ones I've stayed at before. I was here for a conference and only decided to stay each night at the last minute rather than drive the 45 miles back to my home. The place is not very easily accessible, being right at the corner of two major highways, and you better know in advance you have to turn off the access road to a side street for the entrance. I missed it the first pass.

If you plan on a conference here, the service staff is excellent and the conference hall is very nice and large, plus there are several smaller rooms if you have any separate events going on at the same time. The service staff worked efficiently to transition the auditorium from speaker seating to a dance floor. I watched them do it.

The highlight was a guy whose name was Mike (or Michael) who helped me out in my last minute decisions to stay both nights. A very pleasant and helpful guy. Because the hotel was booked for the conference I wasn't sure if last-minute accommodations could be had, but he assured me they were available. He was also very helpful in a couple of other issues I asked him about.

Since I made last minute decisions both nights, I did not stay in the same room. The first night I was on the 5th floor on the highway side. Nice view. The second night I was on the 3rd floor, and on the pool side. The only downside to this was the walkway that ran outside the back door. You could hear people talking as they walked by, and even with the privacy curtain drawn I still felt a bit exposed.

Overall, a very good experience.

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful night, request a room on the opposite side from the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
John M, Guest Services Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Austin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear WinthropJQuiggy,
Thank you providing good feedback about the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel. I was pleased to read that Michael was able to accommodate you on a last minute decision. He is a great asset to our team and I will be sure to pass along these kind words.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

While working in downtown Austin, I selected this DoubleTree Property because the pricing was less than the downtown Hilton Properties. This property was conveniently located near good restaurants and the freeway. Keep in mind there is a charge for valet/self parking in the garage. As mentioned in another review the WiFi is simply at a snails pace, I mention this in the event you plan to work without your "Hotspot," you will be up all night. If traveling with family this property has a very nice pool lounge area even has rooms facing the pool area if you desire. The bedding and mattress was very comfortable.

Room Tip: As mention if the pool lounge area is your thing there are rooms that open directly to pool area. Th...

Dear Cecil E,
Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Austin for your recent business trip to Austin. I was happy to read that the hotels central location was convenient for your needs. Please feel free to reach out to me the next time you plan on heading to Austin so I can ensure everything is set up to your satisfaction.

John.Magnuson@interstatehotels.com
512-374-4809

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Big, bold and beautiful characterizes the Doubletree Hotel off I-35. The hotel's rooms and general public areas are gorgeously decorated and make the traveler feel cozy and warm. During my two day stay, I couldn't wait to wake up each morning and retire each night to the hotel because I knew I would be treated as if I was family. Loved it and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a home away from home while staying in Austin, Texas.

Dear Beverly C,
Thank you very much for such kind words about the Doubletree by Hilton Austin hotel. I enjoyed reading that our staff was able to make your stay feel like home. We encourage our staff to go above and beyond to ensure this occurs. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Austin.

All the Best,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Excellent service and friendly personnel. The staff provided and met our needs. The facility was comfortable and clean. We got or questions answered and were assisted in directions to near eating facilities and stores we could go shoppinf at. Thank you for your kindness and respect.

Dear Anita L,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel. I was thrilled to read our staff was readily available to assist with directions to local restaurants and shops. We truly enjoy hosting the Pearson group and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Internet was so slow as to be virtually unusable. Don't expect to be able to do much other than check email (slowly). Bed was so lumpy I couldn't sleep. They socked us with a $10 parking fee that wasn't disclosed in advance, which, coupled with the room rate, made the price higher than comparable rooms nearby. The parking garage was so short, we couldn't open the rear door of our SUV all the way up and had to crouch down to unload our bags out the door while one person held it down. Overall, will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Phil H,
Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay in Austin and I would like to sincerely apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. All though not everyone appreciates paying for parking, most guests like to convenience of covered parking to protect their vehicles from the elements. I thank you again, and hopefully you will give our hotel a second chance the next time you are in Austin.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The beds were horrible. I expected so much more out of this hotel. The room never cooled properly. It was extremely humid inside our room. We had to call maintenance when we arrived because there was not any hot water. No plugs beside the bed to charge you phone. Had to plug it up across the room. Will not stay at this property or chain of hotels again.

Dear Brandi S,
Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Austin hotel for your recent trip. Our hotel guarantees a restful night’s sleep and I want to apologize that we fell short of this commitment. I can assure you that the correct steps have been taken to prevent this from happening in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This Doubletree location is attractive on the outside, but not so pleasant on the inside. It is located right off of I-35 hence it is a good location to get to just about anywhere in Central or East Austin. It's a bit of a maze to find your room and the interior design needs to be updated. The room was decently clean, but refrigerators and microwaves are not in each room. Not a horrible place to stay, it's just okay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear 724aprils,
Thank you taking the time to comment about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Austin Hotel, We greatly appreciate your input and will use this feedback to improve the hotel.

Warm Regards,