“Unreasonable rate policy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 197 Hotels in Austin
San Diego, CA
“Unreasonable rate policy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Generally a decent hotel although a bit far away from the hub. When I needed to add a night, not only did they not honor the original rate, they wanted to increase the rate for every night, indicating that I had to cancel and re-book the entire stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank jklSanDiego_CA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Richmond, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Let me preface by saying this hotel is great value for the amazing location - proximity to the hip South Congress and downtown area is stellar. My favs are the large rooms and comfy beds. I also had a great experience w/ in-room dining. The cons included sketchy self-parking. I have used valet in the past and won't self park again at this hotel. As a female business traveler, my safety felt compromised walking in the parking garage and to/from the hotel. In addition, the side access door (which is closer to the hotel than the lobby), would not work with my room key. I reported this to the front desk and they said they would promptly call maintenance out to fix it. My room was also located directly across from the elevator bank and I endured noise all hours of the day. It wasn't terrible but if you want peace and quiet, request a room away from the elevators.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Thank Jennifer Kathle... D
Rabat, Morocco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

As a Hilton HHonors member, I chose this one because it is right at that middle point of being nicer but not over 200USD a night. The rooms were clean and giant! Comfortable beds, soft and clean bedsheets and good water pressure in the shower. The only odd thing is, it's in an atrium and you have windows that face inwards into the atrium. Breakfast was included and it was decent (your normal buffet). The employees were very nice and helpful and it's right along Lake/River Lady Bird and jogging trails so that was great. The pool and hot tub were so-so, but the gym was decent with both varied machines and free weights. Oh and our sofa happened to be a sofa-bed. We didn't need it, but good to know it seems to be in most of the rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
San Antonio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

The location and whole hotel stay was just perfect! The view and cleanliness of the suite was amazing, and the complimentary happy hour and breakfast was more than I expected. I will definitely consider this hotel the next time that I am in ATX.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Edison, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I am a Marriott Rewards member and always stay at their properties. Recently stayed at an Embassy Suites in Hunt Valley, MD and was very pleased, so when choosing a hotel for a visit to Austin, Texas I booked Embassy Suites. Most of the employees were very helpful and nice, and even though I was surprised at the Manager's Happy Hour food offerings - MD. was much more substantial - I will never stay there again because of room cleanliness. Second day there we were gone from 10:00am to 10:00pm, and upon returning found a room that was barely cleaned. The toilet had not been cleaned, there was dust everywhere, no vacuuming, and my t-shirt was found in the corner of the bathroom on the floor. Although I called downstairs and reported what we found, housecleaning never even called up to our room to apologize or even acknowledge what had happened. The next day the same level of cleaning was found. I will never stay at Embassy Suites again- Marriott - I am coming back

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carole B
JodySmith, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin - Downtown/Town Lake, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize that your room cleanliness was not up to your standards during your stay at our hotel.
Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Jody Smith
Addison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The location of the hotel was convenient to downtown. We found the room to be very clean and extremely nice. Our room was quiet and the bed was really comfortable and the best sleep we have had in a while! The complimentary happy hour and breakfast to order can't be beat. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel is nice, clean, quiet and in a good location. The rooms are all suites, so there is lots of room. The free breakfast is extensive and there is a free afternoon/evening reception that looked quite nice (we were too busy with the South by Southwest Music Festival to take advantage of it). We would return again.

Room Tip: If you care (we did not) you can ask for a City/lake view. It seems that a higher floor is nicer, b...